Ford got me again

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2021, 05:55 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Ford got me again

Well my 2017 limited with the ecoboost and 80k miles trashed a timing chain, Almost $4k latter - it is back on the road for 3 weeks. Now the ac, power windows , radio will not work and get this, all because i have a cracked taillight on the passenger side. taillight is $1550 plus labor to install and it has to be programmed. So almost $6k on a 4 year old truck. when my 2001 super crew spit a plug I swore off ford til 2012, my 2012 f150 has been great, The limited is garbage. tried to buy a new 3/4 ton last week and the pos at the dealers wanted $7k over on an already $82k truck. Trading the limited in next week and i will not be back Ford. been driving since 82 an the only time i had to go into a motor was the 2001, 5.4 and the ecoboost. Service writer told me to either buy extended warranties or get a new car every 3 years, say all these high tech parts have high tech prices and it will just get worse. ford knows the spark plugs were their fault and they know the ecoboost trashes timing chains. Talked to too many people to tell me different.

Old 09-02-2021, 08:41 PM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
I tend to agree - vehicles have become WAY too high tech with so many parts reliant on one another for everything to function properly. I suspect the days of running a vehicle cheaply and trouble-free for 150k - 200k miles are over. Am I the only who finds a “$1500 taillight that needs to be programmed” absolutely ludicrous…..???

Last edited by ddellwo; 09-02-2021 at 09:02 PM.
Old 09-02-2021, 09:29 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
Shoulda kept that 2001. Spark plug blowout is relatively easy to repair. The compexity of the new trucks is one reason I hang on to my 02. A new engine or transmission is cheap compared to screwing with these new ones.

The following users liked this post:
Old 09-03-2021, 05:02 AM

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by BROTHERDAVE
Well my 2017 limited with the ecoboost and 80k miles trashed a timing chain, Almost $4k latter - it is back on the road for 3 weeks. Now the ac, power windows , radio will not work and get this, all because i have a cracked taillight on the passenger side. taillight is $1550 plus labor to install and it has to be programmed. So almost $6k on a 4 year old truck. when my 2001 super crew spit a plug I swore off ford til 2012, my 2012 f150 has been great, The limited is garbage. tried to buy a new 3/4 ton last week and the pos at the dealers wanted $7k over on an already $82k truck. Trading the limited in next week and i will not be back Ford. been driving since 82 an the only time i had to go into a motor was the 2001, 5.4 and the ecoboost. Service writer told me to either buy extended warranties or get a new car every 3 years, say all these high tech parts have high tech prices and it will just get worse. ford knows the spark plugs were their fault and they know the ecoboost trashes timing chains. Talked to too many people to tell me different.

the “spit plug” was operator error

cracked tail light? lack of driver mod caused?

incorrect oil / filters causes timing chain / VTC issues - so that’s 99.99999999% operator error as well

good thing no other manufacturer has issues or known problematic areas, good luck to ya

Old 09-03-2021, 09:17 AM
Yeah, gm and ram have their known engine issues. Don't know about toyota or nissan. toyotas have the worst gas mileage ratings of any. When variable cam timing and displacement on demand were added to engines it created problems that didn't exist before. right now, dealers aren't giving much if any discounts off sticker.

Old 09-03-2021, 06:51 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
I've got a '00 Dakota, '07 F150, and a '07 Compass.

I love how simple everything is to work on them. Parts are still readily available, and it does not take a computer engineer to work on them.

That Compass is going to have 400k miles on it in the coming months. My family bought it with 7 miles.

If it wasn't for the scamdemic, I would've had well over 400k on it by now...

Old 09-03-2021, 08:40 PM
A tail light that can get a hairline crack and take out the ac, windows, radio , and leave the running boards extended is a bad design. $1500 tail light that requires it to be programmed is crazy. Eco Oil was changed as per factory recommendations ,you know what else leads to timing chain problems.? bad design. As for the spark plugs does my stock 2004 lightning have more threads than the 2001 motor? …bad design. Yes all cars have design flaws , even fords, it’s ok to admit it. You know what is funny, all car dealerships have a service department out back and they are all busy. They all have there problem. They all have recalls and they all make mistakes. Anyone can google timing chain 2017 ecoboost. ., believe what you. My brothers 2019 navigator had the chain replaced at 30k under warranty.

Last edited by BROTHERDAVE; 09-03-2021 at 08:53 PM.
Old 09-03-2021, 10:57 PM
From what I've read Ford changed the timing chain design to improve durability in 2017??

Old 09-03-2021, 11:48 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
Originally Posted by Roadie
From what I've read Ford changed the timing chain design to improve durability in 2017??
Correct.

The cam drive system changed from a single primary chain to a stronger two primary chain system with separate chains driving each cylinder bank. In addition to dual primary chains, the side plates on the chains were also thickened. The cam chain drive sprocket on the crankshaft is a double gear arrangement to drive the two primary chains. These two changes were done to improve the harmonics, and are also stronger to help minimize the chain stretch that can occur over time on the 1st generation 3.5L EcoBoost.

Old 09-04-2021, 03:12 PM
I thought it been corrected also…….. ask any service writer, shop owner or mechanic is they recommend the ecoboost or if they work on them to make the timing chain repair. Reminds me of the 2001 spark plug issue and then 2005 spark plug said hold my beer.

Old 09-04-2021, 04:59 PM
According to Labnerd, Ford and GM worked on the V6 together and GM has timing chain issues with their 3.6L V6 too, their version of the engine. GM has potential lifter/cam failures with their V8s. Ram has potential lifter/cam failures with their Hemis. The egr and def injection and particulate filters have screwed up all of the diesels. This is one reason I was tempted to buy a 2019 Frontier. It was old school and had a solid 4.0L V6. I failed to buy a new one and then a used one popped up at the GMC dealer with 5k miles on it. I made an offer that they didn't take. A couple of months later, they advertised it for $445 less than what I offered. I called and it was sold a couple of days earlier. I told the salesman to tell the sales manager that he really knew how to get top dollar for his trucks! Ha!

Old 09-04-2021, 07:17 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
I tell ya, I'd love like a '08 4.0l V6 Frontier with the 6 speed stick manual 4wd.

My buddy had one and he put it through it's paces. I loved driving it. The 1st gear was nice and short -- perfect for hauling trailers.

Old 09-05-2021, 09:39 PM
I've been wondering about the reliablilty of the Tundra 5.7L engine so after some searching I found that some of them burn oil, many leak oil at the gasket between the head and the part of the head that holds the cams. It's unique in that there is a plate for lack of a better word bolted to the head that holds the cams. So, if a cam or cam bearing goes bad you don't have to replace the whole head. And, the water pumps don't hold up. So, I suppose they all have their problems.

Old 11-10-2021, 12:53 PM
My brothers navigator just had the water pump crap out at 38k miles. service writer says they are starting to see this a lot. When the service writers see my 2012 harley with the 6.2 they all say , "hang on to that one, newer stuff not near as good". Navigator already had the timing chain replaced at 24k - 25k miles.

Old 11-12-2021, 09:37 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by BROTHERDAVE
because i have a cracked taillight on the passenger side. taillight is $1550 plus labor to install and it has to be programmed.
Its not "just a tail light" anymore. its a precision bracket that holds the Blind Spot Radar, that also happens to double as a tail light. But it's the radar that needs to be recalibrated....

Look at the necessary calibrations following windshield replacement.
My wife's 2017 Lexus got rear ended and the rear parking aid sensors had to be recalibrated because they are "advanced" parking sensors that can actually over ride the driver input and stop the vehicle.
My wife's 2017 :Lexus (in theory) has a list of recalibrations necessary after replacing a set of tires, or after doing an alignment too.

Welcome to the future. You want a high tech toy on the road that can do lots of things, radar cruise, lane keeping, blind spot etc. Those are all systems that require calibrations.

Quick Reply: Ford got me again