Troyer or Bill???

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 08:10 PM
Suspended
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 06darkstone
might not be BS

My 2000 GT with Basani X-Pie and u/d pullies, but no tunes would get 15-20 mixed use depending on how heavy your foot was but I would get 26 on the freeway at 80 mph.
I don't think he was serious. If he was, than that's too damn bad he's naive.

I also have an intake with bigger maf tube, UDPs, muffler delete, and CMDPs.

Old 04-23-2008, 08:22 PM
I was getting 20+ highway with my '02 GT. But of course it was dynotuned as well.

Your VMP tunes must just be that good thumper.

Old 04-23-2008, 08:34 PM
Originally Posted by ThumperMX113
I want to say about 3 mpg is a good, safe, estimate. I usually get 20.5 mpg in my Mustang on VMP's 93 octane performance tune. I can get up to 26 mpg driving slowly on their 93 octane mpg tune.
Thats awesome! I averaged about 14mpg in my 2006 on Evolution Performance's 91 tune. That was with 4.11 gears, but still that sucked! Made my trucks mileage not so painful

Old 04-29-2008, 05:34 PM
Well Justin sent me my custom tune for 87 Perf with moderate fuel economy.

All i can say is The WOW is Back! You touch the peddle and it snaps your head back. Shifts are like stock but firmer. Lots of power throughout all peddle positions. Its like Troyers tune and the edge all rolled into one tune.

And it only took 3 days to get it! Yep you heard right 3Days!!! Most of that was emailing Justin back and forth about how the tune was to be set up. Once settled i got it the next day! So really it took only one day.

I'm very happy with the tune and especially the fact there is no more hanging on to 1st till 3500 rpm's till it shifted to 2nd like my TP tune did.

Will be getting more tunes from Justin for sure.

Old 04-29-2008, 05:55 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by Irish FX4
I'm very happy with the tune and especially the fact there is no more hanging on to 1st till 3500 rpm's till it shifted to 2nd like my TP tune did.
3500? damn, mine shifts right at 2100-2300.

Old 04-29-2008, 06:15 PM
Originally Posted by mSaLL150
3500? damn, mine shifts right at 2100-2300.
Jeeeze i wish mine shifted at that. Under normal driving it would not shift till 3000 to 3500 and higher if i had my foot down even a little bit more. I called TP and they asked me to see if all the tunes did this and they did! I found myself lifting my foot off the gas a little to get it to shift sooner then back on the gas. It was a pain in the butt to say the least. Dont get me wrong i liked the tunes but for that one thing. Also found them harder on gas!

Last edited by Irish FX4; 04-29-2008 at 06:19 PM.
Old 04-29-2008, 07:44 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by Irish FX4
Jeeeze i wish mine shifted at that. Under normal driving it would not shift till 3000 to 3500 and higher if i had my foot down even a little bit more. I called TP and they asked me to see if all the tunes did this and they did! I found myself lifting my foot off the gas a little to get it to shift sooner then back on the gas. It was a pain in the butt to say the least. Dont get me wrong i liked the tunes but for that one thing. Also found them harder on gas!
wierd. i'll get a vid up of normal driving with my TP tunes, but it def doesnt wait until 3500. that would definitly make it rough on gas.

Old 04-29-2008, 08:49 PM
Suspended
I can't wait till Irish tells you how he likes his new tunes ...

Old 04-29-2008, 08:55 PM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by FiLiPiNo AkO

however, i asked for him to send back my edge casing due to california carb rules. edge will get the carb sticker for their unit, so i can display it when it comes out. and if the case isn't edge, i don't think i could legally have it. so i requested to have my case returned to me so i can behind scene put back the old casing. of course let bill do his thing with it.

Dude,

Lighten up. You are using a device which plugs into your OBD II. When you get to the Smog Inspection shop, just unplug it and put it in your pocket. They will never know. That particulate "sniffer" that goes into the tailpipe can't tell that you've had an Edge Evolution plugged into your car.

I have the SCT X3 Power Flash. There is a little sticker on the package that says it is not legal in CA. I load whatever tunes I want, or return to stock. When I go for inspection, how will they know? That particulate "sniffer" that goes into the tailpipe can't tell that I'm using a custom tune.

California may have some of the strictest regulations in the country. But over the years, I've come to discover that half of the smog techs don't care or don't know about what they're really doing. Half the time, they never even ask about obvious things like headers, intakes, and exhaust.

Old 04-29-2008, 09:13 PM
Now if we could all make truthful declarations backed up by facts in evidence, as opposed to simply voicing opinions, this forum would hold more value. Alas, this is a public forum, and all are allowed to simply pipe in what they want without having to produce verification.

Good job ASEMechanic. You were able to cite specifics and provide links. Let's see if we could get everybody on board. Maybe we could debunk some of these myths. Dare I say, "Myth Busted"?

And for the record, neither SCT, Superchips, or Troyer Performance makes any claims to having a California Air Resources Board, Executive Order #. As a matter of fact, I have a SCT X3 Power Flash purchased from Troyer, and there is a sticker on the package that clearly states: "Not legal for sale on pollution controlled vehicles or in the state of California."

Originally Posted by ASEMechanic
I mean no disrespect to Troyer, but according to the CARB database...

(http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermk...es/amquery.php - Search by Manufacturer, select "Electronic Control Unit / Proms", the click Search for EOs)

...there is no listing of a CARB EO# for either Troyer Performance, SCT, or Superchips Custom Tuning which I take to mean that none of their programmers (custom or otherwise) are CARB certified. However, if their products are CARB certified and have a valid EO#, then I will certainly admit I am incorrect, but I don't think I am.

I have dealt with CARB since 1996 and as it sits now, Custom Tuning by nature is not able to be CARB certified. If it was, I'd probably still be programming Evolutions instead of selling Gryphons.

Again, this is not a shot against Troyer, whom I certanily respect, and I am certain his tunes are "da'bomb". I just want to make sure that there is no confusion or misinformation floating about.

Take care

Old 04-29-2008, 09:18 PM
Originally Posted by openclasspro#11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tank1200 View Post
kudos to you bill, keep up the excellent work, im waiting on my gryphon as we speak. bill and gryphon all the way!!! some people dont think before they speak!!!!

???
I thought only rock stars had groupies.

Old 04-29-2008, 09:23 PM
Former Sponsor
Originally Posted by Tical84
Bill, if you're still around in this thread...
I notice while looking at this new "Gryphon" tuner (I have the Edge Evo and had since late '05) that there's only a list of 8 monitors as opposed to the Evo's 21 or 22 that they're at now. Was that just an abbreviated list or is that all there is in this new tuner? Granted there are some in the Evo's list that I'll never use but they do have some I do use all the time that aren't in your list.
Hi there,

To answer your question, the 2004-2008 Ford F-Series 5.4L & 4.6L Triton V8 Gryphon has the ability to display up to four PIDs, and you can choose from:

AFRP
Actual Fuel Rail Pressure
AMPG
Average Miles Per Gallon
APP
Accelerator Pedal Position
BAT
Battery Voltage
CHT
Cylinder Head Temperature
ECT
Engine Coolant Temperature
EOT
Engine Oil Temperature
IAT
Intake Air Temperature
IMPG
Instant Miles Per Gallon
LOAD
Engine Load %
LPD
Line Pressure Desired
MAF
Mass Air Flow
MAFV
Mass Air Flow Voltage
MPH
Miles Per Hour
OSS
Output Shaft Speed
RPM
Revolutions Per Minute
SPARK
Spark Advance
TFT
Transmission Fluid Temperature
TQC
Torque Control
TSS
Turbine Shaft Speed
VCAM
Variable Cam Timing

The 2007-2008 Ford Power Stroke 6.4L Gryphon has fewer choices:

BARO
Barometric Pressure
BAT
Battery Voltage
BST
Boost Pressure
REGEN
Diesel Particulate Filter Regen. Cycle
DTC
Diagnostic Trouble Code
ECT
Engine Coolant Temperature
EGT
Exhaust Gas Temperature
EOT
Engine Oil Temperature
IAT
Intake Air Temperature
LOAD
Engine Load
MPH
Miles Per Hour
RPM
Revolutions Per Minute
TFT
Transmission Fluid Temperature

I haven't written the '97-'03 manual yet, but I believe that a few that are on the '04-'08 are not available.

Hope this helps!

Old 04-29-2008, 09:31 PM
Is a CARB E.O.# for custom tuning now an "urban legend"? Is it one of those chain e-mails that will somehow contribute $1 to cure a little kid's life threatening illness? How did this all get started? Neither Bill, Justin, nor any other custom tuner should have to even chime in to declare what they are not.

Originally Posted by Justin@VMP

As Bill mentioned, custom tuning is not carb certifiable by its very nature. I am working on some ways to make it certifiable, as it has been done in other industries.

Old 04-29-2008, 09:37 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
Corey, you need to stop and take a breath! But, you're getting close to being "senior citizen" status on this forum!

Too bad it doesn't get you any discounts.

- Jack

Old 04-29-2008, 10:28 PM
Well, Groovy Chick, do you guys offer a trade-in program for Xcal2 tuners? I like the idea of your economy tunes and would like to consider the Gryphon. Can you do CAI and Exhaust packages as well?

Quick Reply: Troyer or Bill???