LiveLink Software Problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2006, 08:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LiveLink Software Problems

I have inquired into SCT's website for answers, but haven't been able to get any info, so I'll post it here. I attempted to do Troyer's No-Load datalogging this weekend (trial runs until the day I get to the dyno), and Troyer states you can run one continous file for all the no-load data, however LiveLink stops recording live data after 45-50 seconds. Sometimes less, has any ever experienced this problem with LiveLink? When you did your datalogging did you run one continous file for all your different RPM's for no-load?
Thanks for any help.

Old 01-09-2006, 09:08 PM
I don't know if this will help, but they have a forum over at the SCT site. I beleive they have a whole section for the livelink.

[http://www.sctflash.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=76]

I also seen that they have a new XCAL?....looks like one that comes with a canned tune and the software to program it? Anyone know anything about this new model?

Old 01-10-2006, 12:39 AM
this sounds like a problem with your computer. I dataloged the no-load data in 1 continious file. I know it took over 2 minutes. Maybe you dont have enough room on your hard drive.

Old 01-10-2006, 01:26 PM
Originally Posted by 05SilverFX4
this sounds like a problem with your computer. I dataloged the no-load data in 1 continious file. I know it took over 2 minutes. Maybe you dont have enough room on your hard drive.
Thanks...It's an older computer from work that I borrowed. Does have XP on it, but probally not much hard drive room or RAM actually. I'll see if I can borrow someone else's laptop around.

Old 01-10-2006, 01:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I recorded nearly 15 minutes of data, and the file wasn't even as large as a small music file. I don't think it is an issue with disk space, but that is easy to check. Just open "my computer" select the drive, and look at the details on the left side of the screen. Or right click the drive and select "properties"

Old 01-10-2006, 09:10 PM
I got ahold of SCT tech support today and they said they have seen this problem a few times before, however haven't been able to reproduce the problem. He mentioned that it seems to be problems with the computers though. He suggested making sure there was plenty of RAM also that it had good battery power to power the USB port, etc. I also got the older LiveLink software emailed to me 2.18 I think to see if it works better with the older version.

Old 01-10-2006, 09:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It’s either a problem with livelink or your computer because theoretically, you should be able to drive around forever and still record the data but Microsoft Excel will only hold approximately 12 minutes, which is plenty for the purpose of data logging

Old 01-11-2006, 11:40 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi cycleman,

There have been a few people who mentioned having that time issue, but as SCT mentioned, they have not been able to repeat it, and it seems that it is a matter of the PC/laptop itself, as it's really very rare.

However, I do strongly advise using LiveLink version 2.18 instead of the latest 2.34 version, as the newest version does NOT properly re-open a saved configuration file, and that's a PITA. We don't use 2.34 ourselves, and it's got some additional features that make a difference for what *we* do, though won't make much difference for the vast majority of end users.

SO please do give version 2.18 a try - make sure you completely uninstall version 2.34 FIRST, before installing version 2.18 - then install version 2.,18 & see what happens.

One last thing - we really only need about 5 seconds of data at each rpm level on the no-load, so if you figure that you want to sample at idle, at 1500, 200, 2500 and then last at 3000 rpm, you should be able to get it done within that time frame, as we cna deal with 5 seconds of data at each approximate rpm level. And just as a reminder, you don't have to be at *exactly* 1500 rpm, or at *exactly* 2000 rpm, etc - that's very hard to do and takes time, so in this case, getting close to each rpm point is fine - so it's not the end of the world if we see data at 1350-1650 rpm for the 1500 rpm sample, and so on. Given that, you should be able to get the no-load data file recorded within that 45 second or so timeframe, worst case.

I hope this info helps, good luck & feel free to give us a call if you need to on this!

Old 01-11-2006, 05:21 PM
Mike,

Thanks for reassuring me on the no-load RPM information. I think I probally spent 20 seconds trying to get really really close to the RPM mark...I was getting pretty frustrated as it would go over, then I would overadjust, so 15 seconds of information turned into 45 seconds trying to get it spot on. I guess that's part of my personality. OCD Accountant that is always worried about the details!!!
I've got my appointment for Saturday for the dyno, so needless to say...I'm excited!!! I've read, re-read, and re-read the instructions..But I'll re-read one more time
Thanks
Jeremiah

Old 01-13-2006, 10:27 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
You're very welcome Jeremiah, and I appreciate your attention to detail - I too, tend to prefer being precise by nature, so I know the feeling. In this case, for the no-load data points at the 500 rpm increments, close works, since you'll really never get it exact except perhaps by luck or a LOT of time!

Good luck on the dyno!

Quick Reply: LiveLink Software Problems