New Odometer - Crank but no start

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 07:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Odometer - Crank but no start

Hi guys,

I just installed a new odometer cluster on my 1999 Ford F-150 XLT 4.2L V6 truck that I bought on ebay. When I bough this truck a month ago the previous owner informed me that the odometer had just been changed because of the known dim issue of the odometer clusters in these trucks.

Since I wanted the type of odometer that came with this truck as well as the real mileage on the odometer, I used Carfax and Autocheck to figure out real miles and bought a used odometer on ebay accordingly. So, I installed the new odometer and now the truck shows "Theft" blinking on the new odometer and cranks but does not start.

Interestingly, when I put back the old odometer the truck starts and without any odometer cluster connected it also starts flawlessly.

I only have one key and I do not know what the previous owner may have done to the previous odometer to make it work.

Any ideas of what I can do to make the new odometer cluster work on my truck?

Thanks!

Old 07-18-2012, 07:52 PM
When I turn the key the new odometer cluster appears to operate normally, but when I try to crank start it, the odometer goes blank and only the blinking "Theft" light shows.

Old 07-18-2012, 08:06 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
This sounds to me like a problem with the PATS circuitry. These procedures may or may not help:
If the "THEFT" light is flashing, use the following procedure to restore vehicle functionality.
Turn the key to the "ON" position, but do not attempt to start the vehicle.
The "THEFT" light will begin flashing rapidly (twice a second). After about 60 seconds, the "THEFT" light will stop flashing rapidly and begin a sequence of slow flashes (usually 1 blink, followed by 6 blinks).
Turn the key to the "OFF" position and completely remove the key from the ignition and hold at least two feet away from the steering column for 30 seconds.
Insert the key and turn to the "ON" position. Wait for the normal engine checking procedure to take place. The "THEFT" light should no longer be flashing. At this point you should be able to start the vehicle.
If, after completing the above reset procedure, your vehicle still won’t start, try this:
Turn the key to the "OFF" position and remove the ground (-) battery cable (from both batteries if your vehicle is equipped with two) for a period of ONE HOUR to allow the theft codes to clear. Re-attach the cables and attempt to start the vehicle.
Let us know if this helps.

- Jack

Old 07-18-2012, 08:34 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
you need to have your new cluster programmed to your truck by Ford

Old 07-18-2012, 09:02 PM
If the "THEFT" light is flashing, use the following procedure to restore vehicle functionality.

Turn the key to the "ON" position, but do not attempt to start the vehicle.
The "THEFT" light will begin flashing rapidly (twice a second). After about 60 seconds, the "THEFT" light will stop flashing rapidly and begin a sequence of slow flashes (usually 1 blink, followed by 6 blinks).
Turn the key to the "OFF" position and completely remove the key from the ignition and hold at least two feet away from the steering column for 30 seconds.
Insert the key and turn to the "ON" position. Wait for the normal engine checking procedure to take place. The "THEFT" light should no longer be flashing. At this point you should be able to start the vehicle.

If, after completing the above reset procedure, your vehicle still won’t start, try this:

Turn the key to the "OFF" position and remove the ground (-) battery cable (from both batteries if your vehicle is equipped with two) for a period of ONE HOUR to allow the theft codes to clear. Re-attach the cables and attempt to start the vehicle.
I appreciate your prompt reply and you advice Jack!

I tried the first method, it was exactly as you described, flashing for about a minute and then a sequence of slow flashes. Unfortunately it didn't work, I just disconnected the battery and I will try to reconnect and try to start the car in an hour.

If the second (disconnect battery for an hour) method does not work I will ask at the Ford dealership tomorrow as Patman recommended above.

Hopefully, I will have good news in an hour.

Thanks again!

Old 07-18-2012, 10:16 PM
Global Moderator &

you should be able to put the old one in, drive it there with the dash apart, and have the tech swap it and program it. Would be cheaper then having them pull the dash apart and putting it back together

Old 07-18-2012, 10:57 PM
Unfortunately, the second method did not work either.

Thank you for the advice Patman, will drive the truck to the Ford dealer tomorrow with the old odometer cluster for them to program it.

Old 07-19-2012, 06:17 AM
Global Moderator &

The thing that puzzles me, is that the truck starts and runs without ANY cluster installed. That's what led me to think programming was not needed.

Anyway, let us know what happens at the dealership. I hope it's not too expensive.

- Jack

Old 07-19-2012, 09:36 AM
Global Moderator &

Originally Posted by JackandJanet
The thing that puzzles me, is that the truck starts and runs without ANY cluster installed. That's what led me to think programming was not needed.
Guess I skimmed over that part. That is strange

Old 07-19-2012, 11:07 AM
If I take a good odometer then the truck will work without it, but if I put the new odometer cluster then it "blocks" the system and it will not start with or without the odometer installed. When I put back the good odometer (the old one that is programmed to the truck) then it will "unblock" the system and the truck will start with or without the odometer cluster on.

I just went to the dealer and they quoted me $175 for a new key as well as the programming. I have an appointment for tomorrow morning unless I can figure out a way to make it work before then.

Here is an idea, how about I put the old odometer that works to unblock the system, then cut the cable that handles PATS on the new odometer, preventing the new odometer to block the system. Do you think guys this setup will work? I guess that will be assuming I know which one is the PATS wire and assuming that will not break something else.

Thanks!

Old 07-19-2012, 11:34 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
I would bet that if you cut the cable you will disable the truck until you repair that cable.

Old 07-19-2012, 12:04 PM
Global Moderator &

Originally Posted by Bluejay
I would bet that if you cut the cable you will disable the truck until you repair that cable.
I agree, I would not try this kind of "modification".

The dealer's response supports what Patman said. The PATS needs a key that matches the transponder in the cluster. The cost you were quoted at the dealership seems about right to me too. Is that for two keys? You want two so that you will be able to program more on your own.

I don't think there is any way for you to locate and move the old transponder to the new cluster.

I think I read too much into one of your earlier posts. It sounds like you have to have the cluster mounted in the truck for anything to happen, right? I was thinking you said the vehicle would start with NO cluster present at all.

- Jack

Old 07-19-2012, 06:59 PM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
There's no transponder in the cluster. The serialized RFID tags are in the keys. The cluster reads the key's ID code and compared the code to what is stored both in the cluster's memory and in the PCM. They all have to match or else engine operation in prevented You cannot cut a cable to bypass this problem.

Go to the dealer tomorrow and get it fixed properly

Old 07-19-2012, 11:07 PM
Jack,

Indeed the truck will run without any cluster as long as the cluster that was previously installed was the "good" one. If I take the "good" cluster out, the truck will run normally. But if i try to crank with the "new not synced" cluster in, the truck will not start and it will not start after I take the "new" cluster out. If I put the "good" cluster back in, then everything goes back to normal and the truck starts normally, with or without the cluster installed.

The price is for 1 key and the programming of the cluster.

ProjectSHO89,

Thank you for your advice, I have an appointment at the dealership early in the morning and I cannot wait to get it fixed. I hope nothing else goes wrong "miraculously" while at the dealer

Thanks all!

Old 07-20-2012, 12:57 AM
Global Moderator &

Originally Posted by projectSHO89
There's no transponder in the cluster. The serialized RFID tags are in the keys. The cluster reads the key's ID code and compared the code to what is stored both in the cluster's memory and in the PCM. They all have to match or else engine operation in prevented You cannot cut a cable to bypass this problem.

Go to the dealer tomorrow and get it fixed properly
Thanks, project. I'm sure I'm misspeaking when I call it a "transponder". It's just the term that came to mind when I think of an electronic "reply device". And, if the cluster is not "interrogating" the key to get a generated reply, or vice-versa, then it's not a transponder.

But, to the OP: see if they'll program an extra key for just a little more. It will be worth it.

- Jack

Quick Reply: New Odometer - Crank but no start