tuner for 2012 ecoboost

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 09:22 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by SpeedofSound
Lots of problems with the Superchips tune for the ecoboost f150. A lot of guys reporting poor performance due to spark knock, excessive noise which they have reported to sound like waste gate continually dumping boost while trying to maintain a constant rpm or climbing a hill, complaints about having to return the truck back to stock tune before being able to tow, gear indicator lights disappearing after flashing, back up camera problems after flashing, increased off idle hesitation and they do not use the most recent strategy from Ford available for our trucks. Superchips says they are fixing the problems and will release an update soon but it has been months since they said that and they still will only offer canned tunes, they are not custom tunes.
Personally, I went with Livernois. They are a bit pricey but I have been dealing with Livernois on a personal and business level for many years and their products are second to none! They have the most extensive experience, research and development with the ecoboost motor, above and beyond anyone else in the industry today. Livernois tunes make far more power than SC tunes and they do so with only about a 1.5 to 2lb max increase in boost, whereas SC has been reported to show much higher boost levels with far less performance, driveability and reliability. The driveability, power and gas mileage with my Livernois tune is outstanding, above and beyond words. Plus Livernois has available to them, the most recent strategy for our trucks and that is what they build each tune off of. They have tunes for all octane levels and they have a tow tune that you can actually tow the max weight without having to flash back to stock to tow.
I could go on and on all day, but like I said, I trust no other when it comes to ecoboost performance!
Sorry for the thread hijack

Cheers!
^^^ X2 ^^^

R U guys Nuts???

Never, EVER run a generic, canned tune on a highly refined, boosted platform.

It's either going to be so conservative not to notice, or Dangerous.

This is a Great drivetrain - it At Least deserves proper, comprehensive fully customized calibrations - with datalogging (or on a dyno) - with full instrumentation - A/F's boost, EGT's etc), by an Experienced, competent Expert fully conversant in the specific platform, to deliver Sustainable and Safe gains.

OR - leave well enough alone. It's not exactly slow out of the box.

MGD

Old 06-05-2012, 09:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well great info ! Do you have a custom/canned tune from livernois ?

Old 06-05-2012, 09:50 PM
Originally Posted by TOOLOUD
Well great info ! Do you have a custom/canned tune from livernois ?
I have a custom tune from Livernois. I was running a custom 89 octane tune from them for just my MBRP cat-back exhaust but I just recently ordered a AFE stg 2 CAI so I had them make me another custom tune but for 93 octane this time.
Livernois does not sell canned tunes for the ecoboost at all....they are all custom.

Cheers!

Old 06-05-2012, 10:05 PM
Sweet ! I already have the Afe stage 2 CAI and wanna get the best bang for my EB. I also don't want to have issues coming from ****-poor tuning , reputation and customer service go along way with me IMO

Old 06-05-2012, 10:08 PM
Speed - how did you like the 89 tune ? How much better is the 93 tune suposed to be with the stage 2 AFE CAI ?

Old 06-05-2012, 10:31 PM
Speed - how did you like the 89 tune ? How much better is the 93 tune suposed to be with the stage 2 AFE CAI ?
I absolutely loved the 89 octane tune! It gave me 56 more rwhp and 52 more rwtq. It not only made the truck an absolute beast but it still 100% drove like stock but with far less off idle hesitation than stock. At WOT it has a nice snappy shift but at low rpm's it still maintains a comfortable shift feel. Also, the truck does not constantly downshift to go up a hill or to pass. I just took a 250 mile trip and once the truck got into high gear, it stayed there. It did not need to downshift to climb decent hills and I was able to pass people and pick up speed without downshifting, from 50 to 80mph, with just a little pedal pressure. Best of all, my gas mileage increased in the city from a best of 13.6 to 16.4 and my highway gas mileage increased from a best of 17mpg to about 19.5 mpg average.
My 93 octane tune with the new AFE stg2 CAI is supposed to give me about another 84rwhp and 103rwtq with a peak gain being about 124rwhp and 139rwtq (guesstimateing based on a friend who has same mods and been on dyno). I haven't got my CAI yet so I have not had a chance to dyno my truck with the 93 octane tune. In stock form Livernois says the 93 octane tune will give 69rwhp and 88rwtq with a peak of 104rwhp and 114rwtq.
If you call Livernois, ask for Rick Leblanc.

Cheers!

Last edited by SpeedofSound; 06-05-2012 at 10:34 PM.
Old 06-05-2012, 11:04 PM
You will like the CAI , it looks awesome and sounds great. It is the only mod I have done so far , but that will change very soon. Where bouts do ya live at Speed ? I am in north La

Old 06-05-2012, 11:12 PM
You will like the CAI , it looks awesome and sounds great. It is the only mod I have done so far , but that will change very soon. Where bouts do ya live at Speed ? I am in north La
Right on...I am looking forward to the CAI for sure. I think it is the perfect addition to my current mods. There has been a lot of testing and research done on it by AFE and the tests show it far superior that any other CAI for our ecoboost trucks. I also have a few customers and friends who have it on their ecoboosts and they rave about it and have nothing but good things to say. It took me a bit to get my hands on one though because I placed my order late and they have been on back order for a while. I know Jason Bruce and Scott Bennett who work at AFE though and I got a good deal on it.
I live in South Texas, about 30 miles outside of Corpus, toward Robstown.

Cheers!

Old 06-05-2012, 11:22 PM
Good deal ! I ordered my CAI from puredieselperformance.com and got it 3-4 days

Old 06-05-2012, 11:23 PM
Do ya know what kind of foot print does it leave on the ECM ? Does it show what was done to the ecm or just that the ECM has been flashed ?

Old 06-05-2012, 11:26 PM
Originally Posted by MGDfan
^^^ X2 ^^^

R U guys Nuts???

Never, EVER run a generic, canned tune on a highly refined, boosted platform.

It's either going to be so conservative not to notice, or Dangerous.

This is a Great drivetrain - it At Least deserves proper, comprehensive fully customized calibrations - with datalogging (or on a dyno) - with full instrumentation - A/F's boost, EGT's etc), by an Experienced, competent Expert fully conversant in the specific platform, to deliver Sustainable and Safe gains.

OR - leave well enough alone. It's not exactly slow out of the box.

MGD
Exactly my friend! I am very surprised how SC can even sell their canned tunes for our trucks, or any vehicle for that matter. I have been a SCT tuner for about 10 years now, and am a firm believer in custom tunes designed and tested for specific applications according to specific mods. A tune should be built by using data logging and dyno'ing to make sure the tune is spot on, especially on any boosted motor, ours more specifically.

Cheers!

Old 06-05-2012, 11:39 PM
Do ya know what kind of foot print does it leave on the ECM ? Does it show what was done to the ecm or just that the ECM has been flashed ?
This subject is one that is debated quite often. Fact is that some dealers claim that they can see if the computer has been flashed and others claim that you can't. I am a Ford master tech and have used Ford IDS/VCM software personally. I could not see where they could tell the vehicle had been flashed. There is supposed to be a way Ford can tell how many times a computer has been flashed, but that is only true if a campaign is opened on the vehicle due to nature of the fix or if modification questions arise, and a Ford Warranty agent and corporate tech are dispatched to the claim to inspect the vehicle. What it all boils down to is, It all depends on the dealership. As long as you are up front and honest with your dealer and you give them no reason to raise a flag, then you are fine. I am fortunate in that I have always had a good relationship with the Ford dealers, even if I was not working for them, and I have gotten some stuff covered that should not have been. For instance, I blew the trans on my 03 Mach while at the track spraying nitrous. A few Ford techs from the local dealer were even there and saw me do it. My Mach was still under warranty and I got my trans covered. I even got it covered with my race helmet in my pass seat, my nitrous bottle in the trunk, slicks on the back and race number on my windshield.

Cheers!

Last edited by SpeedofSound; 06-05-2012 at 11:44 PM.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:25 AM
Nice ! Did you install gauges or is the a monitor to watch over things boost/egt's ?

Old 06-06-2012, 01:59 PM
Nice ! Did you install gauges or is the a monitor to watch over things boost/egt's ?
I have lots of different programming/flashing, scanning and engine management software for everything from data logging and engine monitoring to writing tunes and flashing tunes and chips....all for many different make vehicles. I can monitor every single parameter of pretty much any American vehicle. I also have my own dyno software too.
As for gauges in the truck, I will make a statement about gauges on a vehicle with basic mods that many may try to refute, but the truly experienced will agree with me. There is no need to have aftermarket gauges. I have already monitored everything when it was tuned. Once the tune is right on, there should no longer be a need to monitor anything. Gauges are purely aesthetic on vehicles that have basic or very minimal mods. The mods that are done to my truck are almost not even worthy of being called mods. Tune, CAI and exhaust. In the actual true "mod" world, they are the most basic mods. Pretty much, what people don't realize is, once a gauge responds to show you something is wrong, the problem has already happened and the damage is already done. There should be no need to have to watch anything except the road and enjoy driving it. The ECM is fast enough and sophisticated enough to throw a check engine light if something goes wrong.

Cheers!

Old 06-06-2012, 03:10 PM
I agree ! Just wanted some input

Quick Reply: tuner for 2012 ecoboost