Expedition / Navigator

Damnit...2 days and I already got a problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 03:54 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry Damnit...2 days and I already got a problem

It's been raining for 2 days, so I couldn't get a good look at the paint and do a decent wash/wax.

I spent 5 minutes today on the rear hatch and found something under the paint. Looks like little flecks of something. The paint surface is raised and bumpy.
I'm going to Clay bar it in the morning. Really hope it's just some crap in the clearcoat that I can remove

Part that pisses me off is that this isn't the first time Ford has done this to me. I had the same issue with my 2006 F-150 in the sig. I had 3 doors, and a pillar that had to be re-sprayed.
They too had crap under the paint...in fact, looked exactly like what I'm seeing on the Expy.

Was really hoping the 1st time was a fluke. Guess not

I'll get pics tomorrow. The light was failing...and hopefully I'm jumping the gun. The Clay Bar will tell I guess

Old 04-25-2009, 11:40 PM

today the issue went from a tiny issue, to a major problem. well, 4 actually

it's been raining on/off for 2-3 days. And it was dark when I bought the Expy. The road dirt hid the paint conditions pretty well. Anyways, the weather finally stayed pretty today. So I started cleaning the Expy up.
#1. On every single body panel I have found huge pits, paint chips, scratches or some other form of damage. The damage is similar to what you would find after a Winter up North with gravel on the roads. There are also quite a few door dings and paint transfers
Which is wierd, since the Expy has under 200 miles. I almost wonder if they were Weed-eating around it and some jerk was just slamming doors while rocks were being thrown.
#2. The Service Manager called it "Industrial Fallout". I don't know what the crap is, but every horizontal surface has some sort of wierd crap embedded in the clearcoat. Looks like crap, and the bigger particles apparently rust.
Clay bar doesn't remove it either
#3. Some sort of contaminant under the paint. Clay Bar proved it was under the paint. Not sure what it is, but it looks like crap.

#4. The doors aren't even painted in certain areas...and the hood is the same. Visually fine on the exterior, but the inner sides are just bare metal

Boy am I glad I decided to shine her up

The Dealership has an appointment for me to drop off on Tuesday. They acknowledge all the paint defects are covered 100%, but nobody would directly answer my question about the Damaged paint itself.
Apparently this Expy has been sitting on a lot since Feb 2008. Don't know how or why, but it got all that damage from sitting there over the past 1 yr :-huh

The Floor Manager was dancing around meeting me face to face. I ended up leaving after setting up an appt.
I gave them 3 options for the repairs. Hopefully they see the light and fix it perfectly. If not, I'm going to have alot of fun with that Dealership and Ford.

This is the second time I've bought a new Ford and had Paint defects that required respray
The options they have as I see it:
1. Complete 100% swap into a new vehicle with the same options
2. Independant Paint Repair Appraisal at a shop I trust. Then deduct that amount from my final purchase price...or given to me.
3. Pretty much a complete 100% respray of the entire Expy. There are so many spots, that I'm not sure they could correct and blend into each panel
anyhoo...Looks like they'll have it at least 7 days, but more likely 10-15. I'm expecting an equivalent rental vehicle as well.

I'm trying to upload a video of the carnage. There are just too many pictures. I've taken a metric butt-ton of photo's to document the damage.

Old 04-26-2009, 01:15 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That royally sucks.IMO,a full TOP quality respray or another vehicle similar to yours...with less miles than yours the way it sits.Make sure you note the mileage on yours btw

Old 04-26-2009, 01:44 AM

under 200 miles...hasn't even been registered yet

I'm giving them 1 chance to make it right, then game on. I cannot believe the nerve of that dealership to sell a Brand New Vehicle with such blatant damage

Old 04-26-2009, 02:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford has a Disput Settlement Board you can take up with if things get uglier. Sorry about this bro. I had three dings on mine and some scratches that were taken out but still feels *****y when you have damage on sucha big purchase. Good luck brother.

Old 04-26-2009, 09:21 AM

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
Fallout is far too common than you might think. In fact, if you have a light colored car, more than likely you have seen fallout after you have washed your car. You know, those brown little specs that look like rust.

What is it?

Fallout in most cases is simply rail dust (small air borne metal particles) that get kicked into the air from a rail train's vortex or vehicle brake linings. When it lands on your vehicle it still is dust by definition but if your car is dirty it will stay on the surface until the car is washed. It is now when the fallout adversely affects your vehicle's surface. If the fallout is left on the car with an overnight rain or if a considerable amount of dew takes place; the metal particle begins to rust on top of the painted surface. Rust is a chemical reaction between the metal and the moisture. Now the metal particle, if magnified, looks like a jagged kidney stone that will embed itself into the painted surface.

Causes - What to stay away from

Industrial fallout and rail dust can occur just about anywhere. Here are some suggested areas to avoid when parking your pride and joy. Airport parking lots, parking lots adjacent to freeways or railways and lastly shipyards.

How to remove it permanently

A common misnomer is to treat this as paint over spray and utilize a clay bar to remove the fallout. STOP!!!!! This will only break off the top half of the rust particle and leave the metal still embedded in the paint surface. Upon it getting wet again, the fallout will return and you'll have an unhappy customer.

Industrial fallout must be removed with an acid wash to the painted surfaces. Aggghhh sounds scary! Not really, in fact this process takes less than 15 minutes and will not harm any surface of the vehicle. After the acid wash the vehicle must be neutralized with an alkaloid wash. That's it, no excessive rubbing or polishing is required.

Text from Auto-Detail School

Old 04-26-2009, 12:13 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by ManualF150
Fallout is far too common than you might think. In fact, if you have a light colored car, more than likely you have seen fallout after you have washed your car. You know, those brown little specs that look like rust.

What is it?

Fallout in most cases is simply rail dust (small air borne metal particles) that get kicked into the air from a rail train's vortex or vehicle brake linings. When it lands on your vehicle it still is dust by definition but if your car is dirty it will stay on the surface until the car is washed. It is now when the fallout adversely affects your vehicle's surface. If the fallout is left on the car with an overnight rain or if a considerable amount of dew takes place; the metal particle begins to rust on top of the painted surface. Rust is a chemical reaction between the metal and the moisture. Now the metal particle, if magnified, looks like a jagged kidney stone that will embed itself into the painted surface.

Causes - What to stay away from

Industrial fallout and rail dust can occur just about anywhere. Here are some suggested areas to avoid when parking your pride and joy. Airport parking lots, parking lots adjacent to freeways or railways and lastly shipyards.

How to remove it permanently

A common misnomer is to treat this as paint over spray and utilize a clay bar to remove the fallout. STOP!!!!! This will only break off the top half of the rust particle and leave the metal still embedded in the paint surface. Upon it getting wet again, the fallout will return and you'll have an unhappy customer.

Industrial fallout must be removed with an acid wash to the painted surfaces. Aggghhh sounds scary! Not really, in fact this process takes less than 15 minutes and will not harm any surface of the vehicle. After the acid wash the vehicle must be neutralized with an alkaloid wash. That's it, no excessive rubbing or polishing is required.

Text from Auto-Detail School
thats what that **** is on my truck. can i make ford fix it so i dont gotta waste my time?

Old 04-26-2009, 01:50 PM

12 months, 12,000 miles

I had the problem fixed on my F-150 and they almost wouldn't cover it. I was at the 11 month point when I discovered it

good luck, and it doesn't hurt to ask.

Old 04-26-2009, 02:01 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by Tylus
12 months, 12,000 miles

I had the problem fixed on my F-150 and they almost wouldn't cover it. I was at the 11 month point when I discovered it

good luck, and it doesn't hurt to ask.
dammit! have had the truck for about 14 or 15 months. noticed it a while back but it was just one spot, now theres more

Old 04-26-2009, 08:23 PM

try..worst they can say is no

Old 04-28-2009, 02:22 PM
That really sucks, especially on a new Expy Limited. Wanna see some pix of the damage.

Old 04-29-2009, 12:19 AM

got pics of it today on my iPhone. the dealer circled every defect with a yellow grease pencil....looks like a damn cheetah

once I figure out how to upload them, i'll post 'em

the dealer is making me get all the warranty areas of the paint repaired first, then they'll determine what to do to fix all of the rock chips and scratches

I hate dealerships

Old 04-29-2009, 03:36 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm sorry to hear that you have to go through all of this on a BRAND NEW vehicle... ridiculous, really.

Old 04-29-2009, 04:13 AM

sorry for the crappy quality, these are from my iPhone. I didn't have any of my good cameras in the car since I thought I was dropping it off for repair.

btw, in case you didn't know. Ford requires pictures on any repair totalling $100 or more. So I get to wait about 2 more days to get repairs authorized...and to top it off, the rental car will only be a FOCUS...WTF? I bought a damn Expedition EL for my family of 5...not a Focus. I have to fork over an additional $30/day if I want anything bigger.
I am so pissed at Ford right now. I cannot believe the paint defects made it past anyone. I keep finding stuff by accident. 1/2 the **** I've found just by looking...no detailed inspection or anything

every single body panel has these markings, but these 2 doors are the worst of the lot

Old 04-29-2009, 10:06 AM
Heh, you're right, it does look like a cheetah. That's pretty bad. Would have figured they would have treated you a little better after you bought an Expy in this economy. Ridiculous.

Quick Reply: Damnit...2 days and I already got a problem