question to PHP about Gryphon

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 10:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
just read this but i have an SCT tuner which is not actually connected to the vehicle while the tune is already loaded. would jump starting be a bad idea for me too? just wondering thanks. not trying to hijack

Old 08-28-2011, 09:27 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
No, since it is physically separate from the vehicle, it can come to no harm.

But if you "jump start" anyone, you should do it this way:
Connect the jumper cables properly, then start your engine and let it run for maybe 5 minutes to "charge" the dead vehicle's battery a bit.

Then, and this is important, to protect you vehicle's electronics: Turn YOUR ignition off so that your electrical system is reasonably isolated from the other vehicle - do NOT leave your engine running or your ignition on.

After the other vehicle starts, you can remove the jumper cables.
- Jack

Old 08-28-2011, 05:41 PM
cool thanks for the info. i remember my dad trying to jumpstart my brother's 93 lumina with his 86 chevy c10(which he later gave me). my brother told him that there was a jumper cable point where you attach one of the cable but it wasnt on the battery....so after about 3 seconds of my dad's truck sparking like crazy, he just hooked it up to the battery and guss what...? it worked! lol. its ok tho....this was my same brother who told me his alternator was leaking lol

Old 08-28-2011, 07:27 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by timmypstyle
cool thanks for the info. i remember my dad trying to jumpstart my brother's 93 lumina with his 86 chevy c10(which he later gave me). my brother told him that there was a jumper cable point where you attach one of the cable but it wasnt on the battery....so after about 3 seconds of my dad's truck sparking like crazy, he just hooked it up to the battery and guss what...? it worked! lol. its ok tho....this was my same brother who told me his alternator was leaking lol
Yes, I always try to find somewhere on the disabled vehicle to make the last connection with the ground cable, but I rarely succeed in locating one. Most of the vehicles I've jumped have such a "corroded" engine compartment, there's no chance of getting a good electrical connection anywhere. I always think it's a wonder that their rides even run.

I usually end up making both connections to the bad battery too. And, I just hope it won't blow up when I do it. At least, since I wear glasses, my eyes are somewhat protected.

- Jack

Old 08-29-2011, 06:40 AM
his wasnt bad, he just had a bad alternator. his first battery was discharged but since the alternator didnt work, it wouldnt hold the charge. so after putting 2 new batteries in it, he decided to look for something else wrong with it. which is when he found that his "alternator was leaking"...which was just coolant leaking onto the belt in a hidden area but being slung off the belt around the alternator so he was arguing with me that his alternator was leaking after i told him it was impossible for his alternator to leak. that was 9 years ago and he knows now that alternators cant leak...but he still doesnt know much at 28yrs old, and im 26 and im gonna teach him how to change his own oil soon lol. and its funny because my sister in law thinks she knows everything about cars since she was an assistant salesperson at a dealership. so when i told her i got motorcraft oil and filter for my brother's 03 f150, she was telling me it would void the warranty....which that truck hasnt had for a few years now...yeah...got a long road ahead of me trying to get her to accept she doesnt know much and to teach my brother a few things. lol im no mechanic myself...just know how to do a little more than the basics pretty much.

Last edited by timmypstyle; 08-29-2011 at 06:46 AM.

Quick Reply: question to PHP about Gryphon