Military Service

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 12:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Deereman
It sounds like the army and navy are the only ones who have dozers, I'm I wrong??
very wrong. not to dog the army at all but they call us when they need a PB/fob/COL built fast( they are very busy clearing the streets so it is not because their lazy). i havent done an Air Force deployment in 4 years, but i have deployed 5 times with/for the Army in that time. look up my unit, 820th RED HORSE Sq.

Old 06-27-2009, 02:13 PM
why would i need to get stuff in writing?? Sounds like alot promised and no action. Whats up with that. Where do you have room to negotiate???

Old 06-27-2009, 02:38 PM

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by jbrew
Is there some kind of strange/trick way to score well on the asvab? Or is it pretty straight forward, just study for it..?
it's common sense stuff, so a few people will end up needing to study for it

Old 06-27-2009, 03:03 PM
U.S. Army since 1985...Been with the 101st Abn Div (AASLT) mostly since 1989. HOOAH!!!

Old 06-27-2009, 03:20 PM

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
welcome

Old 06-27-2009, 05:05 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
why would i need to get stuff in writing?? Sounds like alot promised and no action. Whats up with that. Where do you have room to negotiate???
I think you aren't seeing the basic concept of military service. It's not run like a business. Everything is determined by the needs of the service, you essentially are signing away your rights. You could wind up cleaning toilets for 2 years. If you **** somebody off, you very well could wind up doing exactly that.

Old 06-27-2009, 10:11 PM
Recruiters lie. Their job is to get you to sign up with the least amount of guarantees and least amount of money. They also tend to tell you what you want to hear or make deals with you, without holding up to their end of the bargin.

Basically don't listen to a word the recruiter says, most of it is sugar coated. But, make sure if you agree on a guaranteed location, singing bonus, rate/job, etc.. that you get it in your contract. Make sure all the "i"s are dotted, and "t"s crossed. Seen a lot of people get to bootcamp thinking they have a guaranteed something to see that their recruiter was feeding them BS, and didn't follow through, or just told them a big lie. Do your own research on the services. Ask people in currently, people who recently joined, etc...

Old 06-27-2009, 11:53 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
U S Navy from 86-91 after boot camp and school, I spent the rest of my time on the U.S.S. Barbey FF-1088 based out of San Diego CA, did 2 overseas deployments. Got to see Pearl Harbor, Phillipines, Hong Kong, Singapore, Tiawan, Thailand, Bangledesh, India, Sri Lanka, and too many places in and around the Pesian Gulf to remember.

On my second deployment, it was our turn to spend 3 months in the gulf on patrol, we arrived in the persian gulf on August 1 1990 and relieved a destoyer out of norfolk. On aug 2 that a-hole invaded Kuwait, so we spent the next 3 months playing gate guard in the persian gulf. Those of you old enough to remember, there was a lone ship in the gulf until troops and supplies could sent over, that was us, we even made the evening news during the summer of 90.

Anyway here is the only pic I have of the ship.

Old 06-28-2009, 06:27 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 05RedFX4
U S Navy from 86-91 after boot camp and school, I spent the rest of my time on the U.S.S. Barbey FF-1088 based out of San Diego CA, did 2 overseas deployments. Got to see Pearl Harbor, Phillipines, Hong Kong, Singapore, Tiawan, Thailand, Bangledesh, India, Sri Lanka, and too many places in and around the Pesian Gulf to remember.

On my second deployment, it was our turn to spend 3 months in the gulf on patrol, we arrived in the persian gulf on August 1 1990 and relieved a destoyer out of norfolk. On aug 2 that a-hole invaded Kuwait, so we spent the next 3 months playing gate guard in the persian gulf. Those of you old enough to remember, there was a lone ship in the gulf until troops and supplies could sent over, that was us, we even made the evening news during the summer of 90.

Anyway here is the only pic I have of the ship.

What was your rate?

I can neither confirm nor deny that there may have been other (somewhat less visible) ships in the Gulf at that time

Old 06-28-2009, 08:53 AM
USN for 28 years. Jul 1968 - Nov 2006. I have been just about anywhere I would want to go and some I wouldn't. Some places I went by ship, some by air, and some by car. Had the opportunity to meet all kinds of people along with a lot of schooling. Probably the best move I ever made in my life. Now semi retired and living in Georgia. I, however, grew up in North Central Pennsylvania.

By the way, if interested, I was in Supply as a Storekeeper.

Old 06-28-2009, 09:27 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by 1muddytruck
What was your rate?

I can neither confirm nor deny that there may have been other (somewhat less visible) ships in the Gulf at that time
MM3 (machinist mate 3rd class)

There may have been others there, or just outside the gulf at that time, but I never saw them. In fact our Captain told us we were the only ones there (may not have been true, but that is what we were told)

Old 06-28-2009, 02:03 PM
Originally Posted by JNC995
Recruiters lie. Their job is to get you to sign up with the least amount of guarantees and least amount of money. They also tend to tell you what you want to hear or make deals with you, without holding up to their end of the bargin.

Basically don't listen to a word the recruiter says, most of it is sugar coated. But, make sure if you agree on a guaranteed location, singing bonus, rate/job, etc.. that you get it in your contract. Make sure all the "i"s are dotted, and "t"s crossed. Seen a lot of people get to bootcamp thinking they have a guaranteed something to see that their recruiter was feeding them BS, and didn't follow through, or just told them a big lie. Do your own research on the services. Ask people in currently, people who recently joined, etc...
Ouch! It's funny how there is such a huge stigma about recruiters. I am not going to call out branches, but some are more notorious for lying than others. I have been doing recruiting for the Air Force for three years now and can honestly say I have not lied to one person. In today's world, especially with the web, anyone can look up what I say to say if I lying or not. Bottom line, it's not worth it. The nice thing about the Air Force, whatever job you sign is the GUARANTEED job you will be doing for the next 4 or 6 years. Unless of course you volunteer to do something different or you get in trouble. As of right now, the Air Force doesn't really have any bonuses, only a few jobs will have them. The jobs are either dangerous or hard to qualify for; Special Tactics for example. As far as getting stationed where you want, it comes down to your job and bases it is offered. I have people who get their first pick, I have people get a pick nowhere on there list. The ASVAB is a common sense but it AMAZES me how many people can not pass. I have college graduates who try to join and can't pass it. It wouldn't hurt to pick up a study guide and brush up. Bottom line, sit down with all the branches for an appointment to see what they all offer and talk to friends and family before you make a decision. As far as Air Force goes, once you join the wait time is 6-8 months before you leave. Good Luck!!

Old 06-28-2009, 02:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 05RedFX4
MM3 (machinist mate 3rd class)

There may have been others there, or just outside the gulf at that time, but I never saw them. In fact our Captain told us we were the only ones there (may not have been true, but that is what we were told)
Oh, maybe I was a little cryptic in my description when I called them 'somewhat less visible'. I was referring to the submersible type, like the one I was on at that time (SSN-705, USS City of Corpus Christi).

Old 06-28-2009, 02:55 PM
Originally Posted by samantha_grace
Ouch! It's funny how there is such a huge stigma about recruiters. I am not going to call out branches, but some are more notorious for lying than others. I have been doing recruiting for the Air Force for three years now and can honestly say I have not lied to one person. In today's world, especially with the web, anyone can look up what I say to say if I lying or not. Bottom line, it's not worth it. The nice thing about the Air Force, whatever job you sign is the GUARANTEED job you will be doing for the next 4 or 6 years. Unless of course you volunteer to do something different or you get in trouble. As of right now, the Air Force doesn't really have any bonuses, only a few jobs will have them. The jobs are either dangerous or hard to qualify for; Special Tactics for example. As far as getting stationed where you want, it comes down to your job and bases it is offered. I have people who get their first pick, I have people get a pick nowhere on there list. The ASVAB is a common sense but it AMAZES me how many people can not pass. I have college graduates who try to join and can't pass it. It wouldn't hurt to pick up a study guide and brush up. Bottom line, sit down with all the branches for an appointment to see what they all offer and talk to friends and family before you make a decision. As far as Air Force goes, once you join the wait time is 6-8 months before you leave. Good Luck!!
Recruiters earned the stigma. Quotas are a terrible thing when you are under pressure. Recently there was a problem with Army Recruiters, pressure to meet quotas and suicide.
I joined right after Viet Nam in 1975 when the military was unpopular and I did 3 years of recruiting back in the 1980's at a time when the services were not meeting recruiting goals and there was lying by omission, indirect lies (I got a couple before I joined) and flat out lies told to the unsuspecting to make recruiting goals. Many were promised schools and bonuses in writing and told drug admissions/criminal charges would be waivered, then a few weeks or so into boot camp (3 months long back then) they would be given the choice to get out or forget the schools and bonuses and go to the fleet after boot camp. Then there were many schools promised with no record of the promise when the time came to go to school or the fleet.
The worse the economy, the more people join and quotas are met, the less lies, tricks and bribes (bonuses) are necessary.

In the Navy you may get schools and guarantees but the needs of the Navy always come first and everybody gets a minimum of 90 days of TAD (Temporary Assigned Duty away from your normal GUARANTEED job assignment)

Common Sense-I never understood why they call it that when it seems it's uncommon to have it.

Old 06-28-2009, 03:02 PM
I have been in the Coast Guard for 6 years now its a great job, I'm an Aviation maintenance technician and I work on this plane in the pic the Falcon

Quick Reply: Military Service