Edge Evo ????

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 05:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Edge Evo ????

I've been using an Edge Evo in my 05 F-150 sense I bought the truck. It has served me well and will continue to do so.

I recently bought my wife a 09 Explorer Eddie Bauer 4x4 4.0 V6. We are planing a 3500 mile road trip soon.

Here is my question...

Can I use the Edge as a scan gauge in the Explorer to monitor the engine and tranny during the trip????

Old 08-28-2011, 07:30 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by 4df150
I've been using an Edge Evo in my 05 F-150 sense I bought the truck. It has served me well and will continue to do so.

I recently bought my wife a 09 Explorer Eddie Bauer 4x4 4.0 V6. We are planing a 3500 mile road trip soon.

Here is my question...

Can I use the Edge as a scan gauge in the Explorer to monitor the engine and tranny during the trip????
I doubt it, but I don't think it will hurt to try. Set your truck back to stock before removing the Edge. Turn the ignition key on in the Expy and then plug the Edge in. If it boots, you should be able to use it. I suspect it will not boot, because it won't recognize the stock tune in the Expy.

- Jack

Old 09-03-2011, 11:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You would have to get the programmer retuned for a different vehicle. Different VIN #'s in the vehicles.

Old 09-04-2011, 10:57 AM
Global Moderator &

Originally Posted by Doinwrkinthedrt
You would have to get the programmer retuned for a different vehicle. Different VIN #'s in the vehicles.
Doinwrkinthedrt, what you said MAY confuse some people, so I'm going to try to clarify. Since he doesn't have custom tunes, the programmer should work in a variety of F150s in the 04-08 model year range. They would all have different VINs and, of course, different hex/calibration codes for the software in the PCM. (The programmer really doesn't use VIN information at all, it just has to recognize the stock tune ID, which is the hex/calibration code.)

But, an Expy is programmed with a completely different stock tune than an F150, even though the engine and PCM are identical "hardware". So, the programmer would probably report something to the effect of "The calibration is not supported".

But yes, if the firmware in the programmer is updated with the hex/calibration code that the Expy has, then it should work just fine. A tuner such as Bill Cohron at PHP could do this, and probably Edge could too. Both would charge a reasonable fee for this service.

- Jack

Old 09-04-2011, 11:43 AM
glc
Received 769 Likes on 710 Posts
The OP is not asking if he can use it to tune the Expy - he just wants to use the gauges.

Old 09-04-2011, 04:21 PM
Global Moderator &

Originally Posted by glc
The OP is not asking if he can use it to tune the Expy - he just wants to use the gauges.
Glc, I'm not sure you directed that at me or not, but I don't think the Evolution will even boot if it can't recognize the hex/calibration. That would keep it from functioning as a "ScanGauge".

Probably, 4df150 needs to give it a try as I suggested in my first post and then he could report back on what happens.

- Jack

Quick Reply: Edge Evo ????