Oxidation cracked this part...not sure what it's for (pics.)

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 10:28 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oxidation cracked this part...not sure what it's for (pics.)

During my quest to paint everything from backside of bumpers...I found this item cracked from the pressure of oxidation under it. (It was about 1/8" thick!)
This is looking up with spare tire removed.
Anyone know what this is for?
Part #3F2A-9D370-BA

It's tough to see, but the aluminum case is cracked right where the plastic cover is, (the top is split too!).

Thanks.....

Last edited by mjb1032; 08-09-2009 at 10:32 PM.
Old 08-10-2009, 12:21 PM

After a call to the dealer I'll reply to my own post.
This is the Electronic Fuel Controller ($106.); which leaves me with another question.
Should I replace it- even though it's still working?
Should I doctor it to buy me time?
What would you do?

Old 08-10-2009, 07:03 PM

the towing bill is going to be more than $106 if it breaks on you.

IMO Replace the sucker and have some piece of mind.

Old 08-11-2009, 03:38 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mrolgren
the towing bill is going to be more than $106 if it breaks on you.

IMO Replace the sucker and have some piece of mind.
I would 2nd that. You know it will fail you at the worst possible time, and from what that looks like, you won't have long to wait. I can't imagine why it has gone this long. Change it!

Old 08-11-2009, 08:13 AM

Mrolgren, That's an excellent point.....the tow would be more that.
I agree, I'll replace it for the peace of mind.
I'll add some spacers to the new one so this won't happen again.
If you drive at all on salted/sanded roads- I'd take a look at this part to make sure it's not failing the same way.

Thanks Guys...

Old 01-27-2010, 07:51 PM

When I replaced the part, I "spaced" it off the metal with some 1/4-20 stainless nuts under the mounting bolts. (Laugh if you want) I also encased it inside a plastic bag to keep it from the elements.
[IMG][/IMG]

Old 03-09-2010, 09:11 PM
fpdm

i bought my 04 2nd owner in 07 with 22000.. after about a year, i had a problem at the car wash... the underbody wash would make the truck sputter and stahl out.... then this year.. in the snow up here in indiana, the truck did the same thing... after the car wash incident, i took it to the dealer by my house..(a mistake i will not make again) and they looked it over,, and replaced the fuel pump and filter under warranty.... well when it did it again... it took it back to the same dealer.... after 3 days of "well its the fuel pump, and its not under warranty any more...$450+++" they told me it was that fuel pump driver module.... which is not covered under any warranty... ford or aftermarket.... and thankfully.. they went ahead and replaced it without my authourization.... so all i paid for was the part.... All said and done it cost me $117 for the module and two tow bills that AAA paid for.... my friend now works at a dealer,, and from what he's been telling me.. they've had a lot of these come in for this exact same repair... if anyone is having problems, check this first.. its alot cheaper than the pump, and with the spare tire removed, its very easy to check... Hope all of you have better luck than i did.

Old 03-09-2010, 10:44 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
There's a "How To" on replacing this Fuel Pump Driver Module here: https://www.f150online.com/forums/ar...placement.html

It suddenly seems to be getting a lot of press. I think it's worth checking and if you see the corrosion and distortion, I'd order a new one. It seems they are on "back order" right now and not expected in to parts departments until sometime in April or later. That could be a long time to go without your ride!

The work to replace it seems very simple, so there's no need to pay someone to do it.

- Jack

Old 03-10-2010, 09:02 PM
When mine went out it shorted out the fuel pump.Change it now save your self the headache.

Old 03-10-2010, 10:00 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mjb1032
When I replaced the part, I "spaced" it off the metal with some 1/4-20 stainless nuts under the mounting bolts. (Laugh if you want) I also encased it inside a plastic bag to keep it from the elements.
[IMG][/IMG]
This is getting to be quite a problem for us, and yes, it is on national backorder. You did the right thing by getting it off the frame rail with washers, but, I would not put it in a plastic bag. Moisture will have nowhere to go and you will have an internal short inside. Some of these have wiped out fuel pumps and PCM's when they go bad. Bottom Line: Plastic bag = Bad Idea !! CONDENSATION !!

Old 03-10-2010, 10:23 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by sam1947
This is getting to be quite a problem for us, and yes, it is on national backorder....<snip>....
Who told you this ? I got mine in 4 days from Tasca ( order to on my door step ).

Old 03-11-2010, 09:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
is this an issue on the 97-03's as well?

Old 03-12-2010, 03:27 AM
Originally Posted by SSCULLY
Who told you this ? I got mine in 4 days from Tasca ( order to on my door step ).
I'd heard that as well, here on the forums. Also heard the Expedition ones were B/O as well, but that was a while ago, and I haven't check up on those...

Either way, this is a reminder for me to check both mine and my dad's. Hopefully it isn't cracked.

Old 03-12-2010, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by Buxton91
is this an issue on the 97-03's as well?
The Fuel Pump Driver Module is only on the 04 ( excluding 2004 Heritage & Lightning ) and up MY trucks.

Old 03-12-2010, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by ELVATO
I'd heard that as well, here on the forums. Also heard the Expedition ones were B/O as well, but that was a while ago, and I haven't check up on those......<snip>...
This site has about the worst grapevine anymore.
1 member calls a dealer or a shop, they tell him a line, he posts it in a thread, and it becomes Gospel.
All the while, it was that 1 dealer / shop that really did not check.

Easy enough to check with the Ford online parts dealers, or better yet a site sponsor to get the real info.
Nobody does that.

Quick Reply: Oxidation cracked this part...not sure what it's for (pics.)