Dealer reflashed my PCM

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 06:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dealer reflashed my PCM

OK, I had my K&N CAI uninstalled at the dealer the other day. I told them to unplug the negative terminal on the battery, but they instead I think reflashed or reprogrammed my pcm because when they were done and when I left the lot my MPG was reset, but my radio settings where still how I had them. Would I still have to unplug my battery to reset my computer so it knows I have my factory intake installed or what dealer did works just as good?

I ask this because I can't open my hood due to 3 inches on ice covering my truck.

Also, would this be a problem for the CTS? It hasn't arrived yet so I haven't installed any tunes and I haven't given PHP my hex code yet for my custom tune. I know in the future I am not to allow the dealer to reflash my computer when I have a tune installed.

Thanks

Old 03-10-2011, 07:07 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by drewsbu
OK, I had my K&N CAI uninstalled at the dealer the other day. I told them to unplug the negative terminal on the battery, but they instead I think reflashed or reprogrammed my pcm because when they were done and when I left the lot my MPG was reset, but my radio settings where still how I had them. Would I still have to unplug my battery to reset my computer so it knows I have my factory intake installed or what dealer did works just as good?

I ask this because I can't open my hood due to 3 inches on ice covering my truck.

Also, would this be a problem for the CTS? It hasn't arrived yet so I haven't installed any tunes and I haven't given PHP my hex code yet for my custom tune. I know in the future I am not to allow the dealer to reflash my computer when I have a tune installed.

Thanks
A reflash resets the KAM & clears adaptive - same as a disconnect.

BTW - the idea of the PCM relearning - this occurs during normal driving all the time - so a disconnect, while faster, is not strictly necessary. It will eventually learn - all by itself.

As long as yer CTS is still canned you should be okay. The only tiime you may not be, is if the specific calibration the dealer flashed to is not in Edgee's canned calibration DB.

Read the calibration and contact Edge or PHP to confirm.

MGD

Old 03-10-2011, 07:59 AM
Originally Posted by MGDfan
A reflash resets the KAM & clears adaptive - same as a disconnect.

BTW - the idea of the PCM relearning - this occurs during normal driving all the time - so a disconnect, while faster, is not strictly necessary. It will eventually learn - all by itself.

As long as yer CTS is still canned you should be okay. The only tiime you may not be, is if the specific calibration the dealer flashed to is not in Edgee's canned calibration DB.

Read the calibration and contact Edge or PHP to confirm.

MGD
I don't even have my CTS yet. I ordered it from PHP and it should be arriving sometime this week. I think I should be fine then.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:41 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
You'll be ok.....you haven't given PHP your hex code yet.....

Old 03-29-2011, 06:51 AM
I was also thinking about getting a SCTX3 from VMP and on their order form they want your computer code. Is your hex code the same code that VMP tuning needs when they ask for the Computer Code or Strategy? They say you can find this code on a sticker on the passenger side door jamb? Since my truck was probably refashed would or could that code have changed?

Old 03-29-2011, 08:44 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
I have never heard of the code being on the door. It can be on the PCM, on a card in your manual or there is a label on the Body Control Module which is located on the back wall, behind the top of the rear seat. Yes, if they reflashed it, the HEX code would change.

Old 03-29-2011, 08:54 AM
Originally Posted by Bluejay
I have never heard of the code being on the door. It can be on the PCM, on a card in your manual or there is a label on the Body Control Module which is located on the back wall, behind the top of the rear seat. Yes, if they reflashed it, the HEX code would change.

Crap, not good.

I was just going by VMP's website to where you can find the number.

Thanks Bluejay

Old 03-29-2011, 11:16 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
You MAY have been confusing "computer code" with "box code", and I know some tuners use that to write tunes. The box code is on a label on the PCM itself and really indicates the hardware composition of the PCM, not the underlying firmware that represents the actual calibration being used.

As such, a vehicle that is tuned using the box code is getting not much more than a generic "canned" tune. It should be better than stock, but there's still "slop". You can only get the calibration code (also called "hex" code) through the use of a code reading device that plugs into your OBDII port. Programmers have that capability.

- Jack

Old 03-29-2011, 02:48 PM
Originally Posted by JackandJanet
You MAY have been confusing "computer code" with "box code", and I know some tuners use that to write tunes. The box code is on a label on the PCM itself and really indicates the hardware composition of the PCM, not the underlying firmware that represents the actual calibration being used.

As such, a vehicle that is tuned using the box code is getting not much more than a generic "canned" tune. It should be better than stock, but there's still "slop". You can only get the calibration code (also called "hex" code) through the use of a code reading device that plugs into your OBDII port. Programmers have that capability.

- Jack
From VMP's website:

Computer Code Location

The "Computer Code" or "Catch Code" identifys the program that is in your vehicle's computer. When we custom program an SCT X-Cal2 9400 or Custom Livewire tuning device for your vehicle the code is required. This code is 4 letters and numbers long.

If you can not find the code go ahead and place the order, we will contact you if we need additional information.

On 2004 and older vehicles the code can be found on a small white sticker on the passenger side door jamb or door. If this sticker is worn off you will need to look on the computer itself. On Mustangs the computer can be found behind the passenger side kick panel. On trucks the computer can be found going through the firewall. On large cars the computer can be found under the drivers side dash.

On 2005 and newer vehicles the code can be found on a small white sticker placed on the computer itself. On cars the computer is often on the passenger side front of the engine bay, on gas trucks it is on the firewall.

The code is not part of a long part number, it will be by itself, usually in large letters. An example code is ABC1.

It is possible to find the computer code by plugging a flash tuner into the OBD2 port. When you read the code out through the OBD2 port it is called the strategy, using this method the code is 7 letters and numbers long. If you are using a newer X-Cal2 the "Read Strategy" option will be under the "Vehicle Info" menu, on an older X-Cal2 it will be under the "DTC/Data" menu.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

So basically its the hex code? Sorry for all the questions haha. These damn cars, chips, programmers are very confusing and I am trying to understand and learn.

Old 03-29-2011, 07:25 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
Nice post, Drewsbu, and I completely understand your confusion. I would be too, in your shoes. VMP is referring to the "box code" as the "Computer Code" or "Catch Code". I knew Justin would write programs using that, but I didn't think he did it that way routinely.

The "hex code" or "calibration code" is what VMP is calling the "Strategy". It is an identifying name for the actual program that is stored in the PCM. A tuner uses that base program as a stepping off (or baseline) set of values when he writes a custom tune. Portions of that program are not touched at all. Others are modified to give you an improved driving experience.

I still stand by my statement that using the box code produces a more "generic" custom program.

- Jack

Old 03-29-2011, 07:51 PM
Originally Posted by JackandJanet
Nice post, Drewsbu, and I completely understand your confusion. I would be too, in your shoes. VMP is referring to the "box code" as the "Computer Code" or "Catch Code". I knew Justin would write programs using that, but I didn't think he did it that way routinely.

The "hex code" or "calibration code" is what VMP is calling the "Strategy". It is an identifying name for the actual program that is stored in the PCM. A tuner uses that base program as a stepping off (or baseline) set of values when he writes a custom tune. Portions of that program are not touched at all. Others are modified to give you an improved driving experience.

I still stand by my statement that using the box code produces a more "generic" custom program.

- Jack

Thank you so much, now I know!

Also, Autoanything sold me the CTS unit with pod and cts clip for $572.10, couldn't pass up on that deal, now just gotta get my 87 performance tune from php and I am set. I just hope my wife doesn't ask questions about it, lol. I guess I can always tell her it has always been a part of the truck and that she just never noticed, haha. Keep an eye on the obits.

Last edited by drewsbu; 03-29-2011 at 07:59 PM.

Quick Reply: Dealer reflashed my PCM