Someone Stole my Tip?! Pics.. lol

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 05:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Someone Stole my Tip?! Pics.. lol

okok.. I don't know exactly when or where this happened.. but I was out shopping earlier today and came back to my truck looking like this.. lol

So yea.. apparently someone sawed off one of my tips? It looks pretty ugly down there.. looks like I needed to work off some of that rust and put a fresh coat of paint down over the tips anyways.. lol

It looks like such a clean cut, I know it didn't just break off on it's own.. I just can't imagine why they would only take one.. geez it would have atleast looked nicer if they took the other one too.. lol

What would you guys do? I can pick up another SS Magnaflow 18" tips for another $35, and the local exhaust shop told me they'd charge $25 to fix it up again. If I go this route, I'm only out the bank $60.. no big deal..

I really like the exhaust setup I had before, but I suppose I have no guarantee someone won't chop a tip off again.. what would be the difference if I just cut the exhaust off past the mufflers? Would it actually be louder, or would it just be louder in the cab? What would you guys do?

I'm thinking I take my chances with another tip, go back to what I had before.. and if someone decides to jack another tip sometime soon I just cut everything off and dump it somewhere after the mufflers?

Old 10-19-2009, 05:17 PM
Wow. Some people's kids... What are the odds of this happening a second time?

Old 10-19-2009, 05:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dude that is weird

Sucks that it happened though

As far as exhaust routing I always loved the way FX4Life had his set up, very clean

With black tips it would look just as great

Last edited by Bluejay; 10-19-2009 at 05:42 PM. Reason: Please stop circumventing the language filter
Old 10-19-2009, 05:36 PM
My rear end doesn't look half as sexy as FX4Lifes.. he has a lil more room to polish the pipes and stuff.. lol

Seriously tho.. $60 doesn't sound too bad to have a new tip put back on does it? Seems reasonable enough to me.. whatcha guys think?

Old 10-19-2009, 05:38 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Damn dude that sucks. Must have been a hell of a sneaky job to make suck a clean cut in a public area and not get caught. You weren't by any chance parked in a camera monitored lot?

I'd actually say get a new one and have them 45'd but thats more than $60, so put it back to the way it looked and update some paint.

And you've had your exhaust for well over a year, should get an updated video of it, it sounded great in the one video you have, but they had to have opened up a little more since

Still loving the headlamps too!

Old 10-19-2009, 05:38 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
weird, any jagged edges that would indicate it was cut?

60 seems a little high, but not too unreasonable

Old 10-19-2009, 05:46 PM
The 2nd pic shows the cut tip up close the best.. it looks pretty clean, and it's behind the weld, so it's not like it fell off on its own.. lol, only thing I can guess is it got cut off..

Yea I need to get a new video.. that one in my sig was when I just had it put in and it was kinda windy that day.. I think the tone had gotten a little deeper.

But yea... $60 installed.. $35 for the same tip from performancepeddler and free shipping (couldn't find it much cheaper) and then $25 for them to fab it up.

Old 10-19-2009, 05:57 PM

that sucks man. at work over the summer someone stole the cats off a truck or suv from the parking garage. ???? with building security and the smoking section is in the garage????

Old 10-19-2009, 06:09 PM
yea.. like I said, I don't know exactly when or where this happened.. but I'm assuming it happened yesterday sometime.. lol..

So much for the expensive remote start alarm system.. it can't even prevent my tips from getting stolen.. lol.. j/k.. this wouldv'e happened either way

I already ordered the new tip.. I just can't get over why they only took one.. I better not say too much.. I'm sure the 2nd tip will disappear soon enough.. lol..

but yea, I park in open parking at my apt. complex, my truck won't fit underneath the covered spot.. so my wife parks there. I have a clear view from 2 windows in the apt at the truck, and I've been parkin here for nearly 2 years.. I tell ya what though.. If I see any truck around here driving around town with a single black Magnaflow exhaust tip I'm gonna do more than just cut their exhaust tip off.. lol

Old 10-19-2009, 06:20 PM
That sucks but is funny all in one

Old 10-19-2009, 06:32 PM
yep someone defiantly took a sawzall to your tip

i would not take my truck back to that shop..., those welds are horrible...

Old 10-19-2009, 06:40 PM
Yea the welds do kinda look like crap don't they lol? Maybe if I cover them up with enough spray paint they won't look like puke? lol.. I suppose I can't complain, it's only gonna cost $25 for them to fab it up.. and there aren't many shops in town that do this kinda work.. unless you guys trust Midas?

aside from the welds, the tips were put on extremely straight and even the first time around, a lot better than some of the jobs I've seen around town.. I suppose it'll be good enough to get me by for now..

Old 10-19-2009, 06:46 PM
Turn downs right where it is! Thats what I did.. and I love it.

Old 10-19-2009, 07:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by azmidget91
yep someone defiantly took a sawzall to your tip
Not necessarily. It took me < 5 minutes to cut off both my pipes with something like this:

Except the one I used was a smaller hand-held version and still did a terrific job. Had to install my own tips, so I rented the tool from Advance Auto Parts and did it in their own parking lot. I think this is what they used (hand-held version---couldn't find a pic of one). It has a bunch of little pizza-cutter blades attached to each link and they tighten around the pipe as you tighten the wrench, cutting it.

As far as dumping the exhaust, if you do it after the mufflers the only sound difference would be the resonance from the tips. That, and it will be louder inside the cab. I'd say put new tips on there and hope for the best. If it happens again, get another shock sensor and mount it to one of your hangars.

Last edited by mblouir; 10-19-2009 at 07:07 PM.
Old 10-19-2009, 07:18 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Atleast they didn't take both, then you would be out atleast $70, and then you might have ended up dumping which would have sucked to see.

It would be pretty funny to see your tip on another vehicle, then you follow it whenrver it goes & they make a run for it

That hand pipe cutter tool looks pretty handy. That cut is too clean for a sawzall. A sawzall going through stainless would be alot sloppier from the vibration, and hella noisey & attention drawing.

Quick Reply: Someone Stole my Tip?! Pics.. lol