Got my new Gryphon...

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 07:56 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by JackandJanet
Very good 88! You're much more "attuned" to that hex problem than I am. (I'd kind of forgotten all about it.) :o

As 88 said, Blackfin - DO try to talk to Bill. They have an online "chat" that many people have used with success if you can't get him by phone. (Did I already tell you that?)

- Jack
No problemo!

Old 02-02-2011, 08:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 88racing
Bingo....

What I'd do...

Process of elimination.....
Try level 1 tranny only
If you can afford it try level 3 93 performance

But above everything else contact PHP ASAP....
Preferably by phone and talk to Bill directly...keep on trying till you talk to him.....
Also fill out a support ticket and be detailed and specific.

Comprende?
Comprende.

I'll try the other tunes next, then go back stock, see what happens, while I'm trying to get Bill.

I work at a Ford store; any point in getting a PCM update/reflash? My svc mgr will do it for little $$.

thank you!!

Randy

Old 02-03-2011, 10:44 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by 38Blackfin
Comprende.

I'll try the other tunes next, then go back stock, see what happens, while I'm trying to get Bill.

I work at a Ford store; any point in getting a PCM update/reflash? My svc mgr will do it for little $$.

thank you!!

Randy
Randy, the PCM update MAY help things, but your programming will still be in the RXDG family. However, if you can get a "deal" on it, I'd do it. You definitely don't want to have the truck reflashed AFTER you get custom tunes, because that will make those tunes invalid and you'll have to pay to have them rewritten. So, do it now rather than later.

- Jack

Old 02-03-2011, 12:01 PM
Randy, the PCM update MAY help things, but your programming will still be in the RXDG family. However, if you can get a "deal" on it, I'd do it. You definitely don't want to have the truck reflashed AFTER you get custom tunes, because that will make those tunes invalid and you'll have to pay to have them rewritten. So, do it now rather than later.

- Jack
Great, thanks.

I have put in a service ticket at PHP, in fact Cody has already responded. If I understand this correctly, I will put the truck back to stock tune, have the PCM updated, then let Cody/Bill know if the HEX code changes. Correct?

Don't mean to be a pain, but I want to make sure I'm going about this correctly.

thanks!!

Randy

Old 02-03-2011, 11:36 PM

Great, thanks.

I have put in a service ticket at PHP, in fact Cody has already responded. If I understand this correctly, I will put the truck back to stock tune, have the PCM updated, then let Cody/Bill know if the HEX code changes. Correct?

Don't mean to be a pain, but I want to make sure I'm going about this correctly.

thanks!!

Randy
You're on the right track!

Old 02-04-2011, 11:25 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
Yes, Randy, you're doing it right. Make sure PHP has your new hex code after you get the PCM flashed. You'll see it as soon as you plug the programmer into the OBD port, so be prepared to write it down.

- Jack

Old 02-04-2011, 12:32 PM
Yes, Randy, you're doing it right. Make sure PHP has your new hex code after you get the PCM flashed. You'll see it as soon as you plug the programmer into the OBD port, so be prepared to write it down.

- Jack
Thank you all for the great help, I'll keep you posted.

Randy

Old 02-13-2011, 09:02 PM
Update...

Two tanks on canned 87 tow, runs stronger, better throttle response, picked up prolly 1/2 mpg.

Back to stock today, low speed clunk gone.

Next week, new PCM flash, new plugs, clean TB and MAF. I'll prolly run a couple of tanks through just to see what that did, then back to 87 tow, then hopefully get my custom tunes in a couple of weeks.

thanks!

Randy

Old 02-13-2011, 11:18 PM
i have an RXDG hex and i'm running the canned 87 tow tune on the evolution. i don't really have any issues. i had an issue with it surging a little around 1200 RPM while driving under 40 and a really rough idle one time but both have gone away.

Old 03-28-2011, 03:15 PM
Got my tunes....

...took about 2-3 weeks, as advertised.

Two weeks on 87 Tow, stronger, better throttle response, all shifting and clunking concerns gone, and picked up .5 mpg to boot. Switched to 87 Perf yesterday, power feels about the same, shifts are smoother.

Mag SISO, Gotts, and Gryphon: changed the whole truck. Far more fun to drive and went from 15.5 mpg to 17.5 mpg. E-fans next.

thanks to all!

Randy

Old 03-28-2011, 03:38 PM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
Great to hear

Old 03-28-2011, 03:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thats awesome. i am still waiting to get mine back from being upgraded. It has been 3 weeks today. im hoping it gets done soon.

Old 03-28-2011, 05:48 PM

...took about 2-3 weeks, as advertised.

Two weeks on 87 Tow, stronger, better throttle response, all shifting and clunking concerns gone, and picked up .5 mpg to boot. Switched to 87 Perf yesterday, power feels about the same, shifts are smoother.

Mag SISO, Gotts, and Gryphon: changed the whole truck. Far more fun to drive and went from 15.5 mpg to 17.5 mpg. E-fans next.

thanks to all!

Randy
That's good to hear!

Quick Reply: Got my new Gryphon...