Exhaust change, need input

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 10:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exhaust change, need input

Ok so I had a 40series flowmaster with both rear cats removed. loved the sound but was really throny at high way speeds.

Changed it up a few months ago to the following:

rear cats still deleted, with true dual exhaust with H pipe running into 2 bullets and dual rear exit behind back tires.

Sounds good too, but now have a constant throne when on the gas. It doesnt bother me, but my wife will not ride in the truck anymore. Instant headache for her.

So, here is my question.

I got the old rear cats, can I weld them in before the bullets or do they have to be back in stock location? I'm basically just wanting to use them to quiet down the ride again. I'm trying to avoid cutting and welding where they use to be. laying under the truck and trying to weld in that tight place sucks. Back by the bullets is a lot more room to weld/cut.

Other solutions beside replacing the bullets?

Old 11-18-2009, 02:18 PM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
Throne... that's a new one

Old 11-18-2009, 02:25 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I wish you had videos of both of these exhausts. Let me answer your question with a question, and input.

Are the Bullets just as deep as the Flowmasters, or deeper? On a 1 - 10 scale how would you rate the volume of the Flowmaster inside & out compared to the Bullet? If the Bullets louder the bullet can be 10. And does the Bullets exhaust idle as loudly as the Flowmasters? or is it close to, or barely noticeable.

And to answer your question, you could try putting 1 converter in the intermediate pipe. I would not try putting two because they will block flow. The down banks since they are right by the engine have eough velocity power to blow the exhaust through them, so they are supposed to be up where they belong in the Y pipe.

Old 11-18-2009, 03:50 PM
Originally Posted by DarrenWS6
I wish you had videos of both of these exhausts. Let me answer your question with a question, and input.

Are the Bullets just as deep as the Flowmasters, or deeper? On a 1 - 10 scale how would you rate the volume of the Flowmaster inside & out compared to the Bullet? If the Bullets louder the bullet can be 10. And does the Bullets exhaust idle as loudly as the Flowmasters? or is it close to, or barely noticeable.

And to answer your question, you could try putting 1 converter in the intermediate pipe. I would not try putting two because they will block flow. The down banks since they are right by the engine have eough velocity power to blow the exhaust through them, so they are supposed to be up where they belong in the Y pipe.

To answer your question:

My own opinion the flowmaster (si/do) 40 series sounded much better. At idle they are about the same. The bullets are just louder, they dont have the throne, but just constantly louder. It's hard to describe. I wish I would have made a sound clip with the FM vs now. I can tell you at 65mph it's hard to hear my GPS giving directions, and I have the bullets mounted as far back as possible. I had a passenger in my extended cab, he had problems hearing us talk in the front.

I can't put just one cat back in because I'm running a true dual now. I dont have a section where both run into one. both driver and passenger have their own pipes. Only section they meet up is a H pipe. Perhaps I'll just put the cats back in their original spot to make things more quiet.

Old 11-18-2009, 06:21 PM
dido cat

Old 11-18-2009, 06:48 PM

That could work but wouldn't it still drone alot? Unless its an OE similar cat with sound deadening wool in it.

I would have your rear cats put back inplace.

Old 11-18-2009, 07:19 PM
The Roush exhaust is by far the best sounding exhaust I've ever heard and I've heard alot. My buddy just put one on his f150 and it sounds awesome, I'm getting one for my truck now after hearing his.

Old 11-18-2009, 08:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Damn... FLowmaster sounded better than bullets?
lol

Old 11-19-2009, 03:57 AM
you should still be able to weld your rear cats back on. that will tame it down. you still have 1 pipe coming from each bank.

Old 11-19-2009, 08:56 AM
Yes, I personally liked the sound better from the flowmaster. The bullets give it a sound like what you would hear at a race track.....flowmaster more of a cruiser sound with a rumble. Its really a matter of opinion.

Performance wise from what i've read the bullets give you more vs the FM.

As for the cats. yea I can still weld the rear cats back in their spot....just tight there with frame etc on both sides and on the drive side even less room because of the 4x4 system. Things like that are easy when you have the car up in the air, more complicated with laying under the car with almost not enouph room for the welding helmet etc...

Old 11-19-2009, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Midnightride42
Yes, I personally liked the sound better from the flowmaster. The bullets give it a sound like what you would hear at a race track.....flowmaster more of a cruiser sound with a rumble. Its really a matter of opinion.

Performance wise from what i've read the bullets give you more vs the FM.

As for the cats. yea I can still weld the rear cats back in their spot....just tight there with frame etc on both sides and on the drive side even less room because of the 4x4 system. Things like that are easy when you have the car up in the air, more complicated with laying under the car with almost not enouph room for the welding helmet etc...
Remove the cross member in the way then un-bolt your downpipes before pre-cats and lower your exhaust out then. Since you have true duals your exhaust is probably all welded, if you can loosen it any way try it. This is what I hate about having a welded exhaust.

Old 11-19-2009, 04:06 PM
one last question....

I can get 2 FM 50series for 50bucks....do you think running those would be quieter than the bullets?

I would think those would be more quiet, especially if I add the rear cats back in.

thoughts?

Old 11-20-2009, 09:30 AM
50s in and leave the other cats out will still be quieter than them bullets. The problem is, I don't know if you can find a pair for $50. You might get lucky on ebay... They might even be deeper sounding than the 40s...

Old 11-20-2009, 10:57 AM
Originally Posted by avfrog
50s in and leave the other cats out will still be quieter than them bullets. The problem is, I don't know if you can find a pair for $50. You might get lucky on ebay... They might even be deeper sounding than the 40s...
I have someone selling them locally here for $50....not rusted or anthing. deeper is nice at idle or WOT, but at cursing speed I dont want the droning sound the 40 and bullets gave me....

Old 11-20-2009, 12:18 PM

Well the 50s will still drone but not as hard. It will probably sound like a 40 without catalytic converter work. They will surely be calmer than the Bullets.

Quick Reply: Exhaust change, need input