Edge diagnostics says fuel temp sender

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 09:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Edge diagnostics says fuel temp sender

When my check engine light came on this evening I used the Edge programmer to check diagnostics. It told me Fuel Temp. sender 1 unit low. Could anyone tell me what this means ? everything appears to be running as ushual. any help ?

Old 08-30-2011, 04:02 AM
glc
Received 769 Likes on 710 Posts
What is the exact "P" code?

Old 08-30-2011, 03:47 PM
P code

It was P0182

Old 08-31-2011, 01:01 AM
glc
You probably need to replace the fuel temperature sender on the fuel rail. Other possible causes are a tank of bad gas or a fouled MAF.

Old 08-31-2011, 03:34 PM
Thank you for your help once again. I would rule out bad gas. its run its life as I know it on premium. I will look into your other suggestions asap. J.B.

Old 08-31-2011, 04:10 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
Jon, "premium" gas is not really "better" gas. It just has improved anti-knock properties (which, ironically, can make the engine harder to start in very cold climates).

You can still get a bad tank of gas - it might contain water or dirt. It all depends on the condition of the tank it's been stored in.

However, I would suspect the temperature sender might be the culprit too, especially since you say the truck is not having any other symptoms.

- Jack

Old 08-31-2011, 08:26 PM
Thank you for responding as well. Yes I am aware of the anti knock properties. I was just trying to make the point that I dont run on the cheapest stuff I can find. I buy my fuel from a limited number of stations. I havent had a fuel related problem in over 20 years. But that doesnt rule it out . If it was fuel related , would the idiot light shut itself off with the consumption of a tankful or so of gas ?

Old 08-31-2011, 08:55 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Jon Bourget
Thank you for responding as well. Yes I am aware of the anti knock properties. I was just trying to make the point that I dont run on the cheapest stuff I can find. I buy my fuel from a limited number of stations. I havent had a fuel related problem in over 20 years. But that doesnt rule it out . If it was fuel related , would the idiot light shut itself off with the consumption of a tankful or so of gas ?
I don't know if it would clear itself or not. But again, I really don't think the problem is caused by your gas, I was just making a point about "premium" that some people misunderstand. And, stations with older storage tanks, as well a ones that don't do a "brisk" business in fuel sell premium too.

On our last trip, we stopped at a station I normally use in Hatch, NM for gas. The fuel delivery was slow, so, I quit putting gas in after about 1/2 gallon and went to another station were the flow was normal. I suspect the first station had clogged filters.

You could always clear the code with the Edge and see if it comes back.

- Jack

Old 09-03-2011, 07:33 AM
Well the idiot light did shut off, I cleared the code on the edge. Ill keep an eye on things. It still appears to be running fine. I was running on or about near empty before the light came on. Damn truck is always so thirsty. Its time to refill with the go go juice once again. Ill keep my fingers crossed. thanks to all.

Old 09-03-2011, 01:08 PM
glc
I was running on or about near empty before the light came on.
Better change your fuel filter, and it wouldn't hurt to throw a bottle of Techron in the tank. Also, it's not a good idea running these things that near empty, the fuel pump relies on being immersed in fuel for cooling.

Old 09-04-2011, 08:19 AM
Yes it is time to do the fuel filter again. Yeah I ushually dont let it get that low, but I wanted to get to work on time. Without an added stop at the gas station, or pushing my luck with driving over the limit.

Quick Reply: Edge diagnostics says fuel temp sender