for those who have removed exhaust manifolds

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 05:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
for those who have removed exhaust manifolds

im trying to get my stock headers off to put my dynatechs on but how in the H did you guys get the drivers side lower nut off, the one furest toward the front bumper? that is the last one i have left and i cannot seem to fit anything down there to take the nut off

any help?

Old 12-04-2009, 10:10 PM
nobody :-(?

Old 12-05-2009, 02:11 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Some drill them out and re-thread, some drill and reverse drill them out, with alot of penetrating oil.

Old 12-05-2009, 11:30 AM
sorry i should have stated i have not broken any off and im not trying to get any broken ones out and i have not used any penetrating oil at all.

since it is only an 08 and i dont live in the rust belt i dont have any rust

i meant that i just cant get a socket or anything down there to get that one. i am trying to get it from the back of the engine because the only way to get it out from the front would be to take a pulley and some coolant hoses off and i do not want to do that.

Old 12-05-2009, 11:34 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Most people who have done header jobs stated they used ratchet sockets to get in the tight corners. Ask Gotts2Bme for some advice, he is very well educated with headers.

Old 12-05-2009, 11:41 AM
yeah i got all sorts of ratchets and racheting wrenches, im going to have another go at in in about an hour, move onto the other side too. i am going to have to cut my stock cat out of it

then remove the starter and hopefully everything should go smoothly

Old 12-05-2009, 12:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
boxed end crowsfoot?

Old 12-05-2009, 01:05 PM
i could get it with a ratchet if i could just reach it, i need a super long ratchet like a snap on one but im sure o'rielly wont have a long one

Old 12-05-2009, 01:08 PM
When i did mine, i cam in from the bottom to break it loose, using a socket and a three inch extension, then a swivel joint, and then a really long extension again. It was a pain trying to get it onto the nut, but with some deep breaths and soothing thoughts it isn't so bad. After I broke it loose I come down from the top with a 1/4 inch ratchet and deep well to get it the rest of the way off. That is was time consuming as I could only get a couple clicks a time out of it.

For installation i did just the opposite. I also used the supplied bolts. They have it set up so you "hang" your headers on the two lower outside bolts for instillation. Make sure you have these bots threaded in as far as you can while still being able to hang the headers on them. I failed on the driver side and it took for ever to tighten that bolt two clicks at a time!

Hope this helps

Old 12-05-2009, 01:12 PM
is yours 2 or 4wd? i could easily get it from the bottom except i have 4wd so i have the front pumpkin in the way and i cant see any little opening to get an extension through to the nut

Old 12-05-2009, 01:25 PM
don't remember which side it was but, one of them you have to drop the engine about 1-2in in order to get to the bolt.

Old 12-05-2009, 01:25 PM

go in from the wheel well, you may have to take a wheel off. It's a pain but definitely doable.

Also even though you may not be able to see it from the bottom doesn't mean you can't reach it half *** with a wrench, ratchet wrench, or even a small ratchet. When doing jobs like this you have to get creative

Also try to do the passenger side without removing the starter because it is a lot harder to replace it afterwards especially that top bolt on it. If you have to remove it by all means remove it but it will be a fight to reinstall it.

You need to have patients. If you get frustrated and want to wreck something like myself you need to take a break. Mine took me 4 days lol.

Old 12-05-2009, 01:48 PM
haha ok well im just about to go cut the cat out and then get to the pass. side bottom nuts and studs.

i have tried everywhich way from the wheel well, i have the wheel off and i cannot get it

Old 12-05-2009, 03:23 PM
Mine is 4WD, Let me run outside and try to take a pic of where I went up through. It was a very small opening, that is why I needed the 3" extension between the socket and the swivel.

You do not need to jack the engine up, or lower it as was mentioned. I took my skid plates off, the trans crossmember off, and removed the starter. That is all.

Replacing the starter kinda blows. The hardest part is blindly finding the hole and getting the bolt started. After that I used an extension that brought the ratched back far enough to clear the started and came up from the bottom and just kinda "felt" for the bolt.

My biggest unseem problem was plugging the O2 extension into the front factory harness on the passenger side. I waited till the end to do that, but if I had to do it over I would do that before installing the headers.

Take your time and stay relaxed. It toom me a sunday and 2 nights to do mine (a bit over 20 hours total). But that was using the most basic of hand tools and it was cold and raining durring two of those nights. I did go buy a swivel head ratchet for installing the new bolts, and a 5mm box end wrentch for removing the studs in a few spots where a ratchet just didn't seem to fit. Well worth the cost.

Last edited by schmack; 12-05-2009 at 03:33 PM.
Old 12-05-2009, 03:32 PM
Here is a pic of where I went up through. There is a small opening between the front diff and the rack and pinion, right by where the steering linkage attaches.

Quick Reply: for those who have removed exhaust manifolds