I want to upgrade the exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 12:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I want to upgrade the exhaust

After seeing Patman's exhaust setup. Its making me want to upgrade to true duals I will run the xpipe from the cats then add the mufflers. I have a SI/SO now and want a better rumble than what the Summit exhaust has.

Which is louder the bullets like Pat's or say two Magnaflow mufflers.

What would this increase or decrease as far as engine productivity?

Last edited by thenewbreed; 02-11-2009 at 09:54 AM.
Old 02-11-2009, 09:26 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The bullets will be much much louder.

It will be maybe a 3% decrease. Not noticeable at all unless you tow something really heavy. Unless your truck is tuned and modified for the performance you'll see gains.

Old 02-11-2009, 09:53 AM
Ok I think I am going to look into 2 magnaflow mufflers. Is this a popular setup or are there better options?

Old 02-11-2009, 11:55 AM
Originally Posted by thenewbreed
Ok I think I am going to look into 2 magnaflow mufflers. Is this a popular setup or are there better options?

Probably as good as you can get. Depending what sound you want, Magnaflow does make very quality parts that last.

Old 02-11-2009, 03:59 PM
Yea. Magnaflow seems like quality. As far as the mugglers and xpipe go. Do I need to find by product numer the correct ones for my truck or are the universal.

Old 02-11-2009, 04:03 PM
Yea. Magnaflow seems like quality. As far as the mugglers and xpipe go. Do I need to find by product numer the correct ones for my truck or are the universal.
They are universal, but you need to make sure on the Mufflers that you get the correct offset and so forth, and pipe size, as with the X pipe. Make sure it's the correct pipe size for it. Darren will be back around soon, at least tonight, he has all the part numbers he can give you.

Old 02-11-2009, 09:42 PM

If you want quality look into Borla.

Old 02-11-2009, 10:11 PM
help if you can

I have been trying to get some help on an 08 Supercrew. I put the DIDO magnaflow on and had so much drone that I had to take it off. Loved the sound of the magnaflow. I installed 2 of the Hooker aerochambers. NONE OR LITTLE DRONE now. They sound good with the windows down but are probably to quite for others. I want to install my x pipe but am not sure of the proper location if I even install it. I have a good sound and I know that the X is going to change the sound. You all might be able to help me out. Don't want to make another bad install and due to the Supercharger I'VE been told that any mods after a true tune will effect the tune. Got some upgrade coming and don't need to make any changes after that.

Old 02-12-2009, 12:28 AM

Well you can go with my Magnaflow X pipe ( $80 ) but you can get the same exact thing for maybe $40 - $50 shipped on ebay. Mufflers it depends on your size. I knew Magnaflows were quiet so I wanted the loudest ones I could get ( non race series ) so I went with the 11" bodies, they are the shortest ones ou can buy, and if you haven't already, have a listen to my exhaust below the signature.

Originally Posted by mSaLL150
If you want quality look into Borla.
x2.

Old 02-12-2009, 09:09 AM
UIll have to check on Borla. How do they compare price wise? What about drone? Would the gryphon I use fix this issue or is it a known problem?

Ok also, what is the difference betwwwn the SI/Do and DI/DO. I think thats the correct terminology. I know the difference in setup but what is the difference in performance

Last edited by thenewbreed; 02-12-2009 at 09:25 AM.
Old 02-12-2009, 10:49 AM

UIll have to check on Borla. How do they compare price wise? What about drone? Would the gryphon I use fix this issue or is it a known problem?

Ok also, what is the difference betwwwn the SI/Do and DI/DO. I think thats the correct terminology. I know the difference in setup but what is the difference in performance
Borlas a hell of alot more expensive because they're top quality mufflers, ceramic inside, direct flowing, T-304 stainless everything. $90 - $200 for mufflers depending.

SI/DO acts as a single system with dual tailpipes.

DI/DO acts as a true dual style which does require dual pipes, but into a single muffler. Its not healthy for exhausts even if the muffler is internally X piped, two single mufflers would be much better. Single exhausts with single or dual tailpipes perform better than dual exhausts/true duals. Velocity remains high pressured in singles which is where your low end power comes from.

Old 02-12-2009, 10:55 AM
Originally Posted by DarrenWS6
Single exhausts with single or dual tailpipes perform better than dual exhausts/true duals. Velocity remains high pressured in singles which is where your low end power comes from.

Really? I did not know that. So if thats the case why would anyone go with true duals insted of a SI/DO?

Old 02-12-2009, 11:02 AM

Really? I did not know that. So if thats the case why would anyone go with true duals insted of a SI/DO?
I did it because I like the more aggressive sound, and dont tow too much. Other people do it mainly for that exact reason, and some actually do upgrade headers and cats and get tuned and invest in alot of performance modifications. In that case, true duals perform a little better. But in 5000lb+ trucks, single exhausts are better due to a better velocity pressure. It isn't easy for these engines to get all that weight moving without good low end.

Old 02-12-2009, 11:05 AM
Thanks alot that makes sense too me now.

Quick Reply: I want to upgrade the exhaust