Severely cloudy, rough headlight lenses 2000 F150

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 09:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Severely cloudy, rough headlight lenses 2000 F150

My '00 F150 didn't pass inspection this yr (did last - same inspection tech???) because of cloudy lenses. They weren't JUST cloudy - they were crusty / rough over much of lens. Felt like a piece of 150 grit sand paper that is worn down some.

Question: I've read somewhere that the acrylic lenses are coated w/ some protective / UV resistant layer (like eyeglasses) & this is what is oxidizing, getting damaged. True or not, they said if you resort to abrasive products / wet sanding, then polishing, you remove the protective layer. Said the polishing / clarity will then be short lived.

Any info on that? FYI, mine appear to be acrylic - not polycarbonate - no yellowing.

I tried one of the "restoration" liquids - worthless on ones as bad as mine -even w/ buffing wheel. Maybe I ruined the lenses (for the long term), but eventually had to use 1200 grit wet/ dry, then 2000, then 3 diff polishing compounds w/ drill & buffing wheels (not pads) to get them clear. Also saw kits in store that included wet / dry paper & polishing liquid.

Surely, has to be an easier way for ones in bad shape? For my time involved, kinda wish had just ordered some new ones from internet.

Old 03-03-2011, 11:08 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Can you post pics?

Old 03-03-2011, 01:27 PM
Only of the finished, polished lenses. Didn't take any before I started.

Took a hell of long time, even w/ right equip & knowledge of polishing to do both lenses. I'd like not to do it again, if possible.

I don't know about UV protection coating or what Ford did/ didn't put on them. Acrylic doesn't yellow in sunlight like polycarbonate, but doesn't mean it won't break down over yrs, if unprotected from UV. Plastics CAN have UV protection added to them before molding.

Some products sold as "lens sealers" claim UV protection. They can say whatever they want on label. However, I looked at couple of MSDS - one for Blue Magic lens sealer & one for Maguire PlastX. Neither has anything that would qualify as UV protectant, AFAIK. Correct me if wrong.

The Blue magic is mostly silicone (Polydimethylsiloxane) - not a UV filter, AFAIK. Maguire's was just hydrocarbons & some polishing agent (alum. carbide?). Didn't look at any other brands MSDS yet. Hoping for suggestions.

Old 03-03-2011, 01:35 PM
I have a professional headlight lens cleaning kit that comes with a spray bottle that sprays back on the coating that sanding the lens removes. Can't buy it in stores though.

Old 03-03-2011, 03:51 PM
You own a kit or sell them?

Not sure if this forum allows advertising (if you sell them). If bought it, where & how much?

Any idea what the orig "professional" coating was?

Old 03-03-2011, 04:28 PM
Originally Posted by phkhgh
You own a kit or sell them?

Not sure if this forum allows advertising (if you sell them). If bought it, where & how much?

Any idea what the orig "professional" coating was?
No,I just have a kit. It was givin to my mom when she worked at a Lincoln/Mercury dealership. Its called Light Rite light restoration and repair. Its manufactured by Search Automotive Technologies. I have never used it because i'm getting projector headlights installed saturday.

Old 03-04-2011, 10:18 AM
The Light Rite restoration kits are avail online from various sellers.

All the lens "sealers / restorers" claim to be best. Several have nothing in them remotely long lived - possibly no UV protection at all.

Hope to get suggestions from others who've used "sealing" products that seemed to have lasted for yrs (maybe even Light Rite). I'm thinking it'll be more than a "wipe on, wipe off" product.

Old 03-07-2011, 09:04 AM
Easy way to fix? Buy my old but new looking set! I've got my original set that I restored and it came out pretty decent. Comes with the crystal APC corners that look factory. Pics in my gallery if interested.

Quick Reply: Severely cloudy, rough headlight lenses 2000 F150