Expedition / Navigator

2000 Expy EB: Controlling Mach Audio from Rear seat

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2002, 07:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 Expy EB: Controlling Mach Audio from Rear seat

I have a 2000 Expy Eddie Bauer with the Mach audio and the back seat controls (for the headphones).

I THINK that there is a way to listen to AM/FM up front (through the cars speakers) while the kids listen to a CD in the back seat (through the headphones).

I cant seem to get this to work like I feel it should. Any advice?? I have read the owners manual, and it says "If there is a discrepancy between the rear set and the front audio controls (such as both trying to listen to the same playing media), the front audio system will receive the desired selection." It also says "From the rear seat controls, volume control can be set no higher than the current radio setting (unless the speakers are turned off)"

This leads me to beleive that this "multi-sourcing" is possible, its just that I cant figure it out!!!

Please help,
John Salley

Old 04-15-2002, 05:06 PM
I have a 1997 and I cant get it to work also. I think it was a mistake that ford has made. I was really looking forward to the dual mode when I bought my truck. I think that they have corrected the problem on the 01-02 Expedition. I think that if ford knows that they screwed up there should be a recall or something.

Old 04-15-2002, 10:50 PM
Now you've got me curious. I didn't think you could do that so now I'm going to have to try it!!

Old 04-16-2002, 10:59 AM
Mine works on my 2000 Expy. I believe it only affects mid 2000 and later vehicles (My manufacture date was June 2000). The operation is described in the manual.

You can listen to a tape with headphones in the rear while the forwar seats listen to the radio with the speakers.

it's kind of neat but I don't have kids so I never really used it. Only checked to make sure it works.

Last edited by ExpyBob; 04-20-2002 at 10:00 AM.
Old 04-16-2002, 11:41 AM
Ford didn't screw up. The early Expys didn't have it. Our '97 didn't have nor was it supposed to. Stop trying to blame Ford for something that doesn't suit you. To get the rear controls to work you have to press the lower right button. I can't remember the label on it since I do it from the front seat. You press the button until the radio displays dual play. Then the you press source? I think, for the different media to be played through the headphones. Remember though that you cannot listen to different radio stations since the radio is one source.

Old 04-16-2002, 08:23 PM
The 1997 was supposed to have that option. I think ford later understood that and decided not to do it. I think that I will drive this Expy for the next few years and trade it in on a nice excursion. Iam getting tired of small cars!

Old 04-24-2002, 05:31 PM
I have it in my 01 EB.
I know it works, because my 5yr old and 7yr old figured it out, but I have no freakin clue how to do it....
Leave it to the kids.
Its kinda like when our parents asked us to figure out how to set the clock on THEIR vcr, because they couldnt do it....
Greg

Old 04-26-2002, 11:34 AM
Rear Audio Controls

I have agree with Greg. My 16 year old grabbed the owners manual and was pressing all kinds of buttons to figure out the rear audio controls. He's got it down pat now.
On the front radio panel, look for the headphone symbol. If it's there, go to the rear panel and press the button with the speaker and headphone symbol. "Dual Mode" should display on the front panel. After that it's a matter of pressing the "Mode" button on the rear panel to select rear source (radio, CD, tape). The front source should remain as selected before Dual Mode was activated.

Last edited by Top; 04-26-2002 at 09:22 PM.

Quick Reply: 2000 Expy EB: Controlling Mach Audio from Rear seat