Fog light wiring harness

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 01:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fog light wiring harness

Ok I just recently put foglights on my truck but they didn't come with the wiring harness... Where can I get one? They are oem foglights that I bought

Old 05-18-2009, 02:01 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
If you are good with a soldering iron, just make one yourself.

Not that easy to find anymore, but 14 AWG flat 4 trailer wire works well for making driving lamp harnesses.

An inline fuse holder, sized correctly ( 14 AWG pigtails )

You would need the wire, some 9145 bulb connectors ( Autozone usually has them, calling them a "harness upgrade" which is just a male to female pigtail ) and a relay and switch of your choosing.

The diagram with a standard auto / Bosch relay is simple :

Just remember to use a good ground ( like the one for the headlamps on the fender, not the driving lamp mount ) and use heat shrink with the solder joins ( I prefer marine heat shrink with the sealant in it ) and get a relay large enough for the load + 20%, and try to stick with 14 AWG wire.

Size the relay and the fuse for 80% of the continual load.
If you have 2 x 55 W lamps, this is 110 W or 110/12 = 8.7 AMPs.
This means you should use a 15 A fuse in the harness, and at least a 20 A relay.

You can get the factory headlamp switch with the fog lamp option if you want, bit more work on adding the connector to the headlamp switch, but easy enough if you have a bone yard nearby with a truck in the same MY range as yours.

Let me know if this helps.

Old 05-18-2009, 06:45 PM
Ok that helps but what if I just want them wire to my headlights? So they both come on at the same time

Old 05-18-2009, 07:48 PM
Look hard for secured connectors tucked away.
It is a possibility that the wiring you need is already there. They consolildated alot
of features to be incorporated into a universal wiring harness for many different vehicles.
Mine didn't come with fog lamps, (99 F-150 XLT) but the switch has the fog lamp function and the wires are behind my front bumper. The wires are there if I wanted to add them to mine, and they are functional when the fog lamp relay is added. Double check before going through the trouble of wiring them up..

FordMasterTech

Old 05-18-2009, 08:35 PM
oh mine doesnt have the fog lamp function though...and i havent seen the wires anywhere

Old 05-18-2009, 09:16 PM
I had to order the headlamp/foglamp switch as mine didn't have the switch. I had the relay and the wire from the switch to the relay but that was it. I found the connector where the foglamp wire should have come out of but it wasn't there. I made my own harness and used an aftermarket relay. I tapped into the foglamp switch wire and ran it over to the aftermarket relay so I can have the driving lights on with the high beams.

Old 05-18-2009, 10:20 PM
if i was to buy an HID foglight kit how could i have them connected to my HID headlight kit?

Old 05-18-2009, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by will09lane
Ok that helps but what if I just want them wire to my headlights? So they both come on at the same time
No switch in the above diagram. The wire to terminal #85 is connected to the low / high beam wire ( which ever you want them to come on with ).

Originally Posted by will09lane
if i was to buy an HID foglight kit how could i have them connected to my HID headlight kit?
Same thing, the relay for the HID fog lamps ( as diagram above ), terminal #85 is connected to the trigger wire for the HID headlamps.

Don't bother looking for the harness, that stopped in 2003. 2004 +, unless the truck is ordered with them, the harness is not complete.

Last edited by SSCULLY; 05-18-2009 at 10:52 PM.
Old 05-18-2009, 11:01 PM
ok well i think the kit i just bought on ebay said that it came with the wiring to where i could wire it into my headlights or whatever else i want to wire them to

Old 08-19-2009, 06:34 AM
Originally Posted by SSCULLY
No switch in the above diagram. The wire to terminal #85 is connected to the low / high beam wire ( which ever you want them to come on with ).

Same thing, the relay for the HID fog lamps ( as diagram above ), terminal #85 is connected to the trigger wire for the HID headlamps.

Don't bother looking for the harness, that stopped in 2003. 2004 +, unless the truck is ordered with them, the harness is not complete.
I have a 2005 XLT without fogs and presently have the bumper installed and the lamps and brackets for them. I have the wiring to the 2 lights on order. Is there a connector to plug the harness into on one of the frame rails? I know I have to get the pull out light switch for the fog lights to work. What other work do I have to do to make them operational?

Old 08-19-2009, 08:42 AM

Which harness part number did you order ?

The fog lamp harness to the Central Junction Box is one continuous harness to connector C270A

Some have already had the fog lamp connectors by the bumper, but the part that always seems to be missing is the wiring from the main headlamp switch to the CJB, to turn on the fog lamp relay.

I have seen quite a few threads in the 2004-2008 forum on this topic. Don't know if someone figured out how to add the wiring from the switch to the CJB. This is the White w/ black stripe wire .

Old 08-27-2009, 06:17 PM
The wiring I got was to a F250, I had to alter the harness, but it will work. I have the ford fog light switch, all I need now is the info to make it work. Is the relay in the wiring for the light switch? Which wire goes from the switch to the fogs? Dying to make this mod operational. This is a call to the community...help.

Old 08-27-2009, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by 150 flareside
The wiring I got was to a F250, I had to alter the harness, but it will work. I have the ford fog light switch, all I need now is the info to make it work. Is the relay in the wiring for the light switch? Which wire goes from the switch to the fogs? Dying to make this mod operational. This is a call to the community...help.
You got the wiring for the factory fog lamps, or the wiring for adding fog lamps to a SuperDuty without fog lamps ? Did it come from Ford ?

How did you alter the harness ?
Altering will change how it works, so the directions or factory wiring for the Super Duty fog lamps is out the window with what you altered about them.

What relay are you talking about ? The F-150 the relay is in the Central junction box, the Super Duty the relay is in the Smart Junction Box.

Old 08-27-2009, 07:38 PM
Originally Posted by SSCULLY
You got the wiring for the factory fog lamps, or the wiring for adding fog lamps to a SuperDuty without fog lamps ? Did it come from Ford ?

How did you alter the harness ?
Altering will change how it works, so the directions or factory wiring for the Super Duty fog lamps is out the window with what you altered about them.

What relay are you talking about ? The F-150 the relay is in the Central junction box, the Super Duty the relay is in the Smart Junction Box.
The harness is from a F250 and wires the two fog lights together and there is a plug there to wire to the light switch . It is a Ford switch from Tasca. The harness was altered because the F250 fogs are closer togher than the F150. So what I did was alter the harness by taking the plug for a foglight and taking the plug for the switch and changing there position. The only part I have from the f250 is for the foglights, and it is altered to wire the two lights together.So that bring said, do I need a relay to make them work. And what wire from the oem switch controls the fog function?

Old 08-27-2009, 08:17 PM

Not sure what you mean by :
So what I did was alter the harness by taking the plug for a foglight and taking the plug for the switch and changing their position.
Do you mean to say you extended the distance between the 2 bulb connectors ?

The F-250 harness does not plug into the switch, it would plug into a connector by the fog lamps ( C134 ) , that takes the wiring to the SJB ( Smart Junction Box ).

What you really have is the bulb connectors, which means you need to get a relay, and make the remainder the wiring harness yourself.

Using this diagram as the basis :

The wiring part you have is from the aux lamps to the splice on each.

The ground you will need to extend and put on a ring crimp terminal. The amount of extension, is depending on which side you run to. Each side has a ground that the headlamps use, this is a good place to ground to.

The power side of the wiring harness, you will need to extend to where you are adding the relay at. This will attach to terminal #87 on the relay.

You need to complete the ground on the relay, and the terminal #30 with a fuse connection to the battery.

The part that is different on the diagram above is Terminal #85 to the switch.

Your terminal #85 will go to the new switch that you purchased. You will need to add pin #9 on the main headlamp switch connector C2150A. This is the White w/ Black stripe wire shown in the diagram above. This might be in the truck already, but usually this is the part that is missing from the Main headlamp switch to the CJB.

Quick Reply: Fog light wiring harness