Message from a friend

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 06:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Message from a friend

Hey... I got this message from a friend who is supporting Obama and health care reform. Thought some of you might be interested. I read something yesterday where someone was upset because they had to pay a little more in taxes partially due to Obama. I would pay a little more in taxes to help out people like Patricia (fellow americans) so they don't lose their homes and everything they have due to illness. I think as americans we are in it together. Not trying to stir up anything with this message, just sharing my views. Thanks for your help and support.

I'm Patricia, from Hallandale Beach, Florida (just a little north of Miami). Like you, I support President Obama, and I want to help his agenda become a reality.

Two years ago, I was diagnosed with ovarian cancer. I'm luckier than many -- I have insurance. But when I had to stop working because of the chemo, I could no longer afford my rapidly increasing health care insurance premiums. I went through my entire retirement savings, then had to start taking out loans from my bank to keep up. Now, with my credit drying up, I'm scared that I'll lose my home and my insurance.

This shouldn't happen in America. A bad diagnosis shouldn't have to mean that everything you've worked so hard to save, and all the plans you've made, are suddenly gone.

So that's why I'm working for real health care reform. Because no one should have to feel the anguish and fear I've felt constantly these last two years. Because this crisis needs to end -- and because I know that will only happen if each of us does our part.

Old 07-16-2009, 08:09 PM
What makes her think she will be better off with government rationed health care?

What makes her think no one with ovarian cancer will feel anguish and fear after we have national health care?

IMO the deathly ill as well as the rest of us will be even worse off with government health care. I have many reasons and points to support my position. But it's hard to disagree with a cancer sufferer without appearing insensitive. I'll bet there are many cancer sufferers who are afraid of national health care and vehemently opposed to it.

Old 07-16-2009, 08:58 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I don't know what to say.

I feel for your friend, and hope that somehow, she makes a speedy and full recovery and gets her life back in order.

But socialized medicine doesn't work. I'm curious as to what makes her think it would. And I have a real problem with the government going into my pocket to fund projects and ideas I don't believe in.

Old 07-16-2009, 09:12 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
What ever happened to taking care of yourself and your own, familes banding together. Every principle that made this country strong and great is being tossed aside. Life can deal a stinking hand, and you deal with it. That is how it used to be. Now every one is entitled. I don't see how it can work.

Old 07-16-2009, 09:19 PM
Dear Patricia,
I am very sorry to hear about your cancer. It seems like that chemo therapy is awfully expensive because you are taking out those loans to pay for it. I wish there was something we could do to help you, however it is not cost effective to the U.S. government to pay for your medicine. Therefore, in the interest of change, you have the duty to die. Consider this a great service to your country.

Thanks

B. H. Obama

P.S. Give my condolences to your family.

Old 07-16-2009, 09:20 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
GreenBuck50, with all repects, health care from yer Government will be the next bad thing to happen to this country. I just happen to know a man that is a doctor in Sweden. They have Government health care and just like all of the rest of the nations with it, it is controlled by stupid people that we call representatives. The good doctor has his income limited by the Government and he can make up to $70,000 US a year. Sounds decent right? He practices medicine in Sweden from January to the first week of May. He then closes his practice and goes to Norway and opens his Bed and Breakfast. He has folks on his appointment list capped at 2 years.....did ya get that? Let me tell ya again, it takes 2 YEARS to get an appointment. Wanna get sick? How about yer friend that is complaining about her cancer. I wonder just how long she would have made it if she had to wait 2 Years for an appointment. Wanna watch health care go in the toilet? Just watch this idiot that some of you voted for. He hasn't been in office a year and he's already the worst thing that has ever happened to this country.

Old 07-16-2009, 09:21 PM
Originally Posted by Bluejay
What ever happened to taking care of yourself and your own, familes banding together. Every principle that made this country strong and great is being tossed aside. Life can deal a stinking hand, and you deal with it. That is how it used to be. Now every one is entitled. I don't see how it can work.
Good points. In the old days, she could have looked to family, friends, her church, her community, etc..to help aftet she had exhausted her own finances.

Now, everyone is entitled to the best care money can buy. Sorry, it can't work that way. Not enough money.

Old 07-16-2009, 09:34 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Personal accountability has been dead and gone for quite a while now.

Damn shame too. When I get myself into a mess, I don't expect anyone to come and pick me up and get me out of it. Whether it was from a bad hand dealt by life (life is hard and it ain't fair, folks...), or by my own devices, it's my problem, I'll figure it out somehow.

A bad diagnosis shouldn't have to mean that everything you've worked so hard to save, and all the plans you've made, are suddenly gone.
It shouldn't mean that you're entitled to everything I've worked my *** off for either.

Old 07-16-2009, 11:01 PM
Hey guys, you will be surprised, but I do not agree with what Obama wants to do with health care...it isn't going to work.

That being said, however, this "banding together stuff". while it is well-intentioned, is not up-to-date. Health care costs are the problem. I know that you need help from people, etc, and that you have to deal with it...but you all know that, nearly two years ago, I had a double knee replacement, right? The cost for the nine days in the hospital, the surgery, and the in-patient PT was $86,000. Tell me how banding together will help me get this taken care of? It ain't going to happen. Thankfully, I have an excellent health insurance program. Yes, life does deal some crappy hands, but health care costs, in case you have not noticed, are sky-rocketing. Collecting pennies at a diner is not the answer, and families hanging tough can mean death to a loved one---perhaps one's child.

Yep, you can take a calloused approach---"too bad, sucks to be you" "go ahead and die." UNTIL IT IS YOU OR ONE OF YOUR LOVED ONES---PERHAPS EVEN A CHILD. Socialized medicine ain't going to work; I know that; but while we deal with the hand that life has dealt us, how do we deal with the high cost of health care?

I do not agree with Obama's plan(s). But we need to move into the 21st century---along with health care comes outragious health care costs, and those need to be dealt with.

TSC

Last edited by referee54; 07-16-2009 at 11:23 PM.
Old 07-16-2009, 11:04 PM
Originally Posted by dirt bike dave
Good points. In the old days, she could have looked to family, friends, her church, her community, etc..to help aftet she had exhausted her own finances.

Now, everyone is entitled to the best care money can buy. Sorry, it can't work that way. Not enough money.
Please also refer to my fist posting. By the way---churches---well the Cleveland Catholic Diocese is closing over 40 churches---they have their own $$ problems, too. They can send you their prayers, yes, but money, most likely, not.

TSC

Last edited by referee54; 07-16-2009 at 11:16 PM.
Old 07-16-2009, 11:24 PM
Ref - you are not the only one who has incurred substantial medical expenses.

Yes, costs are too high. No one is saying the current satus is perfect. But national health care is just going to kill this economy.

You really want to reduce medical costs?

Here are two things that will help reduce medical costs SUBSTANTIALLY:

1) Greatly restrict malpractice lawsuits and the $ you can receive in a settlement.
2) Don't provide healthcare to uninsured illlegal aliens, passing the rest of the cost on to the taxpayers and insured.

Ta Daa! Huge savings on medical costs. I know, it will never happen.

Last edited by dirt bike dave; 07-16-2009 at 11:27 PM.
Old 07-16-2009, 11:29 PM
Ref - you are not the only one who has incurred substantial medical expenses.

Yes, costs are too high. No one is saying the current satus is perfect. But national health care is just going to kill this economy.

You really want to reduce medical costs?

Here are two things that will help reduce medical costs SUBSTANTIALLY:

1) Greatly restrict malpractice lawsuits and the $ you can receive in a settlement.
2) Don't provide healthcare to uninsured illlegal aliens, passing the rest of the cost on to the taxpayers and insured.

Ta Daa! Huge savings on medical costs. I know, it will never happen.
I have no problem with those ideas---and, if you read my post, I do not want nationalized HC, either.

How 'bout changing the time constraints on pharmaceuticals, as well---now, the copyright clock begins to tick the moment they start research on one---and they have, after tests and such, only a limited amount of time to recoup their losses.

Old 07-16-2009, 11:36 PM
Originally Posted by referee54
Please also refer to my fist posting. By the way---churches---well the Cleveland Catholic Diocese is closing over 40 churches---they have their own $$ problems, too. They can send you their prayers, yes, but money, most likely, not.

TSC
Let me guess - The financial difficulties are largely caused by lawsuits / out of court settlements.

BTW, maybe if the government and high health care costs were not taking so much of my money, I would have a little more to give to my church, for distribution in my community. Multiply that by 100 million Americans, and quite a few more churches would be in position to help people.

Ah, who am I kdding? Most people would rather get their help from government than from the church. No strings attached that way, and the government only takes money from evil rich people, right?

Old 07-16-2009, 11:36 PM
The story is bull****.

If she had to leave her work, she would have gone on long term disability. Since she says she had health insurance, she most likely also had long term disability insurance along with her social security disability payments. When she left, if her health insurance was no longer covered, she could have gone with COBRA coverage. Sure, it would have cost $500/mo or whatever, but surely it would be better than tens of thousands in debt.

There is also the FMLA which should have covered her for a certain amount of time.

Don't let the propaganda fool you.

Last edited by kuruption; 07-16-2009 at 11:49 PM.
Old 07-16-2009, 11:43 PM
Let me guess - The financial difficulties are largely caused by lawsuits / out of court settlements.

BTW, maybe if the government and high health care costs were not taking so much of my money, I would have a little more to give to my church, for distribution in my community. Multiply that by 100 million Americans, and quite a few more churches would be in position to help people.

Ah, who am I kdding? Most people would rather get their help from government than from the church. No strings attached that way, and the government only takes money from evil rich people, right?
Nope, while the law suites were settled, the cost was covered by insurance (I am not Catholic, but this is what I have read.) The churches are closing because of declining numbers in communities and cannot be kept open. The reality of it is, churches in the older, inner-ring areas are not capable of operating, and many dioceses are closing them.

On a side note, my uncle received a heart transplant several decades ago. Before the transplant, because of the seriousness of his health, they actually removed his heart and attached him to a temporary one---actually looked like a brief case---and they told him that he had 90 days to find a suitable donor.

After a girl died in a car accident, he received his heart---I asked him later how much the bill came to---just out of curiosity---and he said it was over a million dollars. That is right---$1,000,000. He, along with the hospital, knew that he could never actually repay that, so he sent them whatever he could each month, until he died of old age.

TSC

Quick Reply: Message from a friend