General Gun Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 02:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just a couple of comments from an old retired law enforcement firearms instructor. Try out as many different handguns, rifles, shotguns, as you can. It's the personal fit and feel in your hand that makes a big difference. I have my personal preferences, but what I like, may not be what you like. And the old saying goes, you can't hit anything with a gun that you can't control. Sure a .44 Mag roars like a lion and kicks like a mule, but can you handle it, can you get off more then one controlled shot? Repeated hits to the target with a controllable .22 has much better results that repeated misses with a .44.
.357 or .40 are both good handgun rounds. Rifle.....Ruger Mini 14 gives a good bang for the buck. Can't go wrong with your shotgun pick of an 870.

Old 03-29-2008, 02:21 PM
Originally Posted by Regulator54
Just a couple of comments from an old retired law enforcement firearms instructor. Try out as many different handguns, rifles, shotguns, as you can. It's the personal fit and feel in your hand that makes a big difference. I have my personal preferences, but what I like, may not be what you like. And the old saying goes, you can't hit anything with a gun that you can't control. Sure a .44 Mag roars like a lion and kicks like a mule, but can you handle it, can you get off more then one controlled shot? Repeated hits to the target with a controllable .22 has much better results that repeated misses with a .44.
.357 or .40 are both good handgun rounds. Rifle.....Ruger Mini 14 gives a good bang for the buck. Can't go wrong with your shotgun pick of an 870.
Any suggestions on the pros and cons of a pistol grip folding stock vs regular stock? I'm a first time buyer so not exactly sure what I am looking for yet.
Just thought this was cool I ran across it earlier today.

Last edited by CRF250rider1000; 03-29-2008 at 02:23 PM.
Old 03-29-2008, 02:26 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
Originally Posted by CRF250rider1000
Now that... my friends... is very useful.

Also... do any of you guys shoot random junk... like... old tires, metal objects, cement, etc?

Like I saw a guy shooting bags of garbage to see what would happen. It was quite funny.

He shot a garbage bag full of kitchen trash with a shotgun from like 10 feet away, and it literally blew it up from the spread...

Old 03-29-2008, 03:07 PM
A shotgun is a shoulder weapon and should be used and mounted to your shoulder accordingly. The pistol grip full length stock is fine, but I would stay away from the pistol grip without any stock or the flimsy folding stocks. They have their purpose but I have seen countless trainees on the firing range who approached targets on a walkdown course with the shotgun at their hip, "Terminator style", who totally missed an upright man-sized target because their gun and eyes weren't on the same plane. Keep it mounted to your shoulder at the "low ready" and you will hit what you are pointing at. That's what the shoulder full length stock is for.

Old 03-29-2008, 03:23 PM
my order is in for the new Springfield Armory XD-45 ACP 4" Compact, Bi-Tone (stainless slide, black frame)... now if Springfield would hurry up and ship to the distributors already!!!

Old 03-29-2008, 03:26 PM
I currently have a Sig P226 in .40 and LOVE it. The only problem is im a little guy, 5'11'' and 165#s soaking wet, so I have a hard time concealing it....

I recently was at a gun show and checked out some of the Kahr's there. I have big hands, hence why I love the feel of the Sig, and the Kahr was a small gun, but felt good in my hand.

They seemed to be a decently priced gun, and definately fit the bill for concealment purposes.

I am going to try and find a place to test one out before I buy. Does anyone have any experience with one of these? I want one in .40, I have NO intentions of ever buying a 9mm.

Also, does nybody have any recommendations on concealed carry holsters? It feels most comfortable for me to carry it in the small of my back, plus with warmer weather coming its easier to hide under a shirt. Any links to any sites selling them would be a big help!

Thanks!

Old 03-29-2008, 03:28 PM
A shotgun is a shoulder weapon and should be used and mounted to your shoulder accordingly. The pistol grip full length stock is fine, but I would stay away from the pistol grip without any stock or the flimsy folding stocks. They have their purpose but I have seen countless trainees on the firing range who approached targets on a walkdown course with the shotgun at their hip, "Terminator style", who totally missed an upright man-sized target because their gun and eyes weren't on the same plane. Keep it mounted to your shoulder at the "low ready" and you will hit what you are pointing at. That's what the shoulder full length stock is for.
Yea I just liked the fact that the folding stock made it easier to store/transport. I would never think of getting one without the stock I was mainly looking at this one
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/52857

Last edited by CRF250rider1000; 03-29-2008 at 03:48 PM.
Old 03-29-2008, 03:36 PM
A good plastic folder if not too bad for transportation purposes only. Just make sure you open it before you use it. Never get one of the skeletonized metal folders, they just split cheeks open with the recoil.

Medic man......IWB, inside the waistband, holsters work good for concealed in warm weather. Stay away from middle of back, you end up with problems in drawing the gun when everything goes sideways. All the big manufacturers have a good selection, Safariland, Bianchi, etc. You can go exotic and custom made, but they are expensive, have a lengthy waiting list, and are primarily used by the well heeled professional gunslingers.

Old 03-29-2008, 03:55 PM
I'm thinking of a 44" Pelican case to store the shotgun. That way if I want I should have room to put a handgun in their when I turn 21.
I may use it for air travel sometimes. That is why I am looking into a quality case to protect my investments. Also they are water resistant, locking, and have rollers, which makes it easy to transport
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...761&t=11082005

Do you guys keep ammo in your cases? Seems like it would be nice to have everything in one box. Maybe a little compartment running along the case in the front that holds a lot of ammo. For example where the white space is

Last edited by CRF250rider1000; 03-29-2008 at 04:01 PM.
Old 03-29-2008, 05:11 PM
Different rules for different jurisdictions. Gun and ammo together in one place is good, in another it's not. Airlines are really picky about firearms. Check their regulations before you attempt to fly with one in your luggage. Any quality, hardsided, preferably aluminum, locking gun case is worth its price.

Old 03-29-2008, 05:14 PM
Different rules for different jurisdictions. Gun and ammo together in one place is good, in another it's not. Airlines are really picky about firearms. Check their regulations before you attempt to fly with one in your luggage. Any quality, hardsided, preferably aluminum, locking gun case is worth its price.
I'll have to check into that

Old 03-29-2008, 05:24 PM
Originally Posted by BalogUK
my order is in for the new Springfield Armory XD-45 ACP 4" Compact, Bi-Tone (stainless slide, black frame)... now if Springfield would hurry up and ship to the distributors already!!!
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/41809
looks like a sweet pistol!

Old 03-29-2008, 06:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tumba
Is there a good handgun that can be concealed in the back pocket and still stop em in their tracks.?

I'm getting older, not as strong, I'd rather just bust em one and get it overwith

But seriously is there a pistol to fit that need.?
There are definately some small guns that fit into the "pocket" category. Seecamp makes arguably the best quality .380 pocket gun money can buy. If you don't mind waiting 18 months for it, you can get a new one for around $750. Ruger just released their new pocket .380 called the LCP. It's a really hot seller right now, and goes for under $300. Personally, I'm not ready to trust a caliber that small, so my "pocket gun" is my new Smith and Wesson Airweight .357. It won't deliver the .357 round at its maximum potential velocity because of the very short barrel, but it's still superior to the sub-caliber mouseguns as far as stopping power goes.

here's a pic to give you an idea of size:

Also, you mentioned carrying in your back pocket. I strongly urge you to consider a holster no matter what method of carry you use. There are lots of pocket holsters, as well as IWB (inside waist band) holsters that are ideal for the little guns.

Old 03-29-2008, 07:07 PM
Originally Posted by 1muddytruck
There are definately some small guns that fit into the "pocket" category. Seecamp makes arguably the best quality .380 pocket gun money can buy. If you don't mind waiting 18 months for it, you can get a new one for around $750. Ruger just released their new pocket .380 called the LCP. It's a really hot seller right now, and goes for under $300. Personally, I'm not ready to trust a caliber that small, so my "pocket gun" is my new Smith and Wesson Airweight .357. It won't deliver the .357 round at its maximum potential velocity because of the very short barrel, but it's still superior to the sub-caliber mouseguns as far as stopping power goes.

here's a pic to give you an idea of size:

Also, you mentioned carrying in your back pocket. I strongly urge you to consider a holster no matter what method of carry you use. There are lots of pocket holsters, as well as IWB (inside waist band) holsters that are ideal for the little guns.

Old 03-29-2008, 07:18 PM
Get the Walter PPK it's a .380 and it's tiny but has a nice heavy feel. It's a sweet looking gun. James Bond style.

Quick Reply: General Gun Discussion