2006 SCrew, want driving lights where fogs are

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 03:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 SCrew, want driving lights where fogs are

We have the round fog lights in the bumper and would like to replace them with driving lights instead. Looking for a fairly easy fit-up. Ideas?

My wife was in an accident and the front was mashed up so the new headlights which were OEM but not Ford were horrible (couldn't see at night) were replaced with actual Ford headlight assemblies but it's nowhere near as bright as our 2009 Infiniti M35 Xenons are so I would like to get more light for her.

Old 12-22-2013, 10:28 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Easy Cheap Quality. Pick two out of the three. Easy fit-up would be the crap lights you see on eBay. Cheap is also the same. If you want quality, get a xenon projector and retrofit them into the fog lamp housings, just like your Infiniti's headlamps.

Old 12-22-2013, 03:01 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Didn't some one mod PIAA lights in place of the round fogs?

Edit: found it- https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...270&styleid=16

Last edited by thelariat02; 12-22-2013 at 03:07 PM.
Old 12-22-2013, 07:52 PM
Thanks for the link thelariat02. Looked at it and it doesn't look to difficult but I am not sure about the comments in the thread about blinding people... I need to make sure whatever I install can be pointed so that they are useful without blinding oncoming traffic.

Raptor05121, I agree. I don't want to break the bank, but also don't want to go super cheap and have to replace whatever it is within 6 months to a year. Can the Xenon retrofits be pointed? I found the link to http://www.projectoretrofits.com and was thinking of contacting the to see what they say. Not cheap, but if it does what I need and can be pointed properly and easily installed, that's a slam dunk.

Old 12-22-2013, 07:59 PM
What's your plan do you want better lights for driving or better fog lights?
If just looking for better driving lights i wouldn't mess with your fogs. I would go straight to a headlight retrofit . Those will be pricey tho, but worth it.

In regards to those PIAA lights i believe you can get a fog light pattern instead of driving light pattern (which he has in that thread).

All depends what the exact goal is in the end..

Old 12-22-2013, 08:01 PM
Heck, looking at the Piaa 510 thread, there is a link to some brackets (left and right are two different part numbers). If that means removing the stock lights and then replacing it with these brackets and the Piaa's, that seems like an easy thing. As for wiring it up, I would probably go with the standard switch.

Old 12-22-2013, 08:08 PM
thelariat02, didn't see your reply until after I made the last reply.

The end goal is simple. Give my wife better visibility without blinding others. When she is driving home from work, she is driving through some residential areas that don't have very good street lighting and for some reason, lots of people running crossing the street and such (wearing dark colors) and she just wants to be able to see better. I had figured replacing the fog lights would be faster/cheaper than doing the full headlights.

Old 12-23-2013, 12:35 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SVonhof
thelariat02, didn't see your reply until after I made the last reply.

The end goal is simple. Give my wife better visibility without blinding others. When she is driving home from work, she is driving through some residential areas that don't have very good street lighting and for some reason, lots of people running crossing the street and such (wearing dark colors) and she just wants to be able to see better. I had figured replacing the fog lights would be faster/cheaper than doing the full headlights.
Sounds more like a common-sense mod to the folks running around in the dark is an easier fix than having to enhance your own vehicle. However, at least enhancing your own vehicle will actually work... People these days .

Old 12-23-2013, 12:43 AM
Yeah, after the accident, my wife is kinda paranoid about things and rightfully so after I drove through the area and saw it firsthand. Not a great area and for some reason, that's what it translates to.

BTW, on topic, I did e-mail Projectoretrofit to ask about adjust-ability of the beams and such. I will also keep considering doing the PIAA mod or even look at the CREE LED solutions that are out there as well. I know some people are doing the triple CREE's on their motorcycle with good results.

Old 12-23-2013, 06:24 PM
I figure you have one of 4 options. (or all if you have the money)

1. Do the piaa mod , but with the fog light beam pattern and see how that works. ($300+)
2. Do the piaa mod, but with the driving light beam pattern and just shut them off when you approach on coming traffic. ($300+)

3. Retrofit match box projectors into your stock fog lights aimed at stock fog light height as to not blind anyone. ($200+ doing yourself $300+ someone else does it for you)

4. (and my favorite) Do a full retrofit to your headlights using bi-xenon projectors. ($200-$400 doing yourself and depending on projector. $400-$1000 someone does it for you and depending on projector)

I would do number 4 if you can do it yourself. Best bang for your buck if you're trying to get better driving lights.

Old 12-24-2013, 08:27 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Not sure where those PIAA prices are from.

You can get PIAA 510 driving lamps on Amazon shipped for 150.00 all day long for the kit ( includes wiring harness ). White fog lamp kit is 190.00 shipped.

PIAA also makes a LED driving and fog lamp kit, but under 200.00 shipped.

I have not tried the driving lamp kit, but the LED fog lamp kit is not bad.
- Put a set of the 5370s on Dad's RV. Work pretty well for additional lighting in front of the RV without annoying oncoming traffic.

Another option that requires a bit more DIY work and a wiring harness is going with a Hella fog or low beam headlamp in the factory housing.
- This gives you a mount with the hella adjusters for fine tuning them and any 90mm module would work similar.

These are some pictures from the 90mm fog lamp mod I tried 1st.

Both routes would be the relay harness triggered by the factory fog lamp lead under the bumper.

Old 12-24-2013, 08:34 AM
Originally Posted by SSCULLY
Not sure where those PIAA prices are from.
Directly from the PIAA website. Didn't do any deep searching, just clicked the first link I found, which was their website.

Quick Reply: 2006 SCrew, want driving lights where fogs are