HID's went poof

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 08:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i'd just get a new ballast. for some reason. i've never had any problems with any of my hid's but had a friend that had the problem you are. it's gotta be a ballast.

Old 03-27-2012, 08:30 PM
Originally Posted by KillaF150
I bought them from eobcraven. I'm just tryin to figure out how to fix it, but if you guys have suggestions on a better kit than i'm all ears. I'd like to get it fixed asap
The only kit to get is a Phillips HID kit, anything else is garbage and you're better of with "whiter" halogens. IMO. As someone who does a bulk of their driving at night, HID's are a near requirement.

Old 03-27-2012, 08:46 PM
Originally Posted by ryanwagner78
The only kit to get is a Phillips HID kit, anything else is garbage and you're better of with "whiter" halogens. IMO. As someone who does a bulk of their driving at night, HID's are a near requirement.
you might as well delete that... raptor and the retrofit club are gonna tear you a new one

Old 03-27-2012, 08:50 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by 97isnotold
you might as well delete that... raptor and the retrofit club are gonna tear you a new one

Old 03-27-2012, 09:47 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Had to go look, Sylvania some time back had the Xeonarc HID kit that replaced the headlamp housing for 00-03 MY trucks.

This one was quite funny, found a site ( hiding under a Phillips name similar domain name ) , selected the menu option on the left for Glare Resistant HID Kit

This is what came up on the page :

There are no products in this category.

Old 03-27-2012, 10:18 PM

If you are running a relay harness for the HIDs check the fuse on the harness. If your not, you should be. I would be more worried with what else blew, or melted if you blew out 2 ballasts. How do you know the HID bulbs are not blown?

Old 03-27-2012, 11:33 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ryanwagner78
Are you running D2S or H13 bulbs with your Philips kit?

Originally Posted by 97isnotold
Nope. I agree. HIDs are a must for nighttime driving. I just hope you use proper optics

Originally Posted by SSCULLY
Had to go look, Sylvania some time back had the Xeonarc HID kit that replaced the headlamp housing for 00-03 MY trucks.

This one was quite funny, found a site ( hiding under a Phillips name similar domain name ) , selected the menu option on the left for Glare Resistant HID Kit

This is what came up on the page :

I seriously LOLed at that. +1

Old 03-28-2012, 06:36 PM
Originally Posted by Crash!
Forgive my ignoance, but what does PnP mean?
Plug 'n Play .... or as it's more commonly known, Plug 'n Pray

Old 03-30-2012, 12:18 AM
It's either the bulbs or the ballasts. I've eliminated the fuses and the truck's wiring. I'm leaning more towards the ballasts though. How do I tell if the bulbs are blown?

Old 03-30-2012, 08:30 AM
Originally Posted by KillaF150
It's either the bulbs or the ballasts. I've eliminated the fuses and the truck's wiring. I'm leaning more towards the ballasts though. How do I tell if the bulbs are blown?
HID bulbs? Connect to a known good ballast - can't really tell using the Mark 1 Eyeball test, unless the capsule is obviously compromised.

Old 04-01-2012, 01:16 AM

I've had horrible experiences with the garbage chinese s**t in the past, but my wife's truck is driving 4 years on the "XENTEC bi-xenon" kit (might have helped me a while ago to be smart and use a relay and harness like I did hers). More than likely it's a ballast that died. Your best bet is to look around and ask about HID sets. Personally, I got my current set from ddmtuning.com and I've had no problems with it. Just make sure you get the harness for it because like MGDfan said, PnP = Plug 'n Pray.

Quick Reply: HID's went poof