Message from a friend

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 06:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FX41
Ref, I wasn't really talking to you, I was really speaking in generalities. No, your uncles debt wasn't covered by the tax payer, and your right it was most likely written off as bad debt, but that money was covered by outragous medical bills the rest of us pay. People that can't pay their bills drive up the cost for those that do. Yes our system needs reworked, yes it is VERY expensive. But in my opinion the prices are so high due to sue happy jerks that make malpractice insurance extremely expensive for doctors who just pass on the bills to us, and the millions of dollars a year that get written of as "bad debt."
100% correct

Old 07-17-2009, 07:06 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by birddog_61
The reason they come here is because they can afford it, the reason its so expensive is because its the best, the reason its the best is because the doctors can get wealthy doing their jobs which makes it a very competitive market. So basically the reason we have the best health care is because it cost so much, you take away the financial rewards doctors will receive and people will stop competing to be the best doctor because whats the point your not going to make that much anyway. Then within a few years you have health care that's not the best anymore. If you can't afford health care or your medical bills then you should get a better job, if you can't do that then you should get a better education so you can, and if you wont do either of those then there is no need for you to be here anyway.
As an example of wanting the best. I waited something like 3 months for a appointment to see a Neoro surgeon. Then about 4 months for the surgery. But I have faith in the Guy. I'm not fixed, but he did a major surgery on me, and I'm much better.

I may not be able to have that choice in any other circumstances.

Old 07-17-2009, 07:16 PM
The reason they come here is because they can afford it, the reason its so expensive is because its the best, the reason its the best is because the doctors can get wealthy doing their jobs which makes it a very competitive market. So basically the reason we have the best health care is because it cost so much, you take away the financial rewards doctors will receive and people will stop competing to be the best doctor because whats the point your not going to make that much anyway. Then within a few years you have health care that's not the best anymore. If you can't afford health care or your medical bills then you should get a better job, if you can't do that then you should get a better education so you can, and if you wont do either of those then there is no need for you to be here anyway.
Talk to quite a few MD's---almost all of them will tell you that "This is not why I went into medicine." Yes, a few get rich---most make a good buck (A family member of mine is an MD, but she ain't rich, by any stretch of the imagination.)

Most MD's go into the field TO HELP PEOPLE. I was told by one of my ortho MD's that he has to see at least so many people an hour---he would love to sit and talk more and connect more with his patients, but it is, after all, a BUSINESS; the more patients you see as an MD, the more $$ the facility can charge.

MD's make a good buck---but they are not getting rich like everybody thinks---my family member can attest to that. And, they didn't get into the health field to GET RICH (well, maybe a few did...) The vast majority of them go into medicine to serve mankind. I asked an MD. how many business classes they took while in med school---you know, billing, how much to charge, etc. Her response was "None." I have a good number of former students who are either MD's---two of them are veterinarians. When I talked to them about why they went into the health care field, not one of them said, "To get rich." Everone said that, more or less, that it "Was to make a difference in peoples' lives."

So I gotta disagree with ya on major parts of your argument.

TSC

Last edited by referee54; 07-17-2009 at 07:20 PM.
Old 07-17-2009, 07:41 PM
Originally Posted by referee54
Everone said that, more or less, that it "Was to make a difference in peoples' lives."

So I gotta disagree with ya on major parts of your argument.

TSC
Imagine that, people don't want to come off as greedy? Thats strange.
http://www.payscale.com/research/US/...Doctors/Salary
Find one in that list that makes less than 120,000 a year.

Old 07-17-2009, 07:57 PM
The next time you go to the doctor, ask him, face-to-face, point blank. "Why did you go into medicine?" Betcha it won't be "To get rich." And if you think he is lying, then he shouldn't be your doctor, right?

TSC

Last edited by referee54; 07-17-2009 at 07:59 PM.
Old 07-17-2009, 07:58 PM
The next time you go to the doctor, ask him, face-to-face, point blank. "Why did you go into medicine?" Betcha it won't be "To get rich."

TSC
Imagine that, people don't want to come off as greedy? Thats strange

Old 07-17-2009, 08:02 PM
The problem isn't Doctors salaries. Te biggest problem is the cost of goods. It the bottom line in all corporate greed. Our health care is a greedy organization, fueled entirely by Wall Street Profits. There has to be a way to establish some guidelines without creating bureaucracy.
If the Doctors are truly there to help Humanity, they should be doing a better job at managing it now. The Doctors manage it, and others are selling products at exorbitant prices. I'll bet the manufacture cost of their supplies is less than 20% of the price we are paying. Like I said before. Too many people, making to much money!

Old 07-17-2009, 08:04 PM
Imagine that, people don't want to come off as greedy? Thats strange
Like I said, if you think that your MD is lying to you, you should find another MD, right...

TSC

Old 07-17-2009, 08:07 PM
Originally Posted by Tumba
The problem isn't Doctors salaries. Te biggest problem is the cost of goods. It the bottom line in all corporate greed. Our health care is a greedy organization, fueled entirely by Wall Street Profits. There has to be a way to establish some guidelines without creating bureaucracy.
If the Doctors are truly there to help Humanity, they should be doing a better job at managing it now. The Doctors manage it, and others are selling products at exorbitant prices. I'll bet the manufacture cost of their supplies is less than 20% of the price we are paying. Like I said before. Too many people, making to much money!
I had my knees repalced at the Cleveland Clinic---they tell the MD's what to charge, and they (along with the insurance companies) dictate what Customary, Usual, and Reasonable are. Many MD's that I know are locked into a system in which they do not like, but have to work in. The system needs fixin'. MD's do not run the hospital--those mega hosptials run the MD's.

TSC

Old 07-17-2009, 08:12 PM
I had my knees repalced at the Cleveland Clinic---they tell the MD's what to charge, and they (along with the insurance companies) dictate what Customary, Usual, and Reasonable are. Many MD's that I know are locked into a system in which they do not like, but have to work in. The system needs fixin'. MD's do not run the hospital--those mega hosptials run the MD's.

TSC

I don't know about the whole Country, because I haven't studied it. But in this area, a group of Doctors run the insurance companies, especially the dominant one. The Doctors themselves are setting the guidelines.

Old 07-17-2009, 08:13 PM
Like I said, if you think that your MD is lying to you, you should find another MD, right...

TSC
What's your advice when my president and senators lie to me? That's a much bigger problem in my life than my Dr.'s truthfulness.

IMO, point blank asking your health care provider if they are doing it for the money is bad manners. They are Dr.'s, but they are human.

If the question does not directly offend the doctor, I would expect them to give a Politically Correct answer. No problem.

On the other hand, if my Dr. lies to me about my health and treatment, you bet I'll find another.

Old 07-17-2009, 08:16 PM
Originally Posted by dirt bike dave
What's your advice when my president and senators lie to me? That's a much bigger problem in my life than my Dr.'s truthfulness.

IMO, point blank asking your health care provider if they are doing it for the money is bad manners. They are Dr.'s, but they are human.

If the question does not directly offend the doctor, I would expect them to give a Politically Correct answer. No problem.

On the other hand, if my Dr. lies to me about my health and treatment, you bet I'll find another.
I have no problem asking a man---or woman---why they went into their chosen field---nothing politically correct about it---nor should I have to worry about it. I want to know honestly, why they practice medicine---and practice it on ME. I would hope that the MD cares more about me than about the almighty buck, right?

I asked my ortho where he did his undergraduate work, where he did his MD stuff, how many knee replacement he does each year, and where he did his specialty studies on that...and I did ask him what he charged...

I am not worried about offending him or being politically correct (that sucks, anyway). When it comes to my health and health care, honesty is best.

TSC

Last edited by referee54; 07-17-2009 at 08:19 PM.
Old 07-17-2009, 08:20 PM
I don't know about the whole Country, because I haven't studied it. But in this area, a group of Doctors run the insurance companies, especially the dominant one. The Doctors themselves are setting the guidelines.
In this part of the Buckeye state, the insurance companies dictate to the MD's what they can charge. The tail wags the dog over here.

TSC

Last edited by referee54; 07-17-2009 at 08:23 PM.
Old 07-17-2009, 08:25 PM
In this part of the Buckeye state, the insurance companies dictate to the MD's what they can charge. The tail wags the dog over here.

TSC

I'm not saying your not right. But have you ever examined their association closely?

Old 07-17-2009, 08:29 PM
I'm not saying your not right. But have you ever examined their association closely?
Tumba, I am more worried about a MD's association with pharmaceutical salesmen---they come in and give free samples and such, and then the MD may begin pushing these pharmaceuticals on us..."Hey, I just got a look at these new meds---these samples are ones you can try..."

To me, the salespeople are working the docs to prescribe their meds over other brands.

TSC

Quick Reply: Message from a friend