When was Jesus born?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 01:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by harleydude78
Why can't people just accept that some people want to believe in God or a higher power? Whats wrong with believing in something?
There is absolutely nothing wrong with it. I just dont like people forcing it upon someone that does not agree. Or not having a logical arguement behind something. I do believe that Jesus had good intentions and did die for our sins. If I had to call myself a religion it would be Christian. There are many things I do believe and they do make since. But there are some giant holes that cause uneasy feelings for me.

Old 12-23-2009, 01:40 PM
I love it when people post things just to stir the pot
Bingo!

I don't care either way, religion isn't my thing and will never be. I don't want to get caught up in some holy war or jihad or whatever the phrase is. And when Sunday rolls around I don't want to waste my time in a church listening to the same thing week in and week out. I have much better things to waste my time with.

Last edited by thetruck; 12-23-2009 at 01:43 PM.
Old 12-23-2009, 01:46 PM
Originally Posted by USGS
USGS

So far scientists have not found a way to determine the exact age of the Earth directly from Earth rocks because Earth's oldest rocks have been recycled and destroyed by the process of plate tectonics. If there are any of Earth's primordial rocks left in their original state, they have not yet been found. Nevertheless, scientists have been able to determine the probable age of the Solar System and to calculate an age for the Earth by assuming that the Earth and the rest of the solid bodies in the Solar System formed at the same time and are, therefore, of the same age.

:santa:

Old 12-23-2009, 02:02 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Tornadom
There are no accurate records showing Jesus's birthday; however, plenty of record exist confirming that he was born and crucified.

Christmas on the 25th of December is a day to celebrate His coming to save us from our sins, regardless of what actual date He was born.
Good point but, do you think Jesus would have celebrated his own birthday on December 25th? May not?

"There is no evidence scripturally or secularly that early Christians in the first century commemorated the birth of Jesus Christ. In fact, in keeping with early Jewish law and tradition, it is likely that birthdays were not commemorated at all. According to The World Book Encyclopedia: "early Christians considered the celebration of anyone's birth to be a pagan custom." (Vol. 3, page 416) Rather than commemorating his birth, the only command Jesus gave concerning any sort of commemoration of his life actually had only to do with his death (Luke 22:19). It was not until several hundred years after the death of Jesus Christ that the first instances of the celebration of Christmas begin to appear in the historical record. According to the new Encyclopedia Britannica, some who later claimed to be Christian likely "wished the date to coincide with the pagan Roman festival marking the 'birthday of the unconquered sun'." The festival was celebrated with similar customs (gift giving, feasting) that are done to celebrate Christmas today."

" In 245, the theologian Origen of Alexandria stated that, "only sinners (like Pharaoh and Herod)" celebrated their birthdays.[61] In 303, Christian writer Arnobius ridiculed the idea of celebrating the birthdays of gods, which suggests that Christmas was not yet a feast at this time."

To further that concept, do you think the apostles had a gift exchage, which Jesus participated in with his own twelve hand chosen gifts?

Old 12-23-2009, 02:19 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
There is more probability of aliens than there is of god so why is it that when someone says they believe in aliens, they are completely crazy. But if they believe in some all powerful invisible dude in the sky, they are on the road to success?

Old 12-23-2009, 02:25 PM
Originally Posted by W.L.B
There is absolutely nothing wrong with it. I just dont like people forcing it upon someone that does not agree. Or not having a logical arguement behind something. I do believe that Jesus had good intentions and did die for our sins. If I had to call myself a religion it would be Christian. There are many things I do believe and they do make since. But there are some giant holes that cause uneasy feelings for me.
I just fill those holes with faith in God. If you don't believe, thats on you. But I agree that it shouldn't be forced upon you or anyone. But at the same time, generally speaking, forcing or chastizing someone who believes in God is just as wrong.

Old 12-23-2009, 02:26 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Raptor05121
There is more probability of aliens than there is of god so why is it that when someone says they believe in aliens, they are completely crazy. But if they believe in some all powerful invisible dude in the sky, they are on the road to success?
Wow.

Old 12-23-2009, 02:34 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I love it when people post things just to stir the pot
Originally Posted by thetruck
Bingo!

I don't care either way, religion isn't my thing and will never be. I don't want to get caught up in some holy war or jihad or whatever the phrase is. And when Sunday rolls around I don't want to waste my time in a church listening to the same thing week in and week out. I have much better things to waste my time with.
There are some topics which are not my thing, and I don't even read them, much less comment. Something draws you here and motivates you to leave a comment. Is your interest here is in crapping on this thread because you don't like the subject and will not tolerate the rest of us carrying on an intelligent discussion on it?

For me it's not about the religion of Christ, but about the religion of those who feel entitled to crap on any thread where the subject does not agree with their own opinion or outlook on life. This thread questions celebrating Christmas on December 25th, and the non-religious materialism it generates, and the fact that the real source may not be a religious one, but a Pagan or secular one. In that respect the topic is more about the non-religious side of Xmas which we all deal with in our lives today, or should I say starting tomorrow.

Old 12-23-2009, 02:35 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
OK, everyone - let's get back to the original subject of the thread. If you want to talk about "belief" (again), start a new thread. The subject, in case everyone has forgotten, was about Jesus' birthdate.

- Jack

Old 12-23-2009, 02:46 PM

Yep. And faith is something that you have to have faith in to believe. It would be easier to believe if it wasnt forced upon. Why cant everyone be right? I just dont see how one religion can say one thing, another can say a complete different, and they both be right. The only explanation is that they are both wrong.

well, have you actually read other religious books?

please do read the OT, the NT, the Quran and then move on to the I Ching, the Gitas and Upanishads, the Zohar, the Avesta and so forth.

Guess what? They all say pretty much the same thing. Just the names and places are changed.

Old 12-23-2009, 02:50 PM
Originally Posted by J-150
well, have you actually read other religious books?

please do read the OT, the NT, the Quran and then move on to the I Ching, the Gitas and Upanishads, the Zohar, the Avesta and so forth.

Guess what? They all say pretty much the same thing. Just the names and places are changed.
That is my point. And yet one (the one you believe) is right, and the other is wrong. That is where I get confused. They all point the same direction, and yet if you do not follow these ways then you are wrong.

And jesus was born on Tuesday.

Old 12-23-2009, 03:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Norm
I do not have faith in Wiki.

Old 12-23-2009, 03:13 PM
That is my point. And yet one (the one you believe) is right, and the other is wrong. That is where I get confused. They all point the same direction, and yet if you do not follow these ways then you are wrong.

And jesus was born on Tuesday.
No one knows the exact day Jesus was born.

But we do have lots of evidence the Bible is true. Like this: http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satelli...cle%2FShowFull

I'm here all week.

Old 12-23-2009, 03:15 PM
Originally Posted by Raptor05121
Really? Can you prove aliens exist ?

Old 12-23-2009, 03:15 PM
Suspended
So Christians shouldn't be upset when they hear Happy Holidays, because it isnt actually Jesus' bday and the "War on Christmas" crap is ... crap?

Quick Reply: When was Jesus born?