ANy Nitro Rc Car owners around?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 03:40 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Budha05STX
You sure it was LiPo and not LiFe? The problem with these batteries is if you drop them below a certain voltage (lipo - 3 volts per cell, LiFe - 2.5 volts per cell), they will start to do damage to the packs. If you want to see some smoke and fire shows, youtube lipo battery explosions. But of the two, LiFe battery packs are safer and can take a tad bit more abuse, with less damaging effects, than Lipos.

The downside to lipo/life batteries - buy a new battery charger that can handle the battery's chemistry, a balancer if the charger doesn't have one built in, you'll want a flame proof charging bag, a voltage regulator for the lipo to work more efficiently and a low voltage alarm. The only problem with a low voltage alarm is you can't hear them in the noisy nitros.....

If you already have rechargeable AA's w/ a charger, If it were me, I'd just stick with those. The big craze with Lipos in the RC world is their HUGE performance advantage over NiMh in all electric vehicles. On the nitro side, their advantage as rx packs will only be seen to hardcore pro racers. The lipo/life packs have a better discharge curve over NiMh which gives better servo response over a discharge cycle. But I doubt you or I could ever tell the difference.

As far as voltage, mah - you'll want a minimum of 4.8v & 2000mah (which is equal to 4 NiMh AA's). LiFe's are 6.6v and LiPo's are 7.4v.
Well after running around looking for a rechargeable battery pack no one can find me one so i just going to stick with my rechargeable double A's. I ordered my 2.4 ghz controller but its going to be wednesday before if gets here. I have made sure all batterys are fully charged,no pinched wires etc. I can here a buzzong sound coming out of the RX reciever and when it buzzes and i start the car its gonna take off on me. I can play around and get it quite and the car will run fine and then all of a sudden take off. Ive chased that SOB around to much the last two days so its sitting here waiting for the new controller. Yesterday i took it down to the lake to see if i had interference and it did good for about 5 mins then all of a sudden wide open towards the water, Thank god a tree was in its way.

Old 02-06-2011, 06:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's good exercise.

Is the buzzing coming from the receiver or the servos? Next time you experience this, without starting the truck and with the entire system on, unplug the servos one at a time and see if you still hear that buzzing. It may be one of your servos chattering. If you still hear it after the servos are unplugged, then it would be a good idea to park the buggy till the new radio system comes in.

And if it is a servo that's chattering, I'd still wait on the new system before replacing the servo as it may be the stock receiver is not putting out enough voltage to the servo or you may have gotten a bad servo.

Old 02-06-2011, 07:49 PM
That's good exercise.

Is the buzzing coming from the receiver or the servos? Next time you experience this, without starting the truck and with the entire system on, unplug the servos one at a time and see if you still hear that buzzing. It may be one of your servos chattering. If you still hear it after the servos are unplugged, then it would be a good idea to park the buggy till the new radio system comes in.

And if it is a servo that's chattering, I'd still wait on the new system before replacing the servo as it may be the stock receiver is not putting out enough voltage to the servo or you may have gotten a bad servo.
I unpluged the throttle and the steering and it was still buzzing, unplugged the battery wire and it quit. Plugged everything back in buzzing away.I can put my ear up to the RX and i know it coming from there. Come on Wednesday

Old 02-06-2011, 08:57 PM
Originally Posted by KingRanchCoy
I unpluged the throttle and the steering and it was still buzzing, unplugged the battery wire and it quit. Plugged everything back in buzzing away.I can put my ear up to the RX and i know it coming from there. Come on Wednesday
Probably a defective receiver. Had you ordered a 2.4 system a week & 1/2 ago, you would have had it by now.
Originally Posted by Budha05STX on 1/27
Good luck with that buggy. I would strongly recommend you ditch that AM radio system and stick a 2.4Ghz system in there. You can find some inexpensive systems here..

Old 02-06-2011, 09:58 PM
Probably a defective receiver. Had you ordered a 2.4 system a week & 1/2 ago, you would have had it by now.

Old 02-07-2011, 01:59 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Does anyone here have a Baja? I was watching some guys run them at a little circle track we have over here. They looked pretty hard to control.

Old 02-07-2011, 03:31 PM
Just found some pics of a F650 body I painted for my E-Revo......

Old 02-07-2011, 03:43 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 06hdfxst
Looks good. I am trying to see if we can figure out a good way to paint these body's here at work. I sprayed one with a pearl white that is used on the Infiniti's as practice. Came out ok. Its a different cookie since you have to paint them on the inside.

Old 02-08-2011, 11:01 AM
Originally Posted by BeauFlex
Looks good. I am trying to see if we can figure out a good way to paint these body's here at work. I sprayed one with a pearl white that is used on the Infiniti's as practice. Came out ok. Its a different cookie since you have to paint them on the inside.
That's what makes it interesting. That paint job took about 3 days, because there's three different colors involved (black, orange, silver, and window tint). I also did a '08+ Super Duty body with a candy blue, similar to the Ford flame blue, and silver lower section.

Last edited by 06hdfxst; 02-08-2011 at 11:05 AM.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:09 AM

That looks good

Old 02-08-2011, 07:08 PM
Originally Posted by BeauFlex
Its a different cookie since you have to paint them on the inside.
Just layout the design backwards - do your colors in reverse order than you normally would.

That's what makes it interesting. That paint job took about 3 days, because there's three different colors involved (black, orange, silver, and window tint). I also did a '08+ Super Duty body with a candy blue, similar to the Ford flame blue, and silver lower section.
Nice F650!! But 3 colors is nothing. Try slinging 10 different colors, 11 if you count window tint....Black, Purple, White, Yellow, Red, 2 Blue's (Ford logo and pillow), 3 Gold (CR on rear, 2 gold shades on pillow including the roof gold). All done with an airbrush.

This is ALL paint except the grille/headlights and the 2 fans out back.

The paint job wasn't perfect, but this isn't a shelf queen.....

Old 02-08-2011, 10:09 PM
Originally Posted by KingRanchCoy
That looks good
Thank you sir.

Just layout the design backwards - do your colors in reverse order than you normally would.

Nice F650!! But 3 colors is nothing. Try slinging 10 different colors, 11 if you count window tint....Black, Purple, White, Yellow, Red, 2 Blue's (Ford logo and pillow), 3 Gold (CR on rear, 2 gold shades on pillow including the roof gold). All done with an airbrush.

This is ALL paint except the grille/headlights and the 2 fans out back.

The paint job wasn't perfect, but this isn't a shelf queen.....
That my friend, is a lot of work. Good job.

Old 02-09-2011, 10:17 AM
SFM
That is a great looking paint job.. I gotta dig up a couple of old bodies and post them...

Old 02-09-2011, 10:25 AM
I know it's not gas but this is making me want to break out the Losi XXXT I got sitting in the basement. Last time I did that in the snow, things happened though.

Old 02-09-2011, 03:14 PM
That my friend, is a lot of work. Good job.
Thanks.
It took about 2 1/2 days of prep work before I even started painting. From coming up with the theme, measurements for the paint masks, laying out the mask's locations, putting them on, trimming the body and pre-mounting it. That doesn't include the time my buddy used to cut some of the paint masks and the time I spent making some extra paint masks on a vinyl cutter I have access to. But I thought it was worth it. Most people that see it don't believe it's all paint till they rub their hands on the body trying to feel the stickers.

Quick Reply: ANy Nitro Rc Car owners around?