need last advice before ordering

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 01:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need last advice before ordering

Guys,

I've been getting contradicting advice from all sources regarding canned vs. custom tunes, whether being from forum members or the vendors themselves. I've done the research and read the sticky's, but am still torn b/w the need for canned vs. a custom tune.

I have no mods that "require" a custom tune but have heard that the 87 performance tune is definitely the way to go. However, the vendor I am purchasing from told me yesterday that I should not run a custom tune based on my vehicle mods and that canned will work by itself just fine. I may have misinterpreted this as "shouldn't" run a custom vs. don't necessarily need one, but I specifically remember the gentleman saying "just run a canned tune based on what you have".

I plan to place an order tonight for a Gryphon and am looking for last advice/opinions from anyone who is offering. 87 performance or canned for a 2006 F150 with minimal mods?

Old 06-03-2010, 01:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You've already decided to step up from a canned tuner (Edge) to a custom tuner, Gryphon. Yes, the canned tunes will be better than stock.

If you can afford it, I would recommend custom tunes.

They will squeeze every last bit of performance out of your engine (meaning hp and MPG).

Keep in mind you only need to order what you want. I.E., 87 performance and 87 tow (and keep the canned 91+ performance).

Help or more confusion?

Old 06-03-2010, 01:20 PM
Originally Posted by shotgunz
You've already decided to step up from a canned tuner (Edge) to a custom tuner, Gryphon. Yes, the canned tunes will be better than stock.

If you can afford it, I would recommend custom tunes.

They will squeeze every last bit of performance out of your engine (meaning hp and MPG).

Keep in mind you only need to order what you want. I.E., 87 performance and 87 tow (and keep the canned 91+ performance).

Help or more confusion?
Thanks. I need to go back and look but didn't see on the PHP order form where you specify exactly which canned tune you want. Isn't the canned tune standard for a '04 to '08? The only options I see on the form that I can choose from are regarding custom, such as "stock-tranny only" (don't know what that means) and then 87 -93 perf and 87 - 93 tow, etc. Have you seen the order form? What should I enter in the Level 1 through Level 3 fields?

Thanks so much for the help. Much appreciated.

Old 06-03-2010, 01:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've seen the order form (although it was a while ago).

Here's what I would do (provided you plan on towing/hauling more than 2500 lbs and need a tow tune):
Level 1 - Custom 87 performance (emphasis on hp or MPG? - your call, explain in the remarks section)
Level 2 - Custom 87 tow (how much weight and what do you tow - explain in the remarks section)
Level 3 - Canned 91 performance (you can still use it and it will give you more hp and TQ than the Custom 87 performance, but you won't use it enough to justify paying for it and you don't plan on using it or not very often)

Old 06-03-2010, 01:56 PM
I believe Shotgunz is explaining it perfectly to you, as does the sticky section... keep this in the back of your mind.... with the thought of cost as well.

Stock Tune - Clothing bought from Wal-mart... your not walking around naked, but your not nearly as comfortable as you could be. Cheap!

Canned Tune - You decided to hit up a specific clothing shop to meet your exact needs, your a hell of a lot more comfortable as the clothing fits better. Costs you a little more.

Custom Tune - You went to a tailor and had them fit a suit EXACTLY to your body and make it from scratch using your exact measurements.... Man, nothing has felt better, but you did have to fork over a good extra amount of cash.

Its all a matter of how badly you need that extra bit of performance, and if its worth the extra cash to you. I've heard a few people state that going from a Canned tune to a Custom tune was such a small difference and that they wouldn't have noticed the difference if they didn't know they had flashed the PCM to the custom tune, but that there was definitely a difference. You've got to ask yourself if paying that extra cash is going to give you large enough of an increase in performance and fuel efficiency as well as making you happy in what you FEEL from your truck to warrant getting it.

Me personally.... if I'm going to go through the trouble of flashing my truck I'd like to know I put the very best in there and not wonder "Could it be better"... if your not strapped for cash, stick with Shotgunz 2 custom tunes and 1 canned recommendation.

Last edited by Haemon; 06-03-2010 at 01:58 PM.
Old 06-03-2010, 06:45 PM
Thanks guys, that helps. So last question....does the "stock-tranny only" option mean I just want a canned tune?....or are there different options for the canned tunes as well? If I put Level 1: stock tranny only, Level 2: 87 performance, and Level 3: 87 tow, doest that mean I'm getting a programmer with a canned tune and 2 custom tunes?

Old 06-03-2010, 07:28 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by bigsur
Thanks guys, that helps. So last question....does the "stock-tranny only" option mean I just want a canned tune?....or are there different options for the canned tunes as well? If I put Level 1: stock tranny only, Level 2: 87 performance, and Level 3: 87 tow, doest that mean I'm getting a programmer with a canned tune and 2 custom tunes?
Yes, That's exactly how I'd see it. You'd be asking for custom tunes in the Level 2 and Level 3 positions.

If you want to stay with canned tunes for now, just leave the "drop down" boxes on the order form at their default state ("Stock") and put a note in comments that you will think about getting custom tunes at a later time.

- Jack

Trending Topics

Old 06-03-2010, 09:18 PM
Thanks for all the info. Much appreciated.

Old 06-04-2010, 12:28 AM
Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts
I am extremely pleased with my Superchips Flashpaq 1865 from Troyers, came with 4 tunes ....
87 octane,
91 octane,
heavy tow,
mileage xs.

No waiting, easy changing of tune, so simple, and free updates.

Also, now the tuner can handle two vehicles and has data logging capabilities as well as able to adjust shift points / hardness and set to tire diameter changes from stock.

Have ScanGaugeII for extra gauges like trans or cyl head temps or mileage figures or whatever.

Old 06-04-2010, 04:55 AM
i bet his vendor doesn't custom tune- hence the canned tunes being recommended...

Old 06-08-2010, 11:10 AM
Guys,

I have another question before I place my order if anyone is still willing to help. I wanted to post this in the PHP forums but am at work and can't remember my password.

I will be specifying my new tire size on the order form for my Gryphon. Will PHP set the unit to compensate for the new tire size or will I have to do it when I receive the unit? I've read a few threads about people having issues with this.

One of the main reasons I want to get the Gryphon is to ensure my factory digital readout for speed, odometer, and fuel economy is accurate considering I have put on slightly larger tires. I have been told that all of the above will be corrected with the install.....and not just the on the unit readout, but also the truck's digital readout as well. I'm hoping this is the case and getting everything set right isn't too complicated.

Any help is appreciated.

Old 06-08-2010, 12:34 PM
Technical Article Contributor

You need to let PHP know what size tire you are running since it may affect what Bill does with your custom tune. I can't remember if my Gryphon came preloaded with the tire size or not? But the unit itself is adjustable for tire size and you may have to play with it a bit to get your speed and mileage to come out correctly based on your set up.

Old 06-08-2010, 02:39 PM
Bigsur: I'm curious to know if you have been quoted an approximate time frame that your tuner will take? I'm interested in a custom tuner sonn and have been reading quite a bit on here about how long some folks are having to wait for their tunes. I was on the PHP site browsing last night and I saw that Bill is having some surgery pretty quickly here and would be down for a week and I wondered what that would do to ship dates. It was a fascinating read about how they started and how fast they've grown but I never saw any timeframes as far as waiting time for custom tunes. Just curious if you had been given a time.

Old 06-08-2010, 03:03 PM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Gryphon with canned tunes will not have the tire size preloaded. You'll have to go into the custom option menu to change along with the gear ratio.
When the custom tunes are written they should have the tire size that was indicated on the order form.
Hope this helps.

Old 06-08-2010, 03:10 PM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Colo Screw
Bigsur: I'm curious to know if you have been quoted an approximate time frame that your tuner will take? I'm interested in a custom tuner sonn and have been reading quite a bit on here about how long some folks are having to wait for their tunes. I was on the PHP site browsing last night and I saw that Bill is having some surgery pretty quickly here and would be down for a week and I wondered what that would do to ship dates. It was a fascinating read about how they started and how fast they've grown but I never saw any timeframes as far as waiting time for custom tunes. Just curious if you had been given a time.
Bill's wife Corey is having the surgery.
As far as quoting a time for custom tunes?
It's really hard to put an exact number on it.

Quick Reply: need last advice before ordering