Led lights

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 01:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Led lights

I want to change all exterior lighting to led bulbs on my 2002 f150 screw 4x4. Do I need anything special to make everything work like my turn signals to blink normal etc or will just the replacement bulbs be good. Thanks

Old 05-23-2013, 11:12 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
You need a Tridon EP-27 LED Flasher, most automotive stores carry them. Also, LEDs in your brake lights won't be anywhere near as bright as your stock lights, so be careful

Old 05-23-2013, 01:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Raptor05121
You need a Tridon EP-27 LED Flasher, most automotive stores carry them. Also, LEDs in your brake lights won't be anywhere near as bright as your stock lights, so be careful
Need the flasher like Raptor said

The LED's that I have in my brakes and up front destroy the stock bulbs why would you say they are dimmer? Guess it depends on what bulb your talking about mine were pretty expensive.

Old 05-23-2013, 04:20 PM
Thanks. Do they make a led headlight bulb? And if so how bright are they over halogen

Old 05-23-2013, 05:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Usmcjwg
Thanks. Do they make a led headlight bulb? And if so how bright are they over halogen
Here is what the ones I bought look like and Putco makes them as well http://www.carid.com/putco/tail-ligh...led-bulbs.html. Like I said they were pretty expensive (~$50 for a pair) but got them as a gift =)

They do have LED headlights nowadays but they are extremely expensive and you would be better off getting HID Projectors they will be the color that an LED can get depending upon which Kelvin number you choose. Huge improvement over stock output

Old 05-23-2013, 07:38 PM
Thanks

Old 05-23-2013, 08:47 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Pockets
The LED's that I have in my brakes and up front destroy the stock bulbs why would you say they are dimmer? Guess it depends on what bulb your talking about mine were pretty expensive.
No, the reflector is designed for a spherical bulb. Your LED drop-in does not strike the reflector accurately so you are not getting full output. Standing back and looking at it isn't a scientific method. If you had a luminous flux meter, it would tell you that the incandescent bulbs are brighter and more efficient across the reflective plane. Standard 3157 bulbs have an output of about 350 lumens. In comparison, that is in the 3W Rebel LED territory. No matter how expensive or many LEDs you are using, you are probably around 60-100lm or so.

Originally Posted by Usmcjwg
No. Like I said above, your headlights are designed specifically for halogen-based light sources. Any change of that (even an HID bulb) will cause glare and scatter light since the focal point of the light source is different from a halogen bulb. Not to mention, LEDs do not yet create the same amount of efficacy of halogens. To get 1800lm from a LED headlight, it would be VERY expensive and require a massive heatsink. Currently only high-end cars (Mercedes, Ferrari, Cadillac) are using LED headlamps, and one single headlamp itself costs about $3,000 and has about 3 different projectors and several reflectors.

Originally Posted by Pockets
Here is what the ones I bought look like and Putco makes them as well http://www.carid.com/putco/tail-ligh...led-bulbs.html. Like I said they were pretty expensive (~$50 for a pair) but got them as a gift =)

They do have LED headlights nowadays but they are extremely expensive and you would be better off getting HID Projectors they will be the color that an LED can get depending upon which Kelvin number you choose. Huge improvement over stock output
Putco (we call it Putcrap) is the laughing stock of the lighting world. Made in China with a high pricetag to make you think you bought something useful. There is a reason you find plenty of Putco's products at VatoZone and not at any name-brand lighting sources. Clicking on that link further proves it. Nowhere do I see claimed output, kelvin rating, etc. All I see is a lot of marketing to try and sell it to you. Proper diodes will give you forward voltage, kelvin, luminous flux, etc.

And like I said above, you cannot simply drop a HID capsule into a halogen reflector. You will blind everyone and I have been to several car fires started by faulty Chinese ballasts.

Old 08-18-2014, 04:16 PM
I have a 2002 F150 lariat supercrew and I was wondering how to wire load resistors into my taillights because my 3157 bulbs in my taillights ''there are 2 bulbs 1 reverse light and everything else is in the other bulb'' how does that work can anyone explain?

Quick Reply: Led lights