need last advice before ordering

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 03:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Colo Screw
Bigsur: I'm curious to know if you have been quoted an approximate time frame that your tuner will take? I'm interested in a custom tuner sonn and have been reading quite a bit on here about how long some folks are having to wait for their tunes. I was on the PHP site browsing last night and I saw that Bill is having some surgery pretty quickly here and would be down for a week and I wondered what that would do to ship dates. It was a fascinating read about how they started and how fast they've grown but I never saw any timeframes as far as waiting time for custom tunes. Just curious if you had been given a time.
Yup....no ETA. I'm assuming the unit with canned tunes will come fairly quickly. I'm just going to run on the stock tow tune until my custom tunes come in.

Old 06-08-2010, 03:33 PM
Originally Posted by 88racing
Gryphon with canned tunes will not have the tire size preloaded. You'll have to go into the custom option menu to change along with the gear ratio.
When the custom tunes are written they should have the tire size that was indicated on the order form.
Hope this helps.
Yes that helps, thanks. I saw somewhere that certain options should be skipped the first time the menu is accessed. Hope I can find that somewhere.....

Will the manual that comes with the Gryphon explain all of the above in detail or do I need to refer to all relative posts and sticky's?

Old 06-08-2010, 03:38 PM
Bill's wife Corey is having the surgery.
As far as quoting a time for custom tunes?
It's really hard to put an exact number on it.
Correct me if I am wrong, but dont you get the canned gryphon within a week(usually) and the custom tunes are emailed once done and its then up to the customer to download them? I know I wish I done more research when buying my edge. I would have for sure gone gryphon all the way.

Old 06-08-2010, 03:49 PM
Originally Posted by Micheal
Correct me if I am wrong, but dont you get the canned gryphon within a week(usually) and the custom tunes are emailed once done and its then up to the customer to download them? I know I wish I done more research when buying my edge. I would have for sure gone gryphon all the way.
I think that's about how it works, or at least how I've interpreted the process.

Old 06-09-2010, 12:25 PM
Technical Article Contributor

You are correct. You will get the Gryphon unit with canned tunes, the same as the Edge. Your custom tunes will have to be written and then downloaded. You can still convert your current Edge to a Gryphon but you will have to take it off the truck and send it in. They will change out the plastic exterior cover and send it back to you loaded with your custom tunes.

Old 06-09-2010, 01:52 PM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
for initial startup of gryphon

Just to emphasize another point.
When you load a canned tune the Gryphon will read the pcm's VID memory and load those settings. The VID is where the tire size and gear ratio are stored. So the canned tunes will use these values when loading.
You'll need to drive the truck for approx 50-100 miles while the Gryphon builds stock files, then the custom options can be opened to change the tire size and gear ratio.

The above is for canned tunes only. Obviously custom tunes will have these files already.

Read through the stickys at the begining of this forum, Jack and others have done a great job explaining this.

Last edited by 88racing; 06-09-2010 at 02:13 PM.
Old 06-09-2010, 02:03 PM

Yes you are correct.
I was putting emphasis on the waiting time for Bill to write custom tunes and how hard it is to determine an actual time that customers will have to wait for them.

Old 06-09-2010, 02:06 PM
Just to emphasize another point.
When you load a canned tune the Gryphon will read the pcm's VID memory and load those settings. The VID is where the tire size and gear ratio are stored.
You'll need to drive the truck for approx 50-100 miles while the Gryphon builds stock files, then the custom options can be opened to change the tire size and gear ratio.

The above is for canned tunes only. Obviously custom tunes will have these files already.

Read through the stickys at the begining of this forum, Jack and others have done a great job explaining this.
For the Evo or the Gryphon, is the process you explained actually documented in the manual that comes with the unit for those who don't know any better. So basically you are stating that changing the GR and TS in the Custom Options Menu should be skipped until you have driven for awhile. Is this part of the standard install procedure as documented in the manuals? Just curious b/c those who don't know any better would obviously opt to change the settings right away.

Old 06-09-2010, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by bigsur
For the Evo or the Gryphon, is the process you explained actually documented in the manual that comes with the unit for those who don't know any better. So basically you are stating that changing the GR and TS in the Custom Options Menu should be skipped until you have driven for awhile. Is this part of the standard install procedure as documented in the manuals? Just curious b/c those who don't know any better would obviously opt to change the settings right away.
I don't have the manual in front of me at the moment.
But the stickys at the top do mention it.
Without stock files upon initial startup of a NEW Gryphon its generally recommended that this procedure
be followed.
Some past occurrences have of ironious codes have lead to this recommendation.

Old 06-09-2010, 02:40 PM

I was wrong that the stickys up top had this info.
It's actually here.
http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/faqs-...ions-menu.html
Page 14 of the manual doesn't mention it either.
Going to have to mention it to Corey.

Old 06-09-2010, 03:34 PM
I was wrong that the stickys up top had this info.
It's actually here.
http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/faqs-...ions-menu.html
Page 14 of the manual doesn't mention it either.
Going to have to mention it to Corey.
88, seems if this procedure is specific to custom tunes. What about if you are loading a canned tune? Is it still necessary?

Old 06-09-2010, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by bigsur
88, seems if this procedure is specific to custom tunes. What about if you are loading a canned tune? Is it still necessary?
This procedure is especially canned tunes.
If you'd like to look at it as both canned tunes and custom tunes should do this, then so be it.
But
As explained before the custom tunes already have a lot of the custom options written into them. So needing to open the custom option menu after loading the custom tunes isn't really necessary, only if changes are needed along the way.
Usually its the canned tunes that are needed to be changed first to compensate for mods+driver preferences. Because that's what you'll get first while waiting for the custom files.

Excerpt:

Q: What if I just skip the Custom Options menu when I load my custo tune. Will my TS and GR be correct then?

A: Yes, if you haven't installed different sized tires or changed your gears since your tunes were written. Bypassing the Custom Options menu caus to make sure you are loading a tune exactly as Bill wrote it.

Q: I read somewhere that we should bypass the Custom Options men the first time we load a custom tune. Is this correct?

A: Yes. The first time you do "Power Programming", it is best to skip Custom Options entirely. This allows the Gryphon to read the original calibration from the PCM and allows it to build all files it will need in the future.

End exerpt.

Yes I understand it sounds like its for customs but it is for both canned and customs.

Last edited by 88racing; 06-09-2010 at 04:34 PM.
Old 06-09-2010, 05:39 PM
Thanks for clarifying 88

Old 06-09-2010, 06:18 PM

You're welcome!

Old 06-09-2010, 06:44 PM
88, I've got another one for you if you have time to answer. As best as you can describe, how much "extra" would one notice b/w a canned tow tune (Level 2) and a custom 87 performance tune. I understand you get the biggest "feel" when upgrading from stock to almost any tune, such as canned Level 2. Is the difference b/w Level 2 and any canned OR custom performance tune significant enough to notice a considerable difference???? This will help me make my mind up if I really "need" a custom performance tune (87 preferred) at this time b/c my mods don't necessarily require it. If the canned tunes will do mostly what I need them to, I may hold off on custom for now, but at the same time....I don't know how much I would be missing out on. Thanks in advance

Quick Reply: need last advice before ordering