XCAL 2 Updated Now its broke

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 12:52 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
XCAL 2 Updated Now its broke

I have an XCAL 2 from Troyer which I bought loaded with 3 tunes back in 2005 for my truck. Last week I received 3 new tunes that ordered from Troyer which takes almost 16 weeks to get btw. Anyway I had to update the tuner as requested by Gary Knick from Troyer with some downloads from SCT before I added the new tunes. I had SCT walk me through the updates on my computer, no problem, this was friday. I attempt to load my new tunes on Saturday since the unit is updated now and when i plugged the XCAL into my computer as the Ford Live Load says I get nothing. The tuner now doesn't beep or turn on or even aknowledge that its plugged in. The Ford Live Load says "Error XCAL Loopback Fail", "possible 161 error". So I am like WTF, SCT wants me to send the tuner to them for a 65.00 diagnostic check. I just paid Troyer 230 something for the tunes. At this point I should just get a damn XCAL 3 for what this is going to cost me.

Has anyone had this issue or is it just me?

Thanks for any reply on this.

Old 03-25-2013, 07:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That sucks.

Old 03-25-2013, 09:24 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
Have you talked to Troyer about this? It's possible their download is corrupted. And, someone at Troyer MAY be able to figure out what's wrong with your programmer if it's a firmware problem in the unit.

- Jack

Old 03-26-2013, 06:27 AM
I don't know that I'd blame Troyer so quickly. Although any software upload/download can be responsible, the issue may actually be hardware related. Given everything was golden before and the only change was the software, logic indicates the variable is to blame.

However, my experience with the X2 has proven to be less than fruitful. Whomever programmed the unit, the business unit who requested it and quality assurance who tested it for production did not take into account many variables.

With that said...do you want to spend $65 to find out? The answer is 'No'. You did your due diligence and paid your sweet cash (which I suspect paid the bills in the exact amount for which you paid).

So, what to do when the 'experts' pass the buck? The answer is 'pass it back'. Easier said than done I know. The law of averages indicates that screwing someone over is profitable. Just look at what happened to the banking/mortgage industry from 2008 till (who knows, its not over yet). Not one C-level person went to prison..not one director...and why? Because we hire lawyers on a salary basis (because if we paid them by the hour, that would be insane) to find loopholes and hire risk analysts to determine the amount of exposure for a given benefit.

Sorry to put it down like that. If you contact me privately, I will do my best to share my information as I do not see how I could be negatively impacted.

Old 03-27-2013, 08:26 PM
Global Moderator &

Please don't read my last post as a "blame". It wasn't. I simply know that sometimes software uploads do not go perfectly, and thought it was a possibility that should be looked at.

From the symptoms though, it sounds like the software/firmware download from SCT was corrupted. I'm sorry to hear SCT wants you to pay to correct this. I thought it possible that Troyer might be able to help you even in this case (and might do it at no charge).

- Jack

Old 04-01-2013, 11:02 AM
Troyer is helping me on this issue currently. SCT should lend a helping hand because it was their software and their tech that did it. He was linked in to my computer performing the update. Just wait n see for now.

Old 04-01-2013, 11:54 AM
Global Moderator &

Originally Posted by JETTUNER
Troyer is helping me on this issue currently. SCT should lend a helping hand because it was their software and their tech that did it. He was linked in to my computer performing the update. Just wait n see for now.
Good - this is the response I expected from both Troyer and SCT.

- Jack

Old 04-04-2013, 07:29 AM
Well, I couldn't get any relief from SCT so I bit the bullet and bought an Xcal 3 from troyer and they installed the new tunes I purchased earlier and applied what i already paid to the bill. So I am waiting for the new xcal to come in.

Old 04-04-2013, 10:34 PM
Hate to hear you had to buy a new programmer after their update screwed yours up. My Xcallibrator2 has never been updated and I will leave it as is after hearing of the problems you had with yours.

Old 04-05-2013, 06:56 AM
I wouldn't have done the updating but my truck started to run like s##t with all 3 tunes that were installed on it back in 2006. It began to feel like I was towing a loaded trailer all the time and you really had to smash the pedal to get it going. When I returned my truck to stock it ran like new again. It pulls hard again and runs really smooth. So thats when i asked if there were any updates since then and there were many. I guess mainly to adjust for the ethanol content in fuels today. No totally sure why the tunes seemed to degrade over time.

Old 04-07-2013, 10:46 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

I don't have the XCAL 3, I bought the Livewire TS 5015 two months ago. The screen freezes up on it sometimes. I have to unplug it to "unfreeze" the unit. I contacted 5 star (which is where I got it) about it and they seem to think it may need an update. After reading this I'm not sure I want to . My concern is that it will wipe out my custom tunes and then I'll be stuck. Or I'll do something wrong and really screw it up. Don't I have to "download" some type of program from SCT, then update off of that? I'm not a tech guy and this stuff scares me. I sent and email to SCT and am awaiting a reply. It runs good on the 91 performance tune I got. I've towed once on the tow tune, but it didn't perform right. So I need to contact 5 star about that.

Quick Reply: XCAL 2 Updated Now its broke