New exhaust, drone problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 07:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New exhaust, drone problem

Well I got my new exhaust yesterday. Sounds great, a little unhappy my muffler guy put the muffler about 2.5 ft farther back than I told him. He said it sounds better the further back, but he still didn't listen. Problem is the same as when I had the open headers, a really bad drone below 2k rpm's. The muffler, of course, quited it down, but the drone is still pretty bad. I got the magnaflow #12468 (which has the built in x pipe), no cats and pacesetter full length headers. Will moving it forward help with the drone more? Or would the bigger #12568 help? Or should I just use sound insulation in the cab?

Old 12-19-2008, 07:48 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did you run any tailpipes?

Phil

Old 12-19-2008, 08:28 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
another idea is leave it where it is and sound deaden the inside of the cab really well. You can do that for about $250 and it will get rid of almost all the road noise including the droning.

Old 12-19-2008, 08:35 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Well.. If the muffler was more forward then it would be louder in cab. The further back it is, the calmer it will be inside due to the muffler will be under the bed. What makes your exhaust drone alot is the fact that you dont have cats.

Old 12-19-2008, 09:14 AM
?

Originally Posted by DarrenWS6
Well.. If the muffler was more forward then it would be louder in cab. The further back it is, the calmer it will be inside due to the muffler will be under the bed. What makes your exhaust drone alot is the fact that you dont have cats.
x2-my mufflers are right before axle, x up where y was- no drone, and i have a van that would multiply any exhaust noise-

Old 12-19-2008, 10:21 AM
I have 3.5" tips.

openclasspro#11, yeah but you still have the stock manifolds and that could be making all the difference.

I thought about sound insulation, but that would be a lot of work and I would rather get rid of the drone itself if there is any other way. What about the bigger muffler, would that work? Any other ideas? Cats are not an option.

Old 12-19-2008, 10:32 AM

I know it is a lot of work but without putting the cats back on that is the only way you will get a noticeably quieter ride.

Old 12-19-2008, 11:49 AM
What can I get? Where should I put it? I know behind the seats, but should I worry about the floor, its carpet?

Old 12-19-2008, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by CEE21
What can I get? Where should I put it? I know behind the seats, but should I worry about the floor, its carpet?
I would do the back wall for sure (seal up the two vents), the floor if you can or want to and the doors with a single layer. It will make a huge difference with the just the floor and the back wall. If you look in the audio section there are some posts about doing it. I would highly recommend Raamat audio and use their Raamat sound dampening. It is very very reasonably priced and it is very workable for a weekend warrior. If you look up a member here named Msall150 he as a good set of photos showing the Raamat being installed. Here is the link to his photo album. https://www.f150online.com/forums/me...io-system.html

Old 12-19-2008, 01:39 PM

I have 3.5" tips.

openclasspro#11, yeah but you still have the stock manifolds and that could be making all the difference.

I thought about sound insulation, but that would be a lot of work and I would rather get rid of the drone itself if there is any other way. What about the bigger muffler, would that work? Any other ideas? Cats are not an option.
Why aren't cats an option? Thats mainly the point where your interior drone comes from. A bigger muffler could help minimally.

Old 12-20-2008, 11:13 AM
For one, no inspections. And I won't it to be as free flowing of an exhaust. Why would moving it farther forward bring more sound in the cab? The purpose of the magna is to absorb sound. Wouldn't that lessen the drone?

Old 12-20-2008, 11:22 AM

For one, no inspections. And I won't it to be as free flowing of an exhaust. Why would moving it farther forward bring more sound in the cab? The purpose of the magna is to absorb sound. Wouldn't that lessen the drone?
There is a such thing as hi-flow cats, which both Bassani & Magnaflow make great ones, and the purpose is a direct flow exactly like their mufflers, and still has wrapping inside to resonate a bit of sound to prevent interior drone ( not affecting the noise out the pipes ) and still burning the gases properly to keep the CEL off.

And thats not exactly how they work. As I explained, if the muffler is completely under the bed, theres less exhaust droning to vibrate soundwaves through the cab, because its under the bed. Magnaflow mufflers are designed to flow straight piped, while giving it a deeper sound to it with the rock wool, and surrounding all of this in the outer layer of the muffler is tight packed wool to keep drone at a minimum, but depending on various header and cat set ups, drone will appear elsewhere throughout the exhaust not being the mufflers fault.

Old 12-20-2008, 12:06 PM
I've got high flows on my setup, no in cab drone whatsoever, take a listen, clip in my sig.

Old 12-20-2008, 04:59 PM
fyi , drone is experienced in the cab, not at the tailpipes

Old 12-20-2008, 11:06 PM
Thanks Darren. I didn't know about the high flows being straight through as well. But in any case, I am not getting them. I could be wrong on this, but what your saying doesn't make much since to me. If they are designed to absorb the dorne with the wool, that takes down the vibration from the sound. From the headers to the muffler is just a straight pipe letting the sound vibrate through the pipes into the cab until it gets to the muffler. It is like if someone spoke into a wall with insulation versus non, the insulation would absorb the sound and thus make it quieter in that spot. Does that make any sense or am I still missing it?

Quick Reply: New exhaust, drone problem