New Owner - Where do I get Maintenance Info?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 02:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Owner - Where do I get Maintenance Info?

I'm a new owner of a 1998 F 150.

It came with an owners manual but when I went to look in the owners manual to find out what the part # is for a burned out interior bulb, there was no info at all in the manual.

Then I tried to find info on the wheel size. It's a 16" chrome wheel (stock I think) I just wanted to know the wheel width but still no info in the owners manual!

This seemed like some pretty basic stuff that is in the owner's manual for my other vehicles. Apparently for the F-150 this info is found elsewhere. I tried looking on Amazon for a Haynes or Chiltons manual and couldn't find one for that year. This was very surprising as the F-150 is such a popular truck.

So where can I find info on part #'s, general truck specs, and basic repair?

Thanks

Old 09-25-2006, 08:32 AM
go to your local auto parts store and look for the Haynes & Chilton manual, as for the bulb, go to the auto parts store and look up your truck in their book that is in or around the light bulb section

Old 09-25-2006, 09:25 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
In the PDF version of the Owners Manual, it only lists the exterior bulbs, none of the interior bulbs either. The 2001 also does not list any interior bulbs. Never paid attention to it.

If you go to www.sylvania.com under Automotive lighting, there is a URL for replacement bulbs:
http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProd...de/default.htm

It lists 2 numbers for Step/Courtesy lights : 578 / 912

The interior lamps in the EVTM are listed as Courtesy lamps, but I cannot be sure that this is the same way Slyvania is using the term. Best just to take the bulb out, and get the P/N off it / bring it with to compare the bulb numbers.

Wheels, the size should be stamped on the wheel itself on the inside rim area, if memory serves me correctly. There are quite a few options, and you might not have the stock one anymore, considering what the P.O. might have done.

If you are looking for a factory service manual, you can get these at www.helminc.com
You can get the service manual, service bulletins, as well as the EVTM for your year truck. These are the real ones from Ford.

Old 09-25-2006, 08:54 PM
You can get Ford service books or CD's on E-bay by doing a search on "Ford Service" You could take a permanet search until your books come up. They may not have those 2 things in them...

Old 09-25-2006, 09:49 PM
http://www.alldatadiy.com/

Alldata DIY (for Do It Yourself). Alldata is the only complany in the information business that has a copyright to exactly reproduce the factory information outside the OEM.

For $25/year you have everything in a factory manual, but it's more up to date because with the "Ford Service" books, they are only good up to the date they were printed; Alldata has all the updates and even gives you newly released TSBs and recalls. (Think of it this way-when was the last time a book salesman came out and put new pages in your book?)

Alldata Rocks!!!

Old 09-27-2006, 12:16 PM
Okay, thanks for the help, everyone.

Old 09-27-2006, 12:32 PM
According to my dealership, helminc.com is the official authorized ford service manual producer, and is where they get their stuff.

Old 09-27-2006, 05:27 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
rims should be 16x7 thats what mine are. i think. I actually says it on the rim itself if you pull the lug cover off....

And as for the bulb, just take the old one out, walk into auto zone, have them match it up for you. The interior bulbs are somewhat universal.
-Patrick

Old 09-27-2006, 05:53 PM
Originally Posted by akheloce
According to my dealership, helminc.com is the official authorized ford service manual producer, and is where they get their stuff.
That is true, but Walkin' it Dry didn't make his point strong enough. If you buy a book, how do you get the updates? The dealership gets them, but Helm (or other book producers) don't get you the updates.

For $25, get the latest version from Alldata DIY, as well as any updates that come out in the next year.

~~~~~or~~~~~

go to helminc.com and order ~most~ of the same information for $670, and not get any more updates...

I think I know what I'd do...

Old 09-27-2006, 06:24 PM
Originally Posted by Patman03SprCrw

And as for the bulb, just take the old one out, walk into auto zone, have them match it up for you. The interior bulbs are somewhat universal.
-Patrick
Yeah, this is what I did but I found 4 different bulbs hanging on the rack at the parts store that looked exactly the same but had different part numbers!

But I got it now, thanks.

Quick Reply: New Owner - Where do I get Maintenance Info?