Dyno'd tonight...

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 01:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Dyno'd tonight...

I've had my X-cal2 from Troyer for just about a year and never got around to dyno'ing as I couldn't find a shop nearby that would do it for less than $160 and had kind of given up. I just got a full size trailer so I wanted to get a 92 tow tune so I started making calls again to dynos and finally found one for half that amount. I must say I was very impressed. Ran it on my 92 Perf tune and got 251hp/317ft lbs (i've got AirRaid intake and Magnaflow exhaust also). These tunes are the real deal.

The A/F graph looks like I may be running lean, but I am no expert. It showed me at ~13.4 at WOT...or that is what I am interpreting it as. That's why I'll be sending it off to mike and company for them to interpret.

Bad thing is that the dyno did not spit out tabular results for A/F. We crawled all over the dyno program (me being a computer guy, i was hoping I could figure it out for them) and there was no way to get them. Program they were running was very old so looked like that may have been factor. I would say if you are planning to dyno, ask in advance if they are capable of doing it. I just assumed that they would be able to.

Old 10-18-2006, 12:41 PM
Does your truck have the 5.4 engine?

Old 10-18-2006, 02:11 PM
Yes, I have the 5.4.

Old 10-18-2006, 08:10 PM
Keep us posted, i run the air-aid as well. Mike told me personaly the other day that the Airaid is THE ONLY intake he feels 100% comfortable with there not being any lean conditions with. Dyno after dyno on dyno day they all run consistantly safe. Actually, he said that to be true for the latest revised design of the Airaid......maybe you have previous model?
Gordon

Old 10-18-2006, 08:50 PM
Originally Posted by toddyman88
.....maybe you have previous model?
Gordon
I just got it this past spring so it should be the latest and greatest that they have to offer. I will post back when/if I get more info. But if they run lean sometimes bone stock I wouldn't necessarily see the AirRaid correcting that but I could be wrong.

Old 10-18-2006, 09:57 PM
good numbers

those are good wot numbers-phil

Old 10-19-2006, 07:58 PM
Dyno Sheet

Here's the Dyno sheet from my first run.

Old 10-19-2006, 08:07 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm definitely no expert here but, I believe that your AFs are high all the way across the pull (especially early -- 2 to 3.25K)... 13, I believe, is more of the top end on what you'd want to see.

Old 10-19-2006, 08:20 PM
Originally Posted by RockPick
I'm definitely no expert here but, I believe that your AFs are high all the way across the pull (especially early -- 2 to 3.25K)... 13, I believe, is more of the top end on what you'd want to see.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking also. I need to get it in the hands of the expert.

Old 10-21-2006, 07:23 PM
nice number for a NA truck...what size tires and wheels you have..also are you 4x4?

Old 10-23-2006, 01:49 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi everyone,

Well, first off, the reason the A/F's are so "high" at low rpms is because they are *supposed* to be, because it's running in closed loop, and thus at Stoich A/F's - as should be easily seen in the datalogs thru the OBD-II port using LiveLink & a laptop, if this was done properly. In other words, in that area it's not at WOT yet - even once you go to WOT, it takes a bit of time for the engine to ramp down to it's open loop A/F curve - so this is pretty basic, but it requires the knowledge & experience of a tuner on these trucks to interpret this A/F plot so we don't start giving unfounded scare stories.

And no, this does not change my mind about the Airaid intake kits, either. We have dyno'd them many times here and find no issues with the current design that has been available for well over a year - what we *do* find is that some of these trucks just run lean from the factory in bone-stock trim - as those of you who have attended our dyno day events know. This is one of the reasons why we harp so much on getting data to us, so that we can dial them in - speaking of which, I have a good pile of datalogs here that I need to get to!!

This issue of some of them running lean from the factory is more of a tendency on the 2004 & newer trucks, however, we do like to see data on any vehicle we tune, ideally.

In this case, he made *great* power for his mods, and the HP, Torque & A/F's should be available in tabular format as it was done on a Dynojet - all that is required is to go to "File," then hit "Export Data," then on the next screen press the "Preview" button on the bottom, and then press the "Print" button - and you have your tabular data sent to the printer, showing the HP, Torque, Engine rpms, and A/F ratio every 100 rpm if it's set up correctly in the dialog box for the Export data screen - this is very basic for any Dynojet.

Another point when running on Dynojets (and some other dynos) is this - if the operator uses the Dynojet air pump to gather the A/F ratios (typically by sniffing the tailpipe), they can read lean when they're really not. See, the Dynojet air pump requires a new air filter every 8 hours - that means every day for a shop that does any real volume, and virtually nobody does that! Also, the reed valve in the air pump should be replaced about every 90 days or so, depending on how much volume they do. Again, this is something that generally does not get replaced until it breaks, as the owners generally just aren't aware of this.

This is precisely why we do not use the air pump on our Dynojet, it's still sitting brand new, never used, in its original box - instead, we sample the A/F's from a bung in the exhaust, so we know we are not dealing with potential air pump issues showing "false" lean conditions.

Additionally, A/F's in the mid-13's will *not* hurt the engine in normal operation - now on the other hand, I would not want to use that for towing heavy loads up a mountain, but otherwise, that doesn't actually hurt the motor, they are just a bit to lean for where we like to see these trucks, and the resultant EGT's on a long-hard grade under a heavy load.

Just a little general FYI....... and congrats on those power numbers!

Old 10-23-2006, 05:19 PM
Thanks Mike for the info. The dyno shop is open tomorrow so I will call them to see if they can follow those steps to output the tabular format so that I can send this all off tomorrow. I will be towing 6000# up mountains so I am looking forward to my 92 tow tune

I agree, I was impressed with the numbers, but thought I had read that 12.0:1 at WOT was ideal so that was why I tossed that out there. They were gathered via a bung in the exhaust (at least that is what they told me since they had me sitting in the cab running it).

weazel, I have Lariat stock 18 inch wheels with 275/65/R18 tires.

Quick Reply: Dyno'd tonight...