F150online Forums

F150online Forums (https://www.f150online.com/forums/)
-   Chips, Tuners & Programming (https://www.f150online.com/forums/chips-tuners-programming-34/)
-   -   tuner for 2012 ecoboost (https://www.f150online.com/forums/chips-tuners-programming/465436-tuner-2012-ecoboost.html)

mills538 02-08-2012 11:00 AM

tuner for 2012 ecoboost

I just sold my 2010 f 250 and it had a tuner on it. I would like to get one for my new f150 ecoboost. I there a company that makes a tuner for these trucks? I there a company that I should stay away from.

glc 02-08-2012 02:30 PM

Before you get a programmer for an Ecoboost, you should discuss this with your dealer. Ford is trying to put a lid on that, and you may void your warranty.

Ford has also heavily encrypted the PCM, and I don't know if there are really any viable programmers for it yet.

You may ask - how are they going to know if you return it to stock before taking it in for service? Their equipment can tell if a programmer has EVER been connected and used.

mills538 02-08-2012 03:28 PM

I will make sure and do that.On my diesel I had a spartan tuner that saved the stock info. When i took it in for service I would load the stock tune and they could not tell.

openclasspro#11 02-08-2012 03:51 PM

Mike@ 5 star tuning

AJUSA.com 02-08-2012 04:15 PM

Superchips just came out with a new tuner for the ecoboost!

fletch74 02-08-2012 04:35 PM

Before you do anything, do your homework first. There are a couple companies now making tuners for the ecoboost. Do a search on this forum and other forums. IMHO I would not buy any canned tuner and would hold off for a custom tune. There are good custom tuners working on this right now.Mike at 5star is one of them and unlike buying a canned tuner there names go along with the tune so its not just a mass produced tuner it comes with a name and reputation!

glc 02-08-2012 05:03 PM

On my diesel I had a spartan tuner that saved the stock info. When i took it in for service I would load the stock tune and they could not tell.
They CAN tell now.

Kayslay 02-13-2012 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by glc (Post 4775454)
They CAN tell now.

glc I think you are right that yes, now they are able to know if the pcm as been messed with by programmers/chips, but do you know when (what year/model truck) were they first able to tell?

i have an '07 5.4 custom tuned with a predator and I was told that if I turn back to stock, there is no way to tell on my truck that a tune was ever loaded.

my dad got an '11 5.0 and is interested in tune/programmer; are 2011's same as 2012s as far as being able to know if PCM has been tweaked

shotgunz 02-13-2012 06:12 AM

If Ford wants to find out (i.e. major warranty claim for an engine), they can tell if you flashed your 2007 PCM. If the most recent flash isn't listed in the Oasis report (performed by the dealer as part of their service, TSB, or other warranty work), then Ford has grounds to deny the claim.

Please remember that if Ford denies the claim, it doesn't matter what your dealer's service manager says. Warranty claims are paid for by Ford and executed by the dealer.

Dtm030 02-13-2012 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by glc (Post 4775454)
They CAN tell now.

How do you know this?

Everyone said that with my 2008 250 and it wasn't true if you had a good programmer like my spartan or KEM. If you had a regular chip it would show up with their name. With a better programmer, nothing would show up at all.

DiabloMike 02-13-2012 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by shotgunz (Post 4778555)
If Ford wants to find out (i.e. major warranty claim for an engine), they can tell if you flashed your 2007 PCM. If the most recent flash isn't listed in the Oasis report (performed by the dealer as part of their service, TSB, or other warranty work), then Ford has grounds to deny the claim.

Please remember that if Ford denies the claim, it doesn't matter what your dealer's service manager says. Warranty claims are paid for by Ford and executed by the dealer.

I am NOT going to make any statements regarding anyone else's tuners, but this is absolutely not the case with our products.

When you say 'most recent flash', are you referring to the strategy or calid?
If so, how would a tune affect that?
If you are using a tuner that changes your calid when you flash your vehicle, you are asking for trouble. The right way to do things is to read the stock tune out of the vehicle, apply the changes to that stock file, and write it back. This way, only calibration data has changed, and there is NOTHING a dealership can see that would prove it had been tuned. If the stock tune was not restored, they'd have to read the PCM out with some tool (that dealers do not have) then send that read off to Dearborn to be compared in HEX to a known stock file, to see if there are any changes present.
If the truck had been previously returned to stock, there is NO way for anyone to tell it had been tuned. Period.

Originally Posted by 88racing (Post 4778621)
ford has been able to tell if the vehicle has been tuned for a long time now.....the 97-03+04h took a lot of time to find out.....the 04-08 took less time to find out....both of these required someone who was affluent in the pcm programming language.....

starting in 09 the pcm access changed and requires a log in....now with a failed log in, which a programmer does when the pcm is flashed any tech can see if its been programmed with the failed log in present.....

Again, I strongly disagree with what you are saying here. if this were the case, we'd have many customers with warranty issues after using our tuners, and that is simply not the case.

Also, why do you assume that a programmer is failing a log in? It sounds like you guys might be using some hackish tuners. Might be a good idea to look into how our tools work, and not throw the blanket statement out there that tuners will cause warranty issues, especially if you haven't spent any time on this side of the fence dealing with the actual PCMs.

Originally Posted by Dtm030 (Post 4778629)
How do you know this?

+1....

Where does this info come from?

shotgunz 02-13-2012 11:55 AM

Mike,
Who said anything about warranty claims? All we're saying is Ford 1) could determine if your vehicle had been flashed and 2) could deny the warranty claim IF it was engine related.

You're assuming that owners with tuners
1) have experienced engine related failures
2) the failures could have been related to tuners
3) Ford investigated the cause of the failure

DiabloMike 02-13-2012 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by shotgunz (Post 4778757)
Mike,
Who said anything about warranty claims? All we're saying is Ford 1) could determine if your vehicle had been flashed and 2) could deny the warranty claim IF it was engine related.

You're assuming that owners with tuners
1) have experienced engine related failures
2) the failures could have been related to tuners
3) Ford investigated the cause of the failure

I'm not assuming anything...

I am saying that the info you are presenting is not correct in regards to our tuning products. There is no way for anyone to prove that you used one of our flash tuners on your PCM once it has been returned to stock.

Originally Posted by 88racing (Post 4778762)
I don't use hackish tuners.....

after 09+ any changes in the pcm require a validation log in....changes can be made with out the log in but the session is flagged as unauthorized....to my knowledge programmers do not log into the pcm when programming .....

you have the resources, go get a new truck program it and then put it back to stock, then bring it to a skilled tech and they will verify this info....

We have all the same tools a tech has at the dealership, and then some. We would never release anything that left a big red flag saying "I have been tuned".

I didn't mean to attack your tuner of choice, but I'm getting the impression that this info may be coming from that direction? If no, please let me know.

It should be noted that not all tuners work the same way, so blanket statements should not be made regarding how they work. If you have specific info regarding how a specific programmer works, that should be clarified.

Thanks

Bluejay 02-13-2012 12:19 PM

I have been told that they can tell if a PCM has been accessed. The word was, there is a footprint left and that Ford was going to be aggressive about denying warranty claims if that footprint was there. This came from a service manager at a dealer, not a tuner.

shotgunz 02-13-2012 12:28 PM

Mike,
Sounds to me like Diablo should 1) market their units as the only one capable of remaining undetected and/or 2) pay for any engine/transmission/drivetrain warranty work denied by Ford as 'a result of improper modifications'.

Ya'll could make millions.