All of our fords are put to good use

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 07:55 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by coobies5
I'm going to try the previous attempt method you suggested, I don't have a mig, so that will be a last resort. I don't think I have any awl's though, but I do have some burr bits.
Well, you have some options anyway. It sounded like you were going to give up on it for awhile there.

Hey,- let me know if any of that crap works.

Old 03-08-2013, 12:22 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I appreciate all of the good suggestions! If none of that works, my friend said I could probably have a machine shop drill the centering pin out deep enough to where the retaining bolt should end and it will fall out then. We shall see what happens, I want to work on the rear end last.

I'm already having to fab up some parts for the brake pedal pushrod to get it the right length and I still have to get all of the front suspension back on.

Too many iron's on the fire!

Old 03-08-2013, 04:31 PM

I appreciate all of the good suggestions! If none of that works, my friend said I could probably have a machine shop drill the centering pin out deep enough to where the retaining bolt should end and it will fall out then. We shall see what happens, I want to work on the rear end last.

I'm already having to fab up some parts for the brake pedal pushrod to get it the right length and I still have to get all of the front suspension back on.

Too many iron's on the fire!
Crap, - you confused me with that last one. Oh well, it's not the first time, -been there plenty lol. Anyway, yeah, sounds like you guys got a plan.

Good Luck, - something will pan out for sure.

Old 03-08-2013, 08:56 PM
I did manage to get the booster mounted and secured, along with the distribution block and hardlines secured. Tomorrow will hopefully consist of putting the front end suspension back together!

Old 03-10-2013, 09:27 PM
Well, me and a friend ended up drilling out the centering pin far enough where the threaded part of it is and then we ended up beating the crap out of the pin to knock it out.

All because of this stupid bolt!

Old 03-10-2013, 10:44 PM

Man, are you going to get a break on this one??

Old 03-10-2013, 11:00 PM
Originally Posted by jbrew
Man, are you going to get a break on this one??
Lol, what do you mean exactly?

Old 03-11-2013, 12:25 PM

Right.. Unfortunately, I couldn't think of a better way to put that lol.

Old 03-12-2013, 07:47 PM
hahahaha

any recommendations on this one?

The compressor tool is not turning anymore, even with holding it stationary, the claws actually turned just a bit when I put a lot of force on it. So I tried to get it compressed more with the ratchet straps and it's not budging. I think tomorrow I'm going to get some more spring compressor tools and try to get it on the outside as well. These new coils are super stiff!

Old 03-13-2013, 09:27 PM
Finally!
Ended up having some friends come over and help me with it

Old 03-17-2013, 09:01 PM
Haven't done too much lately, but I did manage to get the backing plate on, mounting bracket, shocks, and the tie rods/steering arm.

Old 03-18-2013, 06:07 PM

hahahaha

any recommendations on this one?

The compressor tool is not turning anymore, even with holding it stationary, the claws actually turned just a bit when I put a lot of force on it. So I tried to get it compressed more with the ratchet straps and it's not budging. I think tomorrow I'm going to get some more spring compressor tools and try to get it on the outside as well. These new coils are super stiff!
That looked like fun! Love the Cargo/Ratchet straps lol. Hey, it might of helped enough.. -Worth a try eh. Looks you needed the extreme duty spring compressor. Springs do look beefy, - that's for sure.

Myself, I haven't had the pleasure with springs of that nature. Did the rear on a Taurus not to long ago, but they weren't nothing like that.

So that compressor would just work to a point, - then quit working? Surprised, - it looks like a good one.

Edit - Oh I see, - the compressor threads would bind/jam under that much pressure. Yea, - larger or dif type needed I expect.

Last edited by jbrew; 03-18-2013 at 06:17 PM.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
haha lmfao soooo true!!!! they will tell you just what you want to here. and sell you nothing like they describe....

Old 03-18-2013, 06:45 PM
Originally Posted by jbrew
That looked like fun! Love the Cargo/Ratchet straps lol. Hey, it might of helped enough.. -Worth a try eh. Looks you needed the extreme duty spring compressor. Springs do look beefy, - that's for sure.

Myself, I haven't had the pleasure with springs of that nature. Did the rear on a Taurus not to long ago, but they weren't nothing like that.

So that compressor would just work to a point, - then quit working? Surprised, - it looks like a good one.

Edit - Oh I see, - the compressor threads would bind/jam under that much pressure. Yea, - larger or dif type needed I expect.
It was fun, hahaha, but after reading up on some tricks, I actually still used the compressor tool. The trick to it was to take off the top free spinning claw and drop the rod through the upper shock mount hole and use the frame to compress against. Holy **** was that the greatest trick I've ever came across! It was tricky trying to get a even grip on the coil like that though, you had to spin the claw inside the coil and use a floor jack to get it threaded in enough. But once it was compressed enough we just pushed against the coil to line it up right into the lower control arm and then put the floor jack under the lower control arm and jacked it up and compressed the coil at the same time enough to bolt the spindle on.

Once I had another set of hands, we knocked out both sides in about 20 minutes. Fast forward to today and......

Old 03-20-2013, 01:24 PM

Looking Good.

Quick Reply: All of our fords are put to good use