Locking garage door remote? Keychain remote, or hidden homelink?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2005, 11:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Locking garage door remote? Keychain remote, or hidden homelink?

I just bought my first full-sized truck last week, and to my surprise, it doesn't fit in the garage. So, I just park in the driveway. BUT, with all the car thefts and break-ins in the Phoenix area, I don't want to leave an obvious garage door opener/remote in my truck (06 F150 Super, 4x4 5.4). Any ideas on how to either get a keychain garage door remote (take inside), or a remote that requires a code to open the door, or a homelink or whatever device that I can hide in the vehicle and use something like a hidden under-seat button to open the garage.

I always lock the garage to house door at night, but there are expensive mtn bikes, cars, tools, etc in my garage that I would like to keep there.

I already have the watch dog, the 75lb pit bull, the schlage hi-sec locks, the 12 gauge pump (OO buck and Slug), and the .357, I just need a good garage door opener.

Justin

Old 12-07-2005, 11:21 AM
I remember a post a few years ago about how a member removed the guts from his garage opener remote and soldered in a new push button. He then mounted the push button in an inconspicuous place and hid the guts behind a dash panel. You'll have to search for it for more details.

My truck is also parked outside with an opener remote clipped to the visor. I have my garage door opener power outlet on a switch and turn it off at night. It's worked for 15 years with no problems. I also have motion lights aimed at the driveway.

Last edited by FrankLee; 12-07-2005 at 11:24 AM.
Old 12-07-2005, 12:33 PM
Do some research on the opener, some can be programmed to your car alarm remote. My genie can and it gives you the signal it requires.

Old 12-07-2005, 12:52 PM
Might be time for the dog to sleep in the garage. I think Craftsman makes a keychain remote. Good Luck.

Old 12-22-2005, 05:21 PM
Check Ebay for a small gar. door opener. I think there is a model called "Skyline" that is about the size of a remote lock transmitter and will hang on your key chain.

Old 01-18-2006, 08:58 AM
I actually have something like this in my setup. I added an alarm with a remote start to my truck, but since it has a trunk pop option (for a car), I took that output wire (+) and ran that to a relay. the relay is then hardwired to the garage remote control and stuffed way up in the dash where it can't be reached without major dis-assembly. So when you press and hold the "trunk pop" button on my remote, it will act like the button contacts are closed on the garage remote and open it up.

Its really sweet for daily use, cause that way as long as I have my keys (and the truck is in the driveway) I can just walk up to the door and open it and walk in without having to use the side door (detached garage, so its convient)

Also when I come home on the bike, I can just hit the remote and its open...

Another option would be the same idea, except without having to add a button, you could use a little used button and put a relay into that, for example, when you pull back on the high beam stick, you could "tap" into that, so that when you come home, you pull the stick back and "flash" your garage door, and it magically opens ;-P

Let me know via email if you need help with the relay functions, its really simple once you look at it layed out.

Good luck!!

Old 01-18-2006, 08:20 PM
Use a homelink door opener that's connected to ignition switched 12 volt. The system only works when the key is on. Anyone breaking into your truck will just think the homelink is not programmed or broken.

Old 01-18-2006, 09:05 PM
How about a wireless key pad like the one you put outside the garage and you have the code.I don't know the range but it may work parked up close.You could put it up on the top rail or some where it's easy to do the numbers.Well that's my 2 cents

Quick Reply: Locking garage door remote? Keychain remote, or hidden homelink?