Need Aadvice on Gryphon Programmer.

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 11:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Aadvice on Gryphon Programmer.

Alot of you guys have either the Edge Evo. or the Gryphon Programmer and I would like some feedback. Ive heard both good things and bad. In you guys , who have one, opinions is it worth it? Hows the ease of operation and ease of installation? My major fear is installing it and wiping out my entire computer. Should I even be worried about that. Ive heard horror stories of guys transmissions ceasing to work upon installation of a programmer and that concerns me......I would like to think its as easy as plugging it in turning the truck on and setting it and maybe it is but I want to know from guys who've done it. Is it really as easy as the installation videos show.. Also do they come with pretty detailed instructions on installation and operation. In short should I park in a dealers lot when installing so if my PC needs reflashing Im already there? Thanks

Old 05-07-2011, 10:27 AM
Go for the gryphon. It is easy to install and wont shut everything down just by plugging it in. I've been using mine for over 2 years without any trouble.

The gryphons come with good directions as well as there being much more detailed info on the PHP forum.

If your battery is healthy then you wont have any trouble. I have reprogrammed my truck over a dozen times over the last couple of years and have yet to have any trouble that couldn't be fixed with a phone call to PHP.

Old 05-07-2011, 10:32 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Yes, it is just that easy. I have had mine over 3 years and about 95,000 miles. Best thing I have done to my truck. As stated above, the only concern is to make sure the battery is strong so there is no interruption with downloading. I could not do without the gauges on my Gryphon.

Last edited by Bluejay; 05-08-2011 at 10:32 AM.
Old 05-08-2011, 04:22 AM
Go for the Gryphon, it was the best upgrade I added to my 07. I'm confident you'll be pleased with this addition.

Old 05-08-2011, 08:14 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
It's as easy as the videos show it to be......

The tuner doesn't take out the tranny.....the tranny if its going to go will take itself out....

Old 05-09-2011, 11:01 AM
So I have an '04 5.4 3v w/ 127000 miles....I have been looking at the Gryphon and kind of want to purchase today....think i should?

Old 05-09-2011, 11:18 AM
Originally Posted by iHellFire
So I have an '04 5.4 3v w/ 127000 miles....I have been looking at the Gryphon and kind of want to purchase today....think i should?
I added one to my truck with 100k miles on it...it really woke it up and I have zero regrets...(only regret was not buying it sooner). I will caution you on one thing....When ordering from PHP you need to understand that it is a small family owned business. It might take longer than expected to recieve your order. It might be hard to get into contact with somone at PHP (depends on when you call)...Understanding these things up front will help your experenice with PHP. I had no clue about these things when I ordered and started getting worked up when my package didn't show up in 5 days. I would join the fourm before you order so you can talk to some of the experts on the site. I hope this helps...Enjoy your gryphon

Old 05-09-2011, 11:20 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
I turned over 126,000 last night. I have had the tuner since about 31,000 miles. I could not be happy with my truck without the tuner. The downshifting improvements alone make it worth the money.

When I had a dirty throttle body that casued my enging to die, the tuner read the codes and helped me diagnose the problem correctly.

Old 05-09-2011, 11:41 AM
Ok thanks guys...I am a member on Power hungry forums already and they have given me some great advice...and the fact that they are a small family owned business makes it even better in my opinion.....i was thinking about get the 87 tow and 87 performance calibrations with my purchase...are those considered custom tunes?

Old 05-09-2011, 12:54 PM
I'm pretty sure the 87 (octane) performance is a custom program - at least it is on the Edge Evo. I've been running the EDGE on my 06 5.4 with great results. Until gas got so expensive I was running the stock 91 performance tune and it's like driving an entirely different truck! Even the stock 87 tow really wakes up the sluggish 5.4. Best mod I've done to my truck.

Honestly I've wanted to upgrade to the Gryphon - at one time PHP had a trade in- trade up deal going with the Edge EVO. And I wanted to get a 87 performance custom tune - need it now more than ever before --- but each time I inquired, directly to PHP or on their forum, about the length of time involved I've never got an answer! I know they're small and they went thru some family and health issues but I expect some level of customer service. I've sorta given up on the trade in and have just kept my EDGE.

But don't hesitate on a programmer, getting one is a no brainer!

Old 05-09-2011, 01:06 PM
You know I have heard alot of people saying how bada$$ the 87 tow is.....so i definately think im going to do both 87 performance and 87 tow. Thanks for the advice lariat....just wondering if those were custom tunes or if that means something else..

Old 05-09-2011, 01:08 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Smokin Lariat
I'm pretty sure the 87 (octane) performance is a custom program - at least it is on the Edge Evo. I've been running the EDGE on my 06 5.4 with great results. Until gas got so expensive I was running the stock 91 performance tune and it's like driving an entirely different truck! Even the stock 87 tow really wakes up the sluggish 5.4. Best mod I've done to my truck.

Honestly I've wanted to upgrade to the Gryphon - at one time PHP had a trade in- trade up deal going with the Edge EVO. And I wanted to get a 87 performance custom tune - need it now more than ever before --- but each time I inquired, directly to PHP or on their forum, about the length of time involved I've never got an answer! I know they're small and they went thru some family and health issues but I expect some level of customer service. I've sorta given up on the trade in and have just kept my EDGE.

But don't hesitate on a programmer, getting one is a no brainer!
Sorry bud....only PHP can make the call on how long the upgrade is going to take....us mods over there just gave up on quoting times....

Old 05-09-2011, 01:12 PM
so 88racing, since your a mod on PHP....since im a newb @ programmers should i go ahead a get one...i don't know much but im a member on PHP forums and just wondering if its pretty easy with the instructions.

Old 05-09-2011, 01:18 PM
I set myself up with a gryphon last month. Like the other responses you received, Its the best mod I've done.

I also just received my custom tunes 2 weeks ago. The 87 performance and the 87 tow. I haven't tried the tow tune yet but the performance tune is awsome. There are some changes that I made to it, like shift firmness and shift points which you can do once you get hooked up with the custom tunes. As far as getting intouch with PHP on the phone or forum, If I have a question that I think needs to be answered soon, I just call usually around 10:00 am. Seems to work the bset for me.

Good Luck with it and let us know what you do.

Old 05-09-2011, 01:22 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
so 88racing, since your a mod on PHP....since im a newb @ programmers should i go ahead a get one...i don't know much but im a member on PHP forums and just wondering if its pretty easy with the instructions.
It's very easy to set up. I keep telling people a 2nd grader could do it. (You'd need to be in 2nd grade to read the instructions - if someone showed you what to do, you could be in kindergarten.)

- Jack

Quick Reply: Need Aadvice on Gryphon Programmer.