Ford got me again

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2021, 10:23 AM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Why I got my 2020 as an XL. Still has incandescent tail lights.

Adrianspeeder

Old 12-17-2021, 11:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Been researching a new truck purchase for over two years. I spent HOURS and HOURS researching F150, GM/GMC 1500, Ram and Tundra. Consulted Consumer Reports, Car Complaints .com, endless numbers of on line and YouTube reviews
Bottom line ALL of them EVERY last ONE have problems. All the manufacturers KNOW about these problems. Few address them in a timely responsible manner.
Of all the full sized pickups made Tundra is by far the most reliable.
BUT...............
Tundra gets quite poor gas mileage and if like me you hang onto a truck for 20 years and 250-300k miles Tundra's higher repair costs that are more expensive then most combine with about 4-5 miles per gallon worse millage and extra gas costs over 20 years and 250K miles adds up to an additional total cost to significant to ignore and not factor into vehicle purchase

My research showed no clear winner for title best all around full sized pickup. F150, GM/GMC, Tundra and Ram all failed to earn a Consumer reports buy rating.
I hate to state it like this but I bought an F150 because it was the best of the not so great pickups. Also I absolutely wanted a extended cab 8' bed and now only F150 and Tundra make an extended cab 8' bed in 1/2 ton pickup.
I couldn't find a 2021 F150 extended cab with a 8' bed 4x4 5.0L under $50k OTD, nor could I find the Tundra equivalent within 500 miles from my home. For 2022 Toyota eliminated the Tundra's 5.7L BOMB PROOF V8 in favor of a 3.5L twin turbo and I have no interest in being a Bata tester for the new Tundra engine. So the only other 2022 truck with both extended cab and 8' bed and a naturally asperated engine is F150.
If anyone cares to go to www.carcomplaints.com and when there look up 2021 and 2020 trucks and you can pull up all the TSBS's, factory recalls, filed complaints, and any investigations that pertain to that model year and make of vehicle. TASBS's and recalls were my primary reason to eliminate GMC/GM and Ram from consideration. I also eliminated Ram 1500 because of all the former and current Ram owners I spoke with they all had many MANY issues with their trucks but worse was how awfully they were treated by Ram when they wanted the problems fixed.
Bottom line with all of todays full sized pick up trucks you pay your money and you take your chances.

so I ended up having to order one

In the interest of fairness I need to update my above post concerning Toyota's 3.5L TT V8
I was wrong in saying it was a new for 2022 engine, yes it is new for the Tundra but not for Toyota as it has been in their flagship vehicle line the Lexus since 2017. So my statement of being a Bata tester was wholly inaccurate. I had never researched The Lexis line or any other Toyota car only the Tundra and I knew the Tundra's V8 was the same as used in the Lexus and it was a proven absolutely reliable engine. The fact Toyota started equipping their Lexus line of vehicles with a V6 twin turbo engine back in 2017 was completely unknown to me. So when Toyota announced it was replacing their superb naturally asperated 5.7L V8 with a twin turbo V6 I thought (incorrectly) that it was a completely new for 2022 engine as I know nothing of the Lexus line of vehicles.

I am now learned an important lesson on researching things, because when I Googled "New Toyota 3.5L V6 Twin Turbo reviews" up came a goodly amount of info but none of it listed or reported the fact this was the same engine as was in the Lexus and first was put into production back in 2017.
Live and learn.

Last edited by DMTJAGER; 12-18-2021 at 06:23 PM.
Old 12-20-2021, 09:24 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
its "beta" not "bata" testing.

anyways, not all are apples to apples across each brand, but you already know that

FWIW I tried to look up inventory on the Ford website and being the end of 2021, but they dont have 22 out on the website yet. bummer

Old 04-02-2022, 11:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is really Tundra that bad?

Originally Posted by DMTJAGER
Tundra gets quite poor gas mileage and if like me you hang onto a truck for 20 years and 250-300k miles Tundra's higher repair costs that are more expensive then most combine with about 4-5 miles per gallon worse millage and extra gas costs over 20 years and 250K miles adds up to an additional total cost to significant to ignore and not factor into vehicle purchase

n.
I'm not shore if there is really that bad mileage. It will be a good idea to research TFL YouTube truck channel. they make real mileage comparison between brands loaded and unloaded and compare. Real life mileage are much better than sticker mileage.

Old 04-10-2022, 03:18 PM
Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts
My '77 and '07 are both looking better every day.

Quick Reply: Ford got me again