Highest Top Speeds with Superchip

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-1999, 08:35 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Question

HI!... LOVELL1 I heard you got your truck up to 125mph, thats great! Has anyone tried the same stunt with a SUPERCHIPPED F-150 5.4 4X2 RC SB? Just curios to see if the 5.4, with it's more power can mabey hit 130mph topped out.

------------------
NEAL [ the horsepower freak ] NEWMAN
'99' F-150 XLT SPORT, oxford white, reg cab shortbox stepside,5.4, auto, 3.55L.S, captain's chairs, bedliner, GTS carbon fiber headlight covers, **** CEPECK clear halogen driving lights, GTS slotted tailight covers (painted oxford white), FORD locking lug nuts, tinted windows,true duel exhaust with 2.5 inch mandrel bent pipes and FLOWMASTER 3 chamber mufflers with 3' tailpipes exiting before the rear wheel like the LIGHTNING, HELLWIG rear stabalizer bar, AUTOMETER guage pod and tranny temp guage, custom fabricated air intake trac and huge K/N filter, TPS mod, BELLTECH 2-inch rear drop, SUPERCHIP (truck won't start,"DAM"!!, soon to be installed 4.10 gears.

Old 08-04-1999, 08:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Neal, the SS and Firebird equivalent is limited to 159mph.

Take it easy,
Mark

Old 08-04-1999, 10:59 PM
Wink

Just as a note...the Texas Highway Patrol now has a Extended Cab F150 prowling the highways. Its black and it has a really great looking roll bar with what appear to be driving lights on it. These lights, however, only flash blue I haven't been able to find out how or if that truck is modified. Its kinda scary...it looks just like a regular black F150 in your rearview. <shudder>

Before I Superchipped my Truck this week, I have run up to 95mph coming into work from the boonies. It still had power to go and that was with a 4.2L and 3.08 axle. I don't know what it will do now...guess I'll find out.

By the way Mike, the wife says "her" truck runs fantastic now and she'll be very happy to confirm any SuperChip purchases in the future for any other husbands in need

Steve-

Old 08-05-1999, 12:04 AM
Wow, 8 mile stretch! I did it on a 1/3mile stretch and I hit only 93-95mph

------------------
Fast46Triton

1999 Ford F150 XLT Supercab, Shortbed, 4x2, 4 wheel disc brakes/4 wheel Anti-Lock Brakes, Cloth Seats, Amazon green, 16" All season tires, Soft Tonneau Cover, CD Player, 4.6 liter Triton V8, 3:55 ls, towing package, 4 speed auto, K&N Airfilter
Future Mods:
1)Superchip
2)Airbox Mod
3)Flowmaster Exhaust

Estimated Quarter Mile Time by the use of a calculator and websites:
ET: 16.7 Trap Speed: 83-84mph

Fast46Triton

Speed kills. Drive a Silverado or Ram and live forever!

Old 08-05-1999, 12:34 AM
when you are covering 2.5 miles a minute you want plenty of room to slow down without using the brakes at that speed.

Old 08-05-1999, 12:45 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

Dear MRBBQMAN,

Congratulations on your 148mph! And I'm very glad to hear you were able to do this safely. Sounds like it handles high speeds very well up to 140 or so. A couple other owners have mentioned that they feel very stable at high speeds too.

YAHOO!

Keep it between the ditches,

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com

Old 08-05-1999, 06:25 PM
Hey folks
Thanks again for the thoughts! As for top end speed of the Z28 I don't know but my wifes SLP SS will do 167mph.top. I have had my truck up to around 110 many times on the lonley strech of IH35 between nowhere and OK. no ill effects very stable.
To Beachdoc...Yes they are modified a little. Those Honey Bear Texas DPS trucks are set up in Aubrey Tex. They come in Black or White Ex cab or Short ver. 5.4 eng no speed limiter(did mike maybe sell them on super chips?) speed rated tires under sized pulleys and special elec.package. They can and will sneek up on you in a heart beat!! Also Denton and Grayson County have some of these also and are using them to patrol the back roads looking for those good ol boys on weekends.

------------------
Nastruck1-4.6-377s-Superchip-K&N GenII-Dynomax RaceMag With Roush tips-MPC bug shield-40-60 black tint windows-class3 drawbar hitch.Polk speakers.

[This message has been edited by lovell1 (edited 08-05-1999).]

Old 08-05-1999, 07:09 PM
Watch out for those Police Tahoes! They pack the Lt1 and they run 0-60 in 6.8 seconds! Beware!

------------------
Fast46Triton

1999 Ford F150 XLT Supercab, Shortbed, 4x2, 4 wheel disc brakes/4 wheel Anti-Lock Brakes, Cloth Seats, Amazon green, 16" All season tires, Soft Tonneau Cover, CD Player, 4.6 liter Triton V8, 3:55 ls, towing package, 4 speed auto, K&N Airfilter
Future Mods:
1)Superchip
2)Airbox Mod
3)Flowmaster Exhaust

Estimated Quarter Mile Time by the use of a calculator and websites:
ET: 16.7 Trap Speed: 83-84mph

Fast46Triton

Speed kills. Drive a Silverado or Ram and live forever!

Old 08-06-1999, 12:41 AM
Former Sponsor
Beachdoc, you crack me up! I couldn't remember who did that to me, thanks for reminding me!

You all will love this......Beachdoc calls me up to get info and to place his order, and when we're almost finished with everything, he says "Hey, wait a second...." His wife picks up the phone, and gives me her permission for him to Superchip both his vehicles! I rolled on the floor laughing, it took awhile for me to recover.

And since I posted what happened with that one husband trying to make his wife think he was a testing the Superchip for an automotive magazine, I've had several husbands order and request that we ship to them at work, and send the invoice & paperwork to their PO box that their wife knows nothing about! There are absolutely no limits to the lengths which we guys will go to get our toys, I've discovered. I love it!

The funniest thing about all this is, for the most part, it's the guys with higher incomes hiding these things from their wives! It's very rarely the guy who is struggling to make ends meet, like you might think.

It takes every single one of us to make this world go around!

I *love* this place!

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515

[This message has been edited by Superchips_Distributor (edited 08-05-1999).]

Old 08-06-1999, 01:58 PM
with my 4x4 tires, I hit 95 mph on I75 today, coming into work late... it was bang on 95 (the needle) I wonder if it was limited? I had pedal left too...

------------------
David
'99 F150 XLT SC, STYLESIDE
4X4 ORP 5.4L, AUTOMATIC,
139wb, Rhino, K&N,
BugGuard, RainGuards

Old 08-17-1999, 07:07 PM
Talking

When I first started looking at this thread I thought it was a joke ... but as I read on I relaxed a little.

I took my 97 V6 XL Supercab to Germany a couple of years back and drove it on the Autobahn. I frequently had it "pegged plus". It pegs at 100 and after that your guess is as good as mine. Admittedly, it took me a while to get her up there BUT once she was there she cruised just fine. This was with ZERO modifications (except for a European tuning AM/FM radio - but I don't think that made her go faster). All the posts about the SuperChipped V8's hitting 85 or 90 got my attention ... I'm relieved to see that we at least busted 100.

I just traded my well traveled 97 (purchased in Hawaii, shipped to Germany, driven to and in Austria, Italy, France, Belgium, Luxembourg, Poland, Czech and Turkey, then shipped back from Germany to the east coast and finally traded in Texas) for a 99 XLT. I guess I need to research the benefits of this Superchip thing.

Old 08-18-1999, 09:48 AM
Red face

On a Sunday morning I guess about a year-and-a-half ago, in winter time with little traffic, I had the speedo buried past 100 and still pulling going down I45. If I had to guess, I would say that I was somewhere around 110 when the limiter kicked in. The truck was and still is unchipped (trying to raise funds if anyone wants to donate, just let me know) and did not have the K&N or the oversized tires. That limiter is something else if you have never experienced one. As soon as it cut in, I looked in my rear view mirror to see if I had left bits and pieces of engine behind me. BTW The truck has a 4.6 V-8, 5spd and 3.08 rear-end

------------------
'97 F150 XLT SC 4x2 Oxford White. Kenwood CD player. K&N filter and Bosch plugs. Goodyear Wrangler GSA 265/75 tires
Future modifications planned are Gibson exhaust and headers, K&N Generation II, chip, and 2" front suspension lift

[This message has been edited by K2rider (edited 08-18-1999).]

Old 08-19-1999, 01:49 PM
Former Sponsor
Dear K2Rider,

That is an excellent point! I have long been irritated at the way Ford implements their top speed limiter, it's a complete and immediate fuel shut-off, and it feels almost like you hit the brakes! It can be dangerous, in my opinion. It could easily be implemented where the engine will simply be allowed to only maintain that speed, and not go above it, without the rude fuel shut-off, they could easily make it much less abrupt. But then, that would cost money.

We advise anyone looking for their own top speed to be very careful, have plenty of road, (length *and* width!)and be prepared for the feul shut-off between 98 and 108 mph, so that when it happens, you won't be disturbed and have an accident at high speed!

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515

Old 08-20-1999, 07:27 PM
Angry

Well my first road trip where I had a chance to test the Superchip out on the open road. Crusing along between southern Nevada and southern Utah, 80, 85, pegs at 90, kept going, then the speed limiter kicks in! What gives!? ;( Mike?

Neal Coppola

------------------
'94 F-150, 4.9 6cyl., K&N FIPK, Mangecor 8mm wires. Gibson 3" Side Swept, MSD Blaster Coil. Recently Superchipped! Stereo under construction, 2-10" Rockford Fosgate, 600 Watt Amp. Pioneer head unit, will sound great if it ever gets done! Est. 200 hp 300ft/lb. Torque! Not bad for a straight 6!! New project: '82 Stang, 351 Windsor. I'll keep ya posted.

Old 08-22-1999, 11:37 AM
Lightbulb

Even though the speedometer only reads to 100, it is still easy to figure out how fast you are going past 100 MPH. On trucks with the manual transmission, the tach can be used to accurately and easily determine speed. On trucks with the auto trans, I think you can do the same thing if the torque converter is locked-up. Actually, even if it's not locked-up you should still get a pretty good reading.

First, note what the RPM is at 100 MPH. From that you can calculate RPM/MPH. Then when you are at top speed, get the RPM and use the above to calculate MPH.

------------------
Danny
'98 F-150 Std., RC, SB, 4x2, 4.2L, 5-sp, 3.08, AC, speed control, rear slider
with Syntec engine oil, MTL trans fluid, Edelbrock shocks, 50 Series Flowmaster, K&N with airbox mod, electric radiator fan, Superchip on-order!

Quick Reply: Highest Top Speeds with Superchip