King Ranch

Tire pressure sensor problem.

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 05:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RockPick
DARN good question... I may drop it this weekend and give it a good lookin' at. *yee haw!*

That is a very good idea Jack....
Strange how the obvious eludes us sometimes.
It would be great if the spare DID have a sensor, but I am pretty sure the wheel is not a King Ranch wheel, just a token steel thing, otherwise life would become simple, plus I bet costcutting means it won't have a sensor!

I'll let Brad take the spare out first and let us know !!!

Old 08-27-2008, 06:28 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Uhh... I may make a few calls before I drop the thing...

Old 08-27-2008, 08:05 PM
no sensor in the spare guys.

Old 08-28-2008, 07:35 AM
Moderator &

Shucky durn. I didn't figure that there would be. Thanks Para.

Old 08-28-2008, 10:06 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
Nothing's ever easy, is it? I was hoping, since it is a "regular" tire and not a "space saver" thing on our trucks....

- Jack

Old 08-28-2008, 10:30 AM
And its a regular steel wheel not a KR special.

I changed the rear wheels around and the sensor problem is now on the RR (Right Rear) so its definitely the sensor IN that wheel.
Which is a real PITA because its a new sensor I had FEDEX send over at a cost of $150.00, and now I'm no wiser.

Hopefully someone might tell me it could have been fitted incorrectly.....In which case I will have a fitter take the wheel off and refit tire and sensor.
Otherwise its a bit of black tape over the warning light which makes a nonsense of the whole system!

Old 08-28-2008, 10:41 AM
Moderator &

Isn't electrical tape great stuff though?

I feel your pain, John. Our problem started at nearly an identical time in that we had new rubber put on the Explorer. Following that installation, the system, intermittently, would send the warning signal to the 'message center' but, almost as soon as it would come on, it'd go off. This occurred a few times during the 2.5 hour drive back from 'home' (which is where I had the tires installed due to being able to get a *much* better deal).

My plan at this point is to monitor the tire pressure manually to ensure that the system isn't, indeed, throwing a correct message at me. From there, we'll drive this particular vehicle back home and have those guys look at it because of the correlation between the new tires and this problem - which is now far more frequent than 'intermittent'.

Old 08-28-2008, 02:16 PM
Hey Brad,
If you are ever able to resolve your problem let me know.

These silly problems irritate the hell out of me.....I like things to work correctly.
Trouble is no one on this side of the pond....at least here in rural Wales, seems to have a clue.

Most of the time the warning message flashes up..." Low Tire Presure".

Of course I can cancel that on the message center, though the little tire symbol remains lit. (The bit I will cover up with black tape)

Every so often though I get the warning 'bong' and the message changes to "Tire sensor problem". Then though the little tire symbol goes away !!

AAArrgghhh!!!

Old 08-28-2008, 05:39 PM
Len new does not guarantee good. Since you switched the wheel and it went to the other side it has to be a faulty sensor. RP did you try and switch wheels like Len did? Then if the switched wheel trains you should be able to run down the bad sensor or sensors. By the way your relearn procedure is some really good info I'm gonna save in case I ever run into the same problem.

Old 09-04-2008, 12:57 PM
Moderator &

I haven't had the time to attempt to isolate the problem on our Explorer. Rather than 'low tire pressure', we get an error of 'tire sensor fault'. 90 times out of 100, it resets on it's own without the need to press the 'reset' button. The other 10 times, it'll hold until you shut the vehicle down and then it's magically gone on the next restart.

Gremlins in the system, I think.

Old 09-04-2008, 05:57 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
That's just plain weird, Brad! In my experience, something intermittent like that becomes "steady" after a while.

- Jack

Old 10-24-2008, 12:59 AM
Fwiw-

I had this tire pressure warning happen on my 08 Expy...

I followed the first step of the instructions listed above, and the problem resolved without a magnet or the fob.

It seems the systems may be smarter now?

Also, the issue was never there until I had a blow out this past June... we didn't have another indicator pop up until this week... when I parked near a huge 15" woofer magnet in my garage.

I gotta move those old woofers!

Last edited by IROC it; 10-24-2008 at 01:02 AM.

Quick Reply: Tire pressure sensor problem.