New Edge User with 305/65-18's (A few comments and questions)

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 04:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Edge User with 305/65-18's (A few comments and questions)

I finally received my Edge Evo in the mail today. I couldn't wait to get it hooked up! I hooked it up to the laptop to make sure I had all the latest updates, and it sure did update. It took about 15-20 minutes to load it and get it up to snuff. This Edge was manufacured in early 2008 and I doubt it had ever been updated since then.

I measured one of the rear tires in my driveway by doing the mark and roll method. I came up with 103 inches or 2616 millimeters. If somebody else with this size tire can validate that, I'd appreciate it. I'll confirm my speedo with a GPS eventually.
Then I went through the custom settings and plugged in almost the same settings as Bluejay. I knocked down the shift firmness a couple of points, but after driving it about 3km's I bumped it back up to where you like them for the most part Bluejay, other than the 3-4 shift pressure.

This is for Level 2 on 87 octane:

1-2 5250 pressure 12
2-3 5250 pressure 12
3-4 4800 pressure 8

Rev limiter @ 5650

Fuel @ WOT 1.50

I even bumped the timing a touch to .25 after trying it at 0. Seemed fine.

Tires at 2616 mm with 3.73 gears.

I'd have to say that there did seem to be some better low end torque, but nothing that blew my mind away. Keep in mind that I only drove the truck about 5-7 miles (if that). Shifts seemed faster and a little firmer. When I punched it, it kicked down quick.

With the truck off, the battery was reading mid 12's for volts, and with the engine running it was reading mid 14's. Does that sound proper for a healthy battery and charging system?

Question; everytime I went back in to check my custom settings, the settings indicated that they were back to default. I'm sure this has been asked time and time again, but how do you go in to see what the initial changes you made are set at without having to redo them all. I tried several times an had to redo them everytime.
After making the changes I clicked "done" and I even tried the other feature "saved settings" or whatever that feature said.
It seemed that once you've programmed the truck and exited the programming mode, once you go back in to check those settings you have to plug them all in again. Am I being a bonehead here?

Old 02-23-2009, 04:24 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by last5oh_302
I finally received my Edge Evo in the mail today. I couldn't wait to get it hooked up! I hooked it up to the laptop to make sure I had all the latest updates, and it sure did update. It took about 15-20 minutes to load it and get it up to snuff. This Edge was manufacured in early 2008 and I doubt it had ever been updated since then.

I measured one of the rear tires in my driveway by doing the mark and roll method. I came up with 103 inches or 2616 millimeters. If somebody else with this size tire can validate that, I'd appreciate it. I'll confirm my speedo with a GPS eventually.
Then I went through the custom settings and plugged in almost the same settings as Bluejay. I knocked down the shift firmness a couple of points, but after driving it about 3km's I bumped it back up to where you like them for the most part Bluejay, other than the 3-4 shift pressure.

This is for Level 2 on 87 octane:

1-2 5250 pressure 12
2-3 5250 pressure 12
3-4 4800 pressure 8

Rev limiter @ 5650

Fuel @ WOT 1.50

I even bumped the timing a touch to .25 after trying it at 0. Seemed fine.

Tires at 2616 mm with 3.73 gears.

I'd have to say that there did seem to be some better low end torque, but nothing that blew my mind away. Keep in mind that I only drove the truck about 5-7 miles (if that). Shifts seemed faster and a little firmer. When I punched it, it kicked down quick.

With the truck off, the battery was reading mid 12's for volts, and with the engine running it was reading mid 14's. Does that sound proper for a healthy battery and charging system?

Question; everytime I went back in to check my custom settings, the settings indicated that they were back to default. I'm sure this has been asked time and time again, but how do you go in to see what the initial changes you made are set at without having to redo them all. I tried several times an had to redo them everytime.
After making the changes I clicked "done" and I even tried the other feature "saved settings" or whatever that feature said.
It seemed that once you've programmed the truck and exited the programming mode, once you go back in to check those settings you have to plug them all in again. Am I being a bonehead here?
Toward the end of the custom settings, there is an option that says something like "reload programmed settings" or something like that. If you don't chose and save that, you do have to reenter all settings when you go back in. It's a hassle. When you are going back in to check, you are erasing previous settings. That is one reason I love the custom tune.

Are you sure you are getting the gears correct. It will have a default and if it's not what you have, you must change it. Also, on some trucks, there has to be a learning period, it gets better after several hard driving sessions.

Your roll out method is the most accurate, but you can check it by using the forula in the manual and allowing about 3-5% for squish.

That voltage reading is spot on.

Old 02-23-2009, 04:32 PM
Originally Posted by Bluejay
Toward the end of the custom settings, there is an option that says something like "reload programmed settings" or something like that. If you don't chose and save that, you do have to reenter all settings when you go back in. It's a hassle. When you are going back in to check, you are erasing previous settings. That is one reason I love the custom tune.

Are you sure you are getting the gears correct. It will have a default and if it's not what you have, you must change it. Also, on some trucks, there has to be a learning period, it gets better after several hard driving sessions.

Your roll out method is the most accurate, but you can check it by using the forula in the manual and allowing about 3-5% for squish.

That voltage reading is spot on.
Awesome.

Yeah, the gears were already set at 3.73's, so all I did was click "done" for that setting.
It may be all in my head, but on the last leg of my short journey in the truck, the low end grunt seemed a bit stronger already. Could be psychological but I like to pride myself on "not" letting the psychological part get the better of me. Does it learn that fast?

Okay, I may have done the saving of the settings wrong. I'll try that again next time I'm out there. So when I go back into level 2, go directly to the "reload previous settings", or whatever it says, and my previously loaded settings should be there?
I'm also leaving it plugged into the truck. It's fairly cold out, and it will definitely be cold tonight. I want to give it the cold weather test.

Thanks for the help Bluejay.

Old 02-23-2009, 05:12 PM
Global Moderator &

Awesome.

Yeah, the gears were already set at 3.73's, so all I did was click "done" for that setting.
It may be all in my head, but on the last leg of my short journey in the truck, the low end grunt seemed a bit stronger already. Could be psychological but I like to pride myself on "not" letting the psychological part get the better of me. Does it learn that fast?

Okay, I may have done the saving of the settings wrong. I'll try that again next time I'm out there. So when I go back into level 2, go directly to the "reload previous settings", or whatever it says, and my previously loaded settings should be there?
I'm also leaving it plugged into the truck. It's fairly cold out, and it will definitely be cold tonight. I want to give it the cold weather test.

Thanks for the help Bluejay.
Yep, that's the one. Reload previous settings.

Old 02-23-2009, 05:17 PM
Global Moderator &

One other thing. The Fuel at WOT, you may want to try it leaving that alone. I think the reason I had to bump that up was because I was having to do a + 1.25 on the timing. I was always on Level 3, running 93 . If you are on Level 2 with 87, and don't bump the timing, then I think the WOT should be already set. You should be feeling a strong difference in lower rpms and firm shifts.

Old 02-23-2009, 07:24 PM
I tried opening level two after loading previous settings this time and they were all there. I tried it several times in fact, but one time it changed my tire size to an even larger tire when I checked it.
Thanks for that tip. Luckily I recall the WOT setting being 1.10 the first time I went into custom settings on level two. This time it was at 1.30 after going back in without saving the previous settings. I just left it there and put the timing back down to 0.
The cable Internet is down in my area. Luckily I still have my phone to post from.

Old 02-23-2009, 09:43 PM
I just got back from playing and there's definitely more grunt. Some of the regular hills I hit around here required much less throttle, and it still had some pull without wanting to downshift. Shifts hit fast and responsiveness to throttle is much faster.

The manual says, for WOT Fuel, a value of 1.5 increases the fuel by 50%. A value of 1.8 increases the fuel 80%. Using a higher value may improve performance during hard acceleration. This value ONLY effects WOT fueling and has no effect on normal driving conditions.

It doesn't mention those values being for any particular tune, so perhaps bumping the fuel is good for all tunes.

Also, I used the tire formula and came up with 2682mm, but my mark and roll came up with 2616. That's not far off. I'll eventually verify with a GPS.

Old 02-23-2009, 09:49 PM
Global Moderator &

I just got back from playing and there's definitely more grunt. Some of the regular hills I hit around here required much less throttle, and it still had some pull without wanting to downshift. Shifts hit fast and responsiveness to throttle is much faster.

The manual says, for WOT Fuel, a value of 1.5 increases the fuel by 50%. A value of 1.8 increases the fuel 80%. Using a higher value may improve performance during hard acceleration. This value ONLY effects WOT fueling and has no effect on normal driving conditions.

It doesn't mention those values being for any particular tune, so perhaps bumping the fuel is good for all tunes.

Also, I used the tire formula and came up with 2682mm, but my mark and roll came up with 2616. That's not far off. I'll eventually verify with a GPS.

The roll out is more accurate than the calc.

Old 02-23-2009, 10:43 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
I think you've got the procedure correct now. If you want your old custom settings as you select a new tune, go to the "Load Previous Settings" option FIRST, before doing anything else.

Then, make any changes you want. These will become your "new" Previous Settings once you save them and reprogram your PCM.

Once you make all the changes you want, make sure you select "Done" on the Custom Options menu. If you just "back out" by hitting the "Menu" button again, your new settings will not be used.

If you don't "Load Previous Settings" as the first step in the Custom Options menu, you're going to get garbage values loaded in some of the parameters. And if you select "Load Previous Settings" after you've made some changes, the changes you made will probably be wiped out by the "previous settings".

I know, it's complicated. And, hopefully, I understand it well enough now to explain it.

Basically, every time you make a change to Custom Options and use that change, it updates the "Previous Settings" file. It is a "global" file that applies to any tune you choose, if you "Load Previous Settings" in that tune. The settings for one tune may not be correct for a different tune. You have to decide, and modify as necessary.

- Jack

Old 02-23-2009, 10:54 PM
Yep, I have the loading of previous settings down now, but I didn't realize it was global, as you put it. I'm looking forward to trying level 3 once I burn this tank off, and I figured I'd have to redo all the settings. Thanks for the tip. So once I bump the timing and fuel up for 94 octane, I'll just have to drop those two settings when going back to level 2.

Old 02-23-2009, 10:57 PM
Global Moderator &

Yep, I have the loading of previous settings down now, but I didn't realize it was global, as you put it. I'm looking forward to trying level 3 once I burn this tank off, and I figured I'd have to redo all the settings. Thanks for the tip. So once I bump the timing and fuel up for 94 octane, I'll just have to drop those two settings when going back to level 2.
YEP! Cool! This IS complicated as hell, isn't it?

- Jack

Old 02-23-2009, 11:06 PM
Originally Posted by JackandJanet
YEP! Cool! This IS complicated as hell, isn't it?

- Jack
Actually, I find it very user friendly for the most part. It's fun to play with too. When one reads the manual, gets tips on here from fellas like you and Bluejay, and then spend a little time with some hands on with the tuner, you should have the whole thing mastered in little time. I'm comfortable now and have a great feel for it now. There's always room for some experimentation as well.

Old 02-23-2009, 11:15 PM
Global Moderator &

Actually, I find it very user friendly for the most part. It's fun to play with too. When one reads the manual, gets tips on here from fellas like you and Bluejay, and then spend a little time with some hands on with the tuner, you should have the whole thing mastered in little time. I'm comfortable now and have a great feel for it now. There's always room for some experimentation as well.
It IS user friendly - but the "Load Previous Settings" part is somewhat vague. I used to think it was settings for each tune. Then, I thought it only applied if you were reloading the same tune (almost the same misconception). And, if you "back out" without hitting Enter on any setting or if you don't select "Done", you lose your changes.

- Jack

Old 02-23-2009, 11:30 PM
Originally Posted by JackandJanet
It IS user friendly - but the "Load Previous Settings" part is somewhat vague. I used to think it was settings for each tune. Then, I thought it only applied if you were reloading the same tune (almost the same misconception). And, if you "back out" without hitting Enter on any setting or if you don't select "Done", you lose your changes.

- Jack
Yes, that was a little frustrating, until I got some help in this thread.

Old 02-23-2009, 11:33 PM
Global Moderator &

If level 3 does anything for your truck like it did mine, you're going to want to stay in level 3. I found that I got enough better mileage, once I got over the newness, to pay the difference in cost for the premium fuel.

Quick Reply: New Edge User with 305/65-18's (A few comments and questions)