Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 06:43 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Coffee in the field!
At least it was kinda warm.
C rats, my luck of the draw was always, the eggs, or the beanie weenies

Old 06-16-2009, 10:01 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
US Navy 1968 to 1974 CTM Communication Technician. Lots of good duty and sites ending on the USS Saratoga CV60

Old 06-17-2009, 11:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Air Force! Only 14 more years to go....

Last edited by samantha_grace; 06-17-2009 at 11:40 PM.
Old 06-19-2009, 06:35 PM
Cool

Dang, you guys responed real quick. I've been thinking about joining for the past little while. I have no close family that is in so I really have no one to talk to, but from what I hear from everyone else is they liked it or wished they where still in it. I'm just not used to all the lingo and what everything stands for but I am gradually catching on. Being out of school for 7 years now i've lost everything I knew and boot camp might kill me. I'm just ready to get out of this hole in the wall place and learn some new perspective about whats going on in this world. Hell and meet some new ppl & get an better education. I just can't get over why more ppl don't JOIN?? Thanks guys & gals, justin

Old 06-19-2009, 07:07 PM
AF Retired 1984 - 2004. Now Army Civilian.

Old 06-19-2009, 09:49 PM
Originally Posted by Deereman
I just can't get over why more ppl don't JOIN?? Thanks guys & gals, justin
Not sure about now but it wasnt exactly a breeze serving...it was rewarding and got to see and do many things I otherwise probably never would have but they got their money's worth out of me also. Many sacrifices of time (working hours) and you are on a salary but I enjoyed my job as much if not more than the military...and I got 4 years of free college, retired at half my pay for life and full medical benefits until 65 when social security is supposed to kick in for giving only 20 years.
I had so much fun time flew by...most days.

Many people don't join because they either cant or don't want to conform and some of those that think they can join and fail.
Some are afraid to die...
Some have drug problems...
Some have legal problems...
Many think they can fare better in the private sector...

Looking back, if I had it all to do over, I would in a heart beat.
Remember to take advantage of all the resources and opportunities you can because they will take advantage of yours.
Good Luck!

Old 06-19-2009, 10:17 PM
Dang, you guys responed real quick. I've been thinking about joining for the past little while. I have no close family that is in so I really have no one to talk to, but from what I hear from everyone else is they liked it or wished they where still in it. I'm just not used to all the lingo and what everything stands for but I am gradually catching on. Being out of school for 7 years now i've lost everything I knew and boot camp might kill me. I'm just ready to get out of this hole in the wall place and learn some new perspective about whats going on in this world. Hell and meet some new ppl & get an better education. I just can't get over why more ppl don't JOIN?? Thanks guys & gals, justin
When I joined, I had no Idea, that I could run 5 miles at a time, walk 30 miles in a day,while carrying 80lbs of gear, set up a camp, sleep in the mud, pull guard duty twice a night, dig a hole in rocks with a toy shovel, spend a month at a time in a jungle, jump from high places, throw grenades, shoot a LAW, figure out where I was on the map[no gps then] call in artillery,air support. etc:.

Looking back, it was the most stress free days of my life But it builds a bond among men whether they served it together, or at different times and circumstances. It gives you pride to know your Country can count on you.
That was a lifetime ago.
O, I was a hometown recruiter also.

Old 06-19-2009, 10:42 PM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
.... I'm just ready to get out of this hole in the wall place and learn some new perspective about whats going on in this world. Hell and meet some new ppl & get an better education...
I joined when I was 18.
Without a doubt the best decision I ever made. Put me on a different path, a better life.
I only did 3 years and I'm 53 now but, those three years are the most crystal clear, faces, places, incidents good and bad.

The years since just seem muddled together as we trudge through this thing called life.

Old 06-20-2009, 12:10 AM
You all have nailed it so well. Glad it is service wide aswell.

Old 06-20-2009, 12:16 AM
Dang, . I just can't get over why more ppl don't JOIN?? Thanks guys & gals, justin
Well, for some, like me---it came down to passing the physical---right before I was going to join the USMC and go through PLC, I blew my knee out The left one the second was still to come...passing the physical was out, so my life took a different turn just then. As others haves said, some do have valid reasons for not being able to serve.

TSC

Old 06-20-2009, 07:41 AM
It seems more and more everyday the right direction to go in. I'm just hoping that I picked the right branch. Man is it going to be a change I'm kind of curious of what type of equipment they have and how bad it is to see out of it??(heavy equipment operator) And do you have any say in base pay when u sign up or any little piece of advice that you learned real quick the first couple days in??

Old 06-20-2009, 08:28 AM
US ARMY - OH58D Pilot, I've been in 6 years now and it was the best decision I have ever made.

Old 06-20-2009, 08:33 AM
^^^^
I'm sorry, but the base pay question is funny.
For the first 3 months you belong to the US government. Everything you have will be issued to you, and you will have little time to think of much else.
Things may have changed in the last 3 decades, but I'm sure you'll do well.
Get used to being poor for a few years, but what you gain is good for you.

Edited: this remark was made to Deereman.

Old 06-20-2009, 10:32 AM
Usaf

4 mar 66-4 mar 74. All over the world. Some was a vacation with a job. Some was not a vacation still liked the job.

Old 06-20-2009, 10:39 AM
Originally Posted by referee54
Well, for some, like me---it came down to passing the physical---right before I was going to join the USMC and go through PLC, I blew my knee out The left one the second was still to come...passing the physical was out, so my life took a different turn just then. As others haves said, some do have valid reasons for not being able to serve.

TSC
Teaching is the most honored, and time consuming profession there is. You have served your Country.

Quick Reply: Military Service