The truth about calibrating Spanish Oak?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2005, 08:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The truth about calibrating Spanish Oak?

Yes, I'm a newbie, but I've used the search function quite a bit here...

I'm getting ready to plunk down the cash for an SCT XCalibrator 2 for my 2005 F150. To me, that's a lot of money.

My question is, does anybody really have this Spanish Oak processor figured out? I'm more of a Mustang guy and it seems like most of the write ups I read about people reflashing the computers in their 2005 Mustangs on dynos with the SCT software conclude with the same results. Something along the lines of:

"well, we did pull out another 20-30 peak hp with the tune... but this processor is very complicated, so there were still a lot of parameters we did not address. We don't know if we left any possible gains on the table or even if these results are repeatable."

This uncertainty makes me hesitate to purchase the Xcal2 right now. It makes me wonder if maybe one year from now, The Xcal2s that ship for the same price as the ones today will contain better tunes since the aftermarket will have had an extra year to figure this processor out.

I wonder if anyone can tell me SPECIFICALLY which parameters are adjusted by the most common tuning facilities. IOW, if you were there while they tuned your computer, what did they adjust?

Things like the ethrottle settings? Transmission upshifts and downshifts? Speed Limiter? Rev Limiter? Throttle cut when the transmission is placed in first and second gears? Temperature tables? Convertor lockup?

I'm no tuner so I have NO IDEA what all they are adjusting. According to SCT, the Xcalibrator will allow adjustment of 320 parameters. I want to make sure that my tune adjusts ANY parameter that will improve the performance of my truck. What are the chances that Anybody out there (Troyer Performance, Md Motorsports, Livernois, and so on) has tested making adjustments to all (or most) of these parameters?

Here is the bottom line- My F150 is my daily driver, so I want to make sure that part throttle between around 1500 and 3500 rpms is addressed as well. That is where my truck spends most of the time, so it's important to me. IOW, I'm not ONLY interested in improvements at WOT from 3000-5500. (although that IS important too)

Realistically, if we're only talking about an estimated difference of maybe three horsepower between the BEST tune and just a pretty good tune, then that's acceptable. However, if it could be a 10+ horsepower difference, I'd just wait until the tuners test on everyone else's trucks before I let them tune mine.

Make sense?

Any help is appreciated.

Old 06-21-2005, 10:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Xcalibrator-2 is just a piece of hardware. Troyer Performance does the best custom tunes that address all parameters. Give Mike a call you’ll be glad you did.

Troyer Performance, Inc.
Phone: (540) 862.9515

Old 06-21-2005, 11:24 PM
I would not be concerned with the number of parameters that can be adjusted. There are probaly more than the 320 offered on these vehicles.

Every one of the calibratable parameters has been developed by ford, for reliability, emmisions, performance, and fuel economy in mind. The changes to these tunes are based on years of research.

The results should be repeatable. while there may be more on the table, with the variable cam timing, there certainly is room for improvement in this area compared to stock, and this is part of how a custom tune will help with the part throttle performance. It is really hard to summarize the entire tuning process into 1 paragraph.

The Xcalibrator 2 does not ship with any "canned" programs currently, Your dealer will program the device. If you have concerns with this, contact each vendor and ask their expierence about the vehicle you need programmed.

Sometimes the less is more approach is a benefit, why change everything, whe you only need to change a few things to get the same effect?

Ryan

Old 06-22-2005, 07:55 AM
First of all Slow, I appreciate your response. It raises a few points though...

Originally Posted by slow
Every one of the calibratable parameters has been developed by ford, for reliability, emmisions, performance, and fuel economy in mind. The changes to these tunes are based on years of research.
There can only be two years of research. This processor has only been out since the 2004 model years came out.

The results should be repeatable. while there may be more on the table, with the variable cam timing, there certainly is room for improvement in this area compared to stock, and this is part of how a custom tune will help with the part throttle performance.
Right. The valve timing is one thing I want to make sure I get optimized. Thanks for bringing that up. BTW Livernois, who is notorious for Mustang tuning, said in an article that they did their best to duplicate temperatures and conditions with two dyno pulls that were done back to back and the two pulls were 20hp apart!

The Xcalibrator 2 does not ship with any "canned" programs currently, Your dealer will program the device. If you have concerns with this, contact each vendor and ask their expierence about the vehicle you need programmed.
Yep. I know this. Although there are two differing opinions on one thing. SCT says the end user (me) can adjust some basic parameters with the Xcal2. Troyer says you cannot adjust anything in his tunes with the Xcal2.

Still confused and unsure if I should buy now or later.

Old 06-22-2005, 08:16 AM
Originally Posted by Sharad
(Snip
SCT says the end user (me) can adjust some basic parameters with the Xcal2. Troyer says you cannot adjust anything in his tunes with the Xcal2.

Still confused and unsure if I should buy now or later.
There’s nothing to adjust with Mike’s tunes. His 14 plus years of specializing in tuning the F150 platform makes his custom tunes untouchable. SCT goes to him for advice when they’re stuck

Old 06-22-2005, 08:31 AM
Originally Posted by jpdadeo
There’s nothing to adjust with Mike’s tunes. His 14 plus years of specializing in tuning the F150 platform makes his custom tunes untouchable. SCT goes to him for advice when they’re stuck
Oh. I'm sorry. I was under the impression that I would have to recalibrate if I changed axle ratios or tire sizes.

Thanks for clearing that up for me!

Old 06-22-2005, 08:53 AM
```

Last edited by jpdadeo; 06-22-2005 at 09:35 PM.
Old 06-22-2005, 09:10 AM
My 2 cents

A couple of points. Perhaps I've been reading between the lines, but it doesn't sound like Mike is withholding the owner tune option on the Xcal2. It sounds like SuperChips hasn't released the software that will allow Mike to include that in his tunes yet.

I agree with jpdadeo, however. I'm not going to pay Mike for a tune and then start second guessing him. However, it would be a nice to be able to adjust for tire size, etc at some point.

In addition, reliability is even more important that performance. One of the things you read a lot about when it comes to chips and tuners is failure of the tune or the hardware. Part of what I am paying for is for Mike to provide me with a reliable custom tune that has less potential to result in problems than the generic tunes that come with some chips and tuners. Been there, done that.

I guess one final point. I'm a weekend tinkerer also. Even if I wanted to make sure that the tune covered all possible bases, how am I going to do that? I'd have to be as knowledgeable as the one who did the tune to determine that he was doing it correctly. My only recourse is to try to find someone who seems to know what he's doing and trust him to do the best job he can.

Enjoy.

Old 06-22-2005, 09:44 AM
Thanks for the replies guys... we're getting there, slowly but surely.

Originally Posted by LesPhelps
I'm a weekend tinkerer also. Even if I wanted to make sure that the tune covered all possible bases, how am I going to do that? I'd have to be as knowledgeable as the one who did the tune to determine that he was doing it correctly. My only recourse is to try to find someone who seems to know what he's doing and trust him to do the best job he can.
Enjoy.
I've got friends at Md Motorsports. They are less than two hours away, have a chassis dyno, and are one of the premiere SCT tuners as far as MUSTANGS go...

It would seem like a no brainer to take it to them. On the other hand, Troyer SPECIALIZES in F150s, so maybe he'd have a leg up on Md? One thing is certain though, this processor is just a couple years old! No one can claim to have YEARS of experience. It seems like anyone that started using SCT software to tune the Spanish Oak last year would be on a level playing field with everyone else if they're dynoing those vehicles regularly. However, this is the part that is uncertain to me.

That's why I posted this here. Surely someone here can tell me specifically WHY Troyer is better equipped to program my truck than any other SCT tuner that dyno tunes this processor regularly.

What I'm looking for (and maybe I won't get it) is for someone to say ________ is the best place to get your truck tuned because they adjust this this and that while the others only fiddle with this. Am I making ANY sense?

Old 06-22-2005, 10:26 AM
I can assure you that Mike has more knowledge of the of the processors in these trucks than any of the other SCT tuners out there. Including the latest versions that came into use in the past two years. GUARANTEED !!!
I will not go into detail on how or why, but you can bet on it !!!!
As for the Mustang tuners out there, I am sure there are many. However, with just a 4 pound lower pulley, bolt in Magnaflow replacement mufflers, a CAI, and Mikes custom tuning done through data-logging, not on a dyno, he enabled me to turn consistent 11.60's @ 121.9 mph in my 03 Cobra. Muscle Mustang and Fast Ford could not produce those times with the identical mods.. It took them several additional mods to run those numbers.
OH yea, I forgot, my Cobra ran a best of 11.22 @ 122 with these mods....
He gave me 495hp/628 ft lb. in my daily driven Lightning, and has tuned the last two Supercrews I have owned, including the 2004 4 x 4 one that I have now.
All I can say is that I tried several others before I finally became a Troyer Performance patron 5 years ago.The man is just plain talented !!!!!!!
He is also one of the most "genuine" people that I have ever met. Spending a day with him is something I find a way to do as often as possible..

Last edited by Marc Carpenter; 06-22-2005 at 10:30 AM.
Old 06-22-2005, 10:40 AM
TI've got friends at Md Motorsports. They are less than two hours away, have a chassis dyno, and are one of the premiere SCT tuners as far as MUSTANGS go...
I'm still not sure you are going to get what you are looking for. If you ask several SCT programmers if they are the best, I'm sure you will get more than one yes. In fact all your answers are likely to be yes. Why would they say no?

Right now, Mike seems to be spending a lot of time on Xcal2's and F150's. He also is spending a fair amount of time educating us. That is worth something.

My local Ford Performance shop is 3 miles away. They are neither educating me or specializing in F150's.

Enjoy.

Old 06-22-2005, 10:42 AM
Originally Posted by Marc Carpenter
As for the Mustang tuners out there, I am sure there are many. However, with just a 4 pound lower pulley, bolt in Magnaflow replacement mufflers, a CAI, and Mikes custom tuning done through data-logging, not on a dyno, he enabled me to turn consistent 11.60's @ 121.9 mph in my 03 Cobra. Muscle Mustang and Fast Ford could not produce those times with the identical mods.. It took them several additional mods to run those numbers.
OH yea, I forgot, my Cobra ran a best of 11.22 @ 122 with these mods....
Not trying to get into a contest or anything, and I understand that Troyer's is the place to go for efonefiddies...but you know Md's 2VNA car goes 10.80s, right? They've been featured in 5.0 Mustang magazine every month for about the past five months.

Last edited by Sharad; 06-22-2005 at 10:44 AM.
Old 06-22-2005, 11:11 AM
```

Last edited by jpdadeo; 06-22-2005 at 09:35 PM.
Old 06-22-2005, 11:13 AM
Not trying to get into a contest or anything, and I understand that Troyer's is the place to go for efonefiddies...but you know Md's 2VNA car goes 10.80s, right? They've been featured in 5.0 Mustang magazine every month for about the past five months.
No contest intended. I never meant that I had one of the fastest Cobras out there. All I intended by my statement was that although Mike is undoubtably the best 150 tuner, that he can also tune Mustangs.
I am not sure what mods Md's car has, but with the minimal mods I previously mentioned I was extremely happy with the 11.22. Daily driven on 94 octane pump gas. (4# pulley, Mufflers, cold air intake)

Old 06-22-2005, 11:51 AM
Yeah, that IS strong. Probably explains why your name sounds familiar to me too. I'm a mod over at Stangbangerz.com and I post at NMRARacing, Hardcore50, and Stangcrazy...

Anyway, it makes me very curious as to how similar the programming is between the Mustang and the F-150.

The only edge I know FOR CERTAIN that Troyer's would have over Md would be the "towing calibration". Md would have NO experience in tuning for tow. That IS important to me as well.. so we'll see.

Basically I need to ask Mike Troyer and the guys at Md the same questions and see what they say.

Quick Reply: The truth about calibrating Spanish Oak?