97-03 F150 Double Din Installation Guide

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 01:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Awesome tut! Exactly what I was looking for. Just one last missing part....how does the molding come off?

Thanks again!

Old 11-27-2007, 03:03 AM
Originally Posted by jemlay
Awesome tut! Exactly what I was looking for. Just one last missing part....how does the molding come off?

Thanks again!
Turn vents in. And pull. That easy.

Old 11-29-2007, 01:25 PM
HA! I would have never had the guts to just yank on it

Thanks!

Old 12-18-2007, 02:18 PM
Originally Posted by slowguy
https://www.f150online.com/galleries....cfm?gnum=9964

Thanks to PipeHitter for posting the info and photos. Although my 2001 Supercrew required additional dash cutting his photos and descriptions helped me get the job done. I added my own photos of my install to help anyone who may require the additional dash mods.
This install takes time but is well worth the effort. Feel free to email me with any questions.
ET
Yea I had to cut alot on mine but it's a '00.

Old 12-25-2007, 09:19 PM
i wish i would have found ur pix on how to install this avic d3 before i did it myself. But all in all, it was very simple, once i figured out what i should do. it took me less then 5 hours to install the sirius, avic d3, amp, and sub woofer. definatly worth it....

Old 01-02-2008, 09:39 PM
VSS wire

where did you guys tap into the Vehicle speed sensor? I have a 99 f150 lariat. I have done all the trim work still waiting on a company in Tampa to get the dash kit in.

Old 01-03-2008, 12:34 PM
Originally Posted by ChevySUXXX
where did you guys tap into the Vehicle speed sensor? I have a 99 f150 lariat. I have done all the trim work still waiting on a company in Tampa to get the dash kit in.
The engine or cruise control box is the only place to catch it. Or buy a speed sensor. But for Pioneers its not needed. And DONT GO trying to find it. It will take about 1-3 hrs and I knew about where it was...

Old 01-03-2008, 05:31 PM
well my gps is pretty far off and would like it to catch up. what do you tihnk i should do?

Old 01-03-2008, 10:22 PM
where should I buy this speed sensor?

Old 03-17-2008, 04:53 PM
I know this reply is most likely too late, but I'll post for the sake of future searches.

I initially tried to find a speed sensor to purchase but had no luck as the item is apparently discontinued from Pioneer. The part# is ND-PG1

here is a link: http://www.savinglots.com/lotprod.asp?item=NDPG1

In the end, I choose to forget about it as my unit seems fairly accurate. Or at least accurate enough for me.

However, I did locate the proper wire in the engine bay fairly easy. If I remember it was the cruise control line and easily reached. So you would need to pass the wire thru the firewall into the bay, but that would be easy enough.

Also, depending on your year and OEM radio you may already have the sensor wire ran to the factory wire harness behind the OEM radio.

The wire colors and locations should be easy enough to find via google, or if need be I can dig up my notes. When searching also try "VSS" as a lot of car audio sites refer to it as that (Variable Speed Sensor).

Old 03-13-2010, 01:54 AM
Originally Posted by PipeHitter
Nicely done! I considered removing the black radio bracket as you did but just didn't want to deal with tearing the dash out. Looking back, most likey would have saved me time in the 'wire-running' portion as it took me forever to fish all the lines through the dash and cram them behind the HU. That hole you threaded yours through looks perfect.

Looks great!!
Hey Pipe I'm upgrading to a double din now, i'm installing a ina-w900 alpine. I have a 2003 HD f150, and I want to remove the black radio bracket like slow did, but I am having trouble removing the dash. do you know where i can find step by step instructions on how to do it, i've googled it but haven't found anything usefull. I also clicked on slow's link to see how he did it, but the link didn't work for me. It said it was down for maintenance. The part I'm having trouble with is underneath the climate control. I removed the ash tray and saw what looks like a clip that's holding it down, but i'm having trouble removing it and i'm reluctant to put too much pressure for fear of braking it. Ill try to post some pictures tomorrow when I have some light.

Old 06-20-2010, 10:48 PM
how do you remove the dash to get to that point? I really need to get behind my HU to get my USB from behind it.

Old 06-21-2010, 08:26 AM
very helpful

I'm pretty handy and I probably could have figured all this out on my own but that would be like reinventing the wheel. Thanks for posting all the nice pics and descriptions.

Old 06-21-2010, 01:07 PM
thanks jake, what exactly you have to trim? like the housing part or just the peice that goes in front? and theres some shiz behind it back there i think i gotta rip out..

Old 01-16-2011, 10:18 AM
[QUOTE=Harness: I didn't cover this as I feel its pretty straight forward. I elected to use Scosche FD16B harness and soldered all my connections together. I double checked Scosche's schematic with Ford's and its dead on.
[/QUOTE]

I installed my unit yesterday in the daytime, I get ready to go pick up my sister at the airport and realized that the 2nd adapter I didnt plug into provides all the dash lights and all.

I have the metra kit and only had one connecter, so thats all I connected. I gotta figure out how to get my lights back today, and schosche doesnt share manuals online . Anyone have the wiring diagrams from the unit for the second (Instrument Panel) connector?

Quick Reply: 97-03 F150 Double Din Installation Guide