Hypertech max energy

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 08:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hypertech max energy

Anyone use the Hypertech Max Energy (42003) on the 09 or 10's yet? It's the same part number as the 04-08, I think just updated software. The website dyno claimed 35HP and 42 Ft-lbs gained on 87. Was wondering if anyone has tried it and noticed a significant difference in power/mileage.
I just bought one from the classified section for 250 bucks. I was going to hod out for the Edge but the price was right and the power gains claimed on the website sounded pretty good. There is also a video of a 2010 on the dyno on the website. I really liked seeing the results for myself. As I am not stateside right now, I'll have to ask my wife about any difference she feels or sees in mileage and report back later. At least she will have an un-biased opinion.

Old 03-10-2010, 10:21 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by sozzy1269
Anyone use the Hypertech Max Energy (42003) on the 09 or 10's yet? It's the same part number as the 04-08, I think just updated software. The website dyno claimed 35HP and 42 Ft-lbs gained on 87. Was wondering if anyone has tried it and noticed a significant difference in power/mileage.
I just bought one from the classified section for 250 bucks. I was going to hod out for the Edge but the price was right and the power gains claimed on the website sounded pretty good. There is also a video of a 2010 on the dyno on the website. I really liked seeing the results for myself. As I am not stateside right now, I'll have to ask my wife about any difference she feels or sees in mileage and report back later. At least she will have an un-biased opinion.
Those are very high numbers to be claiming. Normally, canned tunes run a little short of custom tunes since they are "one size fits all". They are usually expected to provide something like 20 to 25 HP on 87, while a custom tune may get as much as 30 or 35. Regardless of how much it does, if even as low as 20 HP, it is a very noticable gain and the improved shifting is much better.

Old 03-10-2010, 10:46 AM
From one service member to another.. Thank you! I am looking at programmers as well. I am going to go with custom tunes, but, for the price you paid.. You will be more then happy!

Old 03-10-2010, 01:11 PM
Thanks, I think 250 will be worth it. The Hypertech website has a video of the 2010 and the dyno results... Actually lived up to the numbers... The same programmer with older software was rated at much less increase on the 04-08's, but the new trucks seam to respond better.
Also, I am no longer in the military. I am 80% disabled but still work for DOD over here in the box. Pay is better and I can grow killer sideburns!

Old 03-18-2010, 03:21 PM
Former Sponsor
Originally Posted by Bluejay
Those are very high numbers to be claiming. Normally, canned tunes run a little short of custom tunes since they are "one size fits all". They are usually expected to provide something like 20 to 25 HP on 87, while a custom tune may get as much as 30 or 35. Regardless of how much it does, if even as low as 20 HP, it is a very noticable gain and the improved shifting is much better.
The Hypertech programmer actually reads out your stock calibration, and builds a tune specifically for it. If the programmer doesn't recognize your calibration, then it will prompt you to update the tuner. If the calibration is something new, the tuner will upload the calibration to our server, and we usually will have an update in 48 hours.

The power gains advertised are at the rear wheels, and are consistent with what you should get with your truck. All of our tunes are compatible with emission legal bolt ons.

Old 03-20-2010, 10:10 AM
Originally Posted by Hypertech Suppo
The Hypertech programmer actually reads out your stock calibration, and builds a tune specifically for it. If the programmer doesn't recognize your calibration, then it will prompt you to update the tuner. If the calibration is something new, the tuner will upload the calibration to our server, and we usually will have an update in 48 hours.

The power gains advertised are at the rear wheels, and are consistent with what you should get with your truck. All of our tunes are compatible with emission legal bolt ons.
Thank you.. thats what I wanted to hear..I have a 2010 fx4 and am looking at SCT, Hypertech, and Superchips...

Old 03-20-2010, 10:50 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypertech Suppo

Good morning sir!

Would it be possible for you to elaborate on this: "The Hypertech programmer actually reads out your stock calibration, and builds a tune specifically for it."

This something new, as all other devices simply match the strategy to a replacement stored file, save the stock calibration and do an overwrite.

Also - the second portion is a bit confusing to me: is not an 'unrecognized calibration' the equivalent ( from the device's perspective) of a 'new' one? If so, how is the detemination made to prompt for upgrade versus uploading (for which it must presumably copy the stock calibration to the device first). Are you talking the actual complete code dump, or just the strategy hex code identifier tht is uploaded?

On that last point, would it not be more expedient and efficient for Hypertech to receive the latest available database of calibrations form Ford, which, again, is what your competitors have access to, as far as I know), construct new tunes and publish to yer download server? This is proactive rather than reactive - always preferable, to my mind.

Lastly I do remain skeptical of yer published numbers - this is an area usually reserved for true, full 7-digit strategy match custom tuning running on 93 octane. I do not think any handheld has the capability to internally 'construct' tunes to that level of detail. Personal opinion, only. But again yer competitor's results are, apparently, dwarfed by yours, which does legitimately raise some doubt.

Thanks for yer time. My hope is that you can provide further information and additional evidence to support your statements. Nothing I've not asked of others.

Regards;

MGD v4.2

Old 03-20-2010, 06:27 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
I'm skeptical of those claims too. This is obviously a "canned" tune, no matter how it's built and I can't really see it performing that well. Just because it knows the hex code doesn't mean it knows anything else.

- Jack

Old 03-20-2010, 11:08 PM

I've had one on my truck for about 9 months with no problems. I'm not sure about the numbers but it does seem to have more power with the programmer. I tried stepping back to the stock tune and I could feel less power and no mpg increase, so back to the performance tune.

I wanted to try out a Gryphon, but I needed to reprogram after my lift and tire swap and had good luck with my last truck on a Hypertech.

Old 03-20-2010, 11:20 PM
Technical Article Contributor

I've got a 2010 Fx4 and I'm looking into the HyperTech as well. I'm not so concerned about the HP as I am the throttle response. My friend has an '08 FX4 and the throttle doesn't seem to lag nearly as bad. He's running a HyperTech, but I'm not sure if the throttle lag is because of the programmer, his 4-speed tranny (vs. my 6-speed), or something altogether different.

Just wondering if anyone with an 09/10 has seen any improvement in the throttle response with the HyperTech Max Energy?

Old 03-20-2010, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by ncTidalWave
I've got a 2010 Fx4 and I'm looking into the HyperTech as well. I'm not so concerned about the HP as I am the throttle response. My friend has an '08 FX4 and the throttle doesn't seem to lag nearly as bad. He's running a HyperTech, but I'm not sure if the throttle lag is because of the programmer, his 4-speed tranny (vs. my 6-speed), or something altogether different.

Just wondering if anyone with an 09/10 has seen any improvement in the throttle response with the HyperTech Max Energy?
I don't have any complaints with throttle lag on my truck.

Old 03-20-2010, 11:31 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by DeereGeff
I don't have any complaints with throttle lag on my truck.
Really? Hmmm...sry not trying to derail the thread here. When you kick it to the floor, does your truck do the 3-second-wait till it decides you actually want to accelerate?

EDIT: and do you mean you have no complaints since the programmer, or just in general?

Old 03-20-2010, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by ncTidalWave
Really? Hmmm...sry not trying to derail the thread here. When you kick it to the floor, does your truck do the 3-second-wait till it decides you actually want to accelerate?

EDIT: and do you mean you have no complaints since the programmer, or just in general?
No complaints since the programmer and that's with my 35" tires.

Old 03-22-2010, 01:59 PM
I have read that the delay in acceleration is primarily due to the electric throttle control more than the trans, although the 6 speed will take longer to downshift as it has more gears to downshift through.
Update: My wife took the programmer to work today and is suppossed to have one of the guys there show her how to install it. She still has not tried pkugging it in to even see if it recognizes the truck yet... I have her doing a lot of "chores" for me and it has been low on her priority list. As soon as she has some data for me, I will share.
Also, if she installs the tune today, she'll have to put it back to stock for tomorrow because the truck is due for it's first oil change and the dealer does our first free of charge.

Old 03-22-2010, 06:09 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by sozzy1269
I have read that the delay in acceleration is primarily due to the electric throttle control more than the trans, although the 6 speed will take longer to downshift as it has more gears to downshift through. ...<snip>...
I think it's more than "drive by wire".

When Bill Cohron adjusts the shifting behavior in his custom tunes, he modifies at least three things:
1. Ford's torque reduction strategy during shifts.
2. Line pressures in the transmission.
3. The delay between clutch band release and lockup of the bands in the new gear.
I certainly know that canned, and then custom tunes have reduced the delay between flooring the pedal and a downshift to a reasonable interval in my truck. Please DO understand though that some delay is inevitable. The transmission is a mechanical device that cannot undergo an instantaneous change.

- Jack

Quick Reply: Hypertech max energy