Trans fluid in the oil?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 12:43 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trans fluid in the oil?

Right, so this weekend past I was talking to some random guy while changing the oil in my kart.

Somehow we got to talking about changing oil in my truck, and he asked me "what do you run in it?"
Well I told him a MC filter with 7 quarts of semi 5-20.

Then he was like and said this.
Why do you run that thin crap? its gonna blow up before you put 30K miles on it.
He went on and one about how thin oil sucks and cant possibly work, or be any good.
To that i replied, well I already have put 36,500+ miles on it, and no problems. Then he went on to tell me about how its too thin, and you should run nothing less than 10W-30 in any engine.

Well, I told him I thought that the 5.4L 3V was MADE for 5-20 and that anything thicker could likely cause the engine to get damage because its too thick to pump the oil, more so when its cold out.

Well, he then said I should run a fram filter, "because they are the best" and 6 quarts of castrol 10-30 with one quart of trans fluid to "thin it out" and "help clean the engine out" and that I would have NO problems ever.
He swears that is all he runs, 10-30 and a quart of trans fluid.

I could not help but to get amused and angry when he said I was a idiot and that my truck "will blow up soon" because he was told by some old timer that this was the best way to keep a car running. And that he was a expert and has had over 20 cars and no problems from them.

Well, maybe cars YEARS ago might be ok with this, but something tells me a 5.4L 3V with 6 quarts of 10-30 and one quart of trans fluid and a fram filter is NOT going to last long at all.

What does F150 online think about this?

Old 11-16-2010, 12:51 PM
Dont listen to him. Stick to your 5W20 synthetic and Motorcraft filters and you will be fine. You -might- consider a 10w30 for summer time. Dont put anything in your oil except that...oil! Don't listen to that old school crap about how it used to be done. Heck I've put transmission oil into the gasoline before to help lube up the cylinders better in some old demolition derby cars before...but those were derby cars, not nice new pickups. You can pull up many examples of guys who have maintained their trucks correctly and gotten 300,000 and even over 400,000 miles out of their F150's. They didn't get those miles by using tranny oil and filters with cardboard on the inside and other 'old school' ways of doing things.

In my 98 4.6, I've been running 5w30 Mobil 1 synth and motor craft filters for 12 years 130,000 miles. Oil changes every 7,000 miles. Work, play, highway, cold, hot, dusty, you name it. My truck runs like a sewing machine.

Last edited by Green_98; 11-16-2010 at 12:57 PM.
Old 11-16-2010, 12:52 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
He is an idiot. Stay as far away from him as possible when it comes to having work done on your truck.

Old 11-16-2010, 01:05 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
We used to use tranny fluid in the oil to do a flush. I suppose you could still do that, but do NOT run it as part of your usual oil!

Just tell the moron to do what he wants, but you will do what YOU want - and that's follow manufacturer's recommendations and use approved oil and filters.

I have the same issue with an old friend of mine that SHOULD know better - he uses 20W-50 and Fram filters in every vehicle he has ever owned. I don't even bother arguing with him.

Old 11-16-2010, 01:17 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
I don't suppose you could get yer friend to post that here. I need to post something on the MOM board at work. It's worth a cool $150.00 to me but I'm not into sharing. The Annual MOM winner has been the Moron that used Dawn and LOTS of water to clean his Dodge Hemi engine out. Yeah, he filled the engine crankcase with Dawn and water and then hit the starter. He claims he was filing suit against Chrysler for not standing behind their warranty. Yer friend is in the same category.

Last edited by Labnerd; 11-16-2010 at 01:47 PM.
Old 11-16-2010, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Labnerd
I don't suppose you could get yer friend to post that here. I need to post something on the MOM board at work. It's worth a cool $150.00 to me but I'm not into sharing. The Annual MOM winner has been the Moron that used Dawn and LOTS of water to clean his Dodge Hemi engine out. Yeah, he filled the engine crankcase with Dawn and water and then hit the starter. He claims he was filing suit against Chrysler for not standing behind their warranty. Yer friend is in the same category.
I wish, hell I wish I had a recording of the conversation. They guy could barley figure out how to work a PC, let alone post here.

Old 11-16-2010, 05:20 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wow he is a idiot, one time i had a old 83 ford diesel and was told to pour a quart of tranny fluid in the fuel tank to clean out the injectors, lol after about 20 miles she didnt run anymore and you could follow the smoke trail the whole 20 miles

Old 11-16-2010, 05:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The only, and I mean ONLY thing I put in my oil is sand. It helps clean away any sludge build up that may have occured over the years. Think of it as sand blasting.

Old 11-16-2010, 07:21 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Titan357
Right, so this weekend past I was talking to some random guy while changing the oil in my kart.

Somehow we got to talking about changing oil in my truck, and he asked me "what do you run in it?"
Well I told him a MC filter with 7 quarts of semi 5-20.

Then he was like and said this.
Why do you run that thin crap? its gonna blow up before you put 30K miles on it.
He went on and one about how thin oil sucks and cant possibly work, or be any good.
To that i replied, well I already have put 36,500+ miles on it, and no problems. Then he went on to tell me about how its too thin, and you should run nothing less than 10W-30 in any engine.

Well, I told him I thought that the 5.4L 3V was MADE for 5-20 and that anything thicker could likely cause the engine to get damage because its too thick to pump the oil, more so when its cold out.

Well, he then said I should run a fram filter, "because they are the best" and 6 quarts of castrol 10-30 with one quart of trans fluid to "thin it out" and "help clean the engine out" and that I would have NO problems ever.
He swears that is all he runs, 10-30 and a quart of trans fluid.

I could not help but to get amused and angry when he said I was a idiot and that my truck "will blow up soon" because he was told by some old timer that this was the best way to keep a car running. And that he was a expert and has had over 20 cars and no problems from them.

Well, maybe cars YEARS ago might be ok with this, but something tells me a 5.4L 3V with 6 quarts of 10-30 and one quart of trans fluid and a fram filter is NOT going to last long at all.

What does F150 online think about this?
Next time you see him, don't forget to welcome him to 1980.

Old 11-16-2010, 11:03 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by kingfish51
He is an idiot.
That says it all. End that guy.

Quick Reply: Trans fluid in the oil?