97-03 F150 Double Din Installation Guide

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 10:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Those look great. I too have an '01 Screw and had the premium with a 6-disc changer in the console. I have taken that out and put a 6-disc in dash unit in, So already cut the back peice to allow the bigger head unit. I am wanting a double din now. And my buddy that is gonna do the install is tring to talk me into a flip out screen. I really like the smooth look of the double din though.

My main question is: Did you guys have to modify the outter bezel at all to clear the double din unit? I have a Husky Liners dash kit in my truck which has a peice that covers that bezel. As I seen PipeHitter has the woodgrain kit. Did you have to cut or grind on that peice at all. If not, I want a DD even more.

Shane

Old 07-21-2007, 12:11 PM
Originally Posted by hawkfxr724
Fellas,

Did you have to cut much off the sides? I've got the opening ok for the top, but the sides are causing me some grief..........

Daryl
In my case, I didn't have to trim any on the sides as the AVIC-D3 was more narrow than the opening.

Originally Posted by attitude

My main question is: Did you guys have to modify the outter bezel at all to clear the double din unit? I have a Husky Liners dash kit in my truck which has a peice that covers that bezel. As I seen PipeHitter has the woodgrain kit. Did you have to cut or grind on that peice at all. If not, I want a DD even more.

Shane
Nope, didn't have to touch the bezel in my case.

Old 07-26-2007, 11:20 PM
Great write-up on the Avic D3 install - nice clean job!

Do you happen to have your OEM 6-disc changer for sale? Also, was this an in-dash changer?

LMK what you would let it go for shipped to 60560. Feel free so shoot me an email.

Old 07-27-2007, 03:29 AM
When i did mine i actually cut it large enough to use my cage therefore it fit a little better and was more secure without having to drill into the unit. Excellent trim work install and would call it a 3/5 on the difficulty scale. Do to the labor that is required. But fun to learn on. TAKE YOUR TIME. MEASURE 2x CUT 1x.
If any questions or help is needed during. PM and ill give you my cell for help.
Ryan

Old 07-30-2007, 01:40 PM
Originally Posted by titansu
Great write-up on the Avic D3 install - nice clean job!

Do you happen to have your OEM 6-disc changer for sale? Also, was this an in-dash changer?

LMK what you would let it go for shipped to 60560. Feel free so shoot me an email.
Not for sale, gonna put it back in come trade time...but thanks for the offer.

Old 07-31-2007, 04:55 AM
DRJ
Cc

That's funny that circuit city wouldn't do it, I work there as an installer and we've done a few double dins for 150 bucks plus the 20 dollar harness, o well your install looks clean!

Old 08-09-2007, 10:25 PM
Circuit City installed mine perfectly and they put in the AV jacks....but i work there lol

Old 08-28-2007, 01:18 PM
Double Din

Well I ordered the Double Din today. Should have it tomorrow, hopefully put it in by the weekend.

I ordered a Power Acoustik 5.8" dvd. I think it was PTID-5800 If I remember right. Anyone else have this? Thoughts, on it, like dislike?

I almost got the Pioneer Avic-D3, and am still torn thinking maybe I should have, but it was right at $400 more. And basically for Nav only, it wasn't worth it to me.

Shane

Old 08-28-2007, 04:16 PM
DRJ
I've been eyeing the D3 and I found that the only downside is that with the d3 you can either have a cd or navigation, not both. However, it has an input for audio...let's say to connect a 2nd stereo that could play cd's through AUX while navi is on...That's what I'm planning on doing at least

Old 08-28-2007, 06:16 PM
your climate control

Hey PipeHitter. Not to get off topic but I couldn't help but notice your climate control under your install area. Is that factory or aftermarket? Looks way different than mine if factory and I have a 2003 also. Mine is three *****. Yours looks much nicer.

Old 08-29-2007, 09:08 AM
That is the factory Electronic control. To answer your next question it is not a simple upgrade. There are several expensive modules needed.

Old 08-29-2007, 09:47 AM
Originally Posted by Norm
That is the factory Electronic control. To answer your next question it is not a simple upgrade. There are several expensive modules needed.

LOL!! Of course it is expensive!! Heaven forbid that Ford make it affordable and simple!!

What trim package does that electronic control come with? Mine is an XLT FX4, next step up, I believe, is the Lariat and that King Ranch.

Old 08-29-2007, 11:07 AM
I believe it was an option on XLT and standard on Lariat.

Old 08-29-2007, 11:56 AM
Originally Posted by Norm
I believe it was an option on XLT and standard on Lariat.

It may have been an option, but buying thru X-plan, I had to take what was on the lot, even though the dealer ran a query in the surrounding states to find what I really wanted. So I did take one off the lot and that is what it had. I wouldnt trade my truck for anything now, I love it, but if I ordered it from the factory with some options, that electronic climate control would have been one of them, and a power rear sliding window. Oh well, no need for any climate control now, just drop the windows and ride.

Old 09-03-2007, 06:10 PM

Quick Reply: 97-03 F150 Double Din Installation Guide