Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 03:45 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2015 F150 headlights explained ....

http://www.plasticsnews.com/article/...ks-to-plastics

MGD

Old 01-22-2014, 03:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Huh, didn't know they were using LEDs for the actual light beam itself. I guess they're better in a proper housing than when used PnP style.

Old 01-22-2014, 04:03 PM
Originally Posted by KMAC0694
Huh, didn't know they were using LEDs for the actual light beam itself. I guess they're better in a proper housing than when used PnP style.
Yep. Where you been?

Looks like they are finally starting to become mainstream. Volume goes up - prices come down. One can only hope.

TRS sells some takeoffs from high-zoot Euro/Asian vee-hikkles fer folks with the requisite tinkerin' skills to make em' fit & work elsewhere.

MGD

Old 01-22-2014, 04:09 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I still think they are jumping the gun with the LEDs. LEDs still aren't there yet in terms of performance. Yes they are better than HIDs with instant on no warm up time lighting, but the lumens still aren't there. I guess we'll see how these are when they come out later this year.

Old 01-23-2014, 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by MGDfan
Yep. Where you been?

Looks like they are finally starting to become mainstream. Volume goes up - prices come down. One can only hope.

TRS sells some takeoffs from high-zoot Euro/Asian vee-hikkles fer folks with the requisite tinkerin' skills to make em' fit & work elsewhere.

MGD
I've heard "LED headlights" in reference to them tons of times, but always thought it was only referring to the LED tube deals that glow around the headlight. I definitely didn't think the bulbs were LED. Guess I wasn't thinking about it how I needed to or not paying enough attention.

I also think it's pretty strange that next to no-one actually runs these, yet Ford is using them. Usually the aftermarket is a little ahead of the manufacturers, like in the case of HIDs for example. Maybe the high-end cars came up with projectors for HIDs first, I don't know. But we've certainly been adding them well before Ford (and other "normal" brands) ever bothered for the '13s. Pretty cool that Ford is right on top of these already though.

Are the LEDs standard and the HIDs still the top option?

Old 01-23-2014, 07:32 AM
Originally Posted by KMAC0694
I've heard "LED headlights" in reference to them tons of times, but always thought it was only referring to the LED tube deals that glow around the headlight. I definitely didn't think the bulbs were LED. Guess I wasn't thinking about it how I needed to or not paying enough attention.

I also think it's pretty strange that next to no-one actually runs these, yet Ford is using them. Usually the aftermarket is a little ahead of the manufacturers, like in the case of HIDs for example. Maybe the high-end cars came up with projectors for HIDs first, I don't know. But we've certainly been adding them well before Ford (and other "normal" brands) ever bothered for the '13s. Pretty cool that Ford is right on top of these already though.

Are the LEDs standard and the HIDs still the top option?
Could be out to lunch, but I *think* the LEDs are standard on higher trims, optional on some, with Halogens standard on everything else. No HID's.

Where's Raptor - he's up on the State-of-the Union w.r.t OEM LED implementations...

Y'know - I just remembered - our new local city buses use LED heads. The look all the world like a Rigid quad LED module behind a lens. I'll try to grab a pic at some point.

Crap - shoulda posted this in the 2015 forum, lol. ( hint hint )

MGD

Old 01-23-2014, 08:53 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
fords going in the right direction with these....for once they're ahead of the others....

look at Harley's relationship with JW Speaker.....for three years now they have been manufacturing LEDs for the motorcycles with very little issues...

Mercedes, BMW, Acura, Lexes, etc have all moved in this direction....

at least they didn't make it fly eyed like the acura mdx....lol

Old 01-23-2014, 09:07 AM
Originally Posted by 88racing
fords going in the right direction with these....for once they're ahead of the others....

look at Harley's relationship with JW Speaker.....for three years now they have been manufacturing LEDs for the motorcycles with very little issues...

Mercedes, BMW, Acura, Lexes, etc have all moved in this direction....

at least they didn't make it fly eyed like the acura mdx....lol
^^^ LMFAO !!!

Yeah - kin yall imagine the biotchin' & whinin' in the 2015 F150 forum if they had? It's bad enough in thar already. Havin' an angry rice-rocket front-end would send 'em over the phookin' cliff,

Some Folks really Don't like change, at the end of the day ...

MGD

Old 01-23-2014, 09:59 AM
And the rear lights include a radar monitoring system .What happens when the rear light is broken ? How much is it going to cost ?

Old 01-23-2014, 10:07 AM
Just when I thought I was cool for having HID headlights, they go and do something like this...and totally redeem themselves!

Old 01-23-2014, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by MGDfan
Could be out to lunch, but I *think* the LEDs are standard on higher trims, optional on some, with Halogens standard on everything else. No HID's.

Where's Raptor - he's up on the State-of-the Union w.r.t OEM LED implementations...

Y'know - I just remembered - our new local city buses use LED heads. The look all the world like a Rigid quad LED module behind a lens. I'll try to grab a pic at some point.

Crap - shoulda posted this in the 2015 forum, lol. ( hint hint )

MGD

I think I'd rather have the HIDs still. What the hell was the point in investing a bunch of R&D on the HIDs, only to turn around and go to LED after 2 years?

Old 01-25-2014, 08:51 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
A lot of manufacturers have LED headlamps. Lexus, Mercedes, BMW, Mitsubishi, Toyota, Cadillac. I think Ford is the first "low budget/high volume" manufacturer to offer them a platform such as the F-150. I haven't been on HIDplanet.com much, but I am sure the guys over there have identified which LED dies they are using and their specs. Likewise, in the past few years, OEM LED applications have doubled, meaning that R&D has made them cheaper and more powerful. I'll go search for the numbers but right now, knowing nothing, I bet they are on-par with luminous output of HIDs.

I'd also like to know the line-up and pricing of each. The R&D of the HIDs aren't wasted. Ford used pre-existing projectors with pre-existing technology. All they had to do was mold the plastic housings around them. That's why you can get the housings for a buck fifty on eBay and slap some decent projectors in them.

Old 01-25-2014, 12:27 PM
Originally Posted by Raptor05121
I haven't been on HIDplanet.com much, but I am sure the guys over there have identified which LED dies they are using and their specs.
I'm on there almost everyday and haven't seen anything on it yet, so maybe I'll start a thread and see what info I can dig up.

Old 01-26-2014, 11:43 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The new KIA K900 uses LED headlamps and they turn up to 12 degrees with steering input. I looked at this car, it is very sweet...........

Old 01-26-2014, 02:45 PM
I always looked the idea of headlights that turned with the car fit better lighting when turning down a dark road or driveway.

I also think trucks should have auto leveling motors for the lights for when they have a load on them the lights aren't pointed into oncoming traffics eyes. Especially now that they are using brighter lights then halogens.

Quick Reply: 2015 F150 headlights explained ....