Highest Top Speeds with Superchip

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-1999, 07:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I pegged 92mph on a 1400 ft on a drivers acadamy strip, and it was still pulling strong.

------------------
1999 Ford F150 XLT 4x2, Cloth Seats, Amazon green, 16" All season tires, Soft Tonneau Cover, CD Player, 4.6 liter Triton V8, 3:55 ls, towing package, 4 speed auto, K&N Airfilter, soon Superchip and K&N GEN II.

Fast46Triton

The Terminator!

Old 07-05-1999, 12:48 AM
Yes, Montana has recently established a speed limit because too many out of state people were coming over to see how fast their vehicles would go.

Old 07-05-1999, 03:27 PM
Hi, all.
I have a Super cab XLT,4x4 ORP with a 5.4.
Live outside of Detroit and go see friends in Rochester N.Y. (near Buffalo).
Those Canucks are my kind of drivers!
I can cruse comfy at 85 mph on those long, flat and wide streches of highway and not even be the fastest driver on the road (mabe 3rd or 4th fastest.).
I have topped my truck out at what looks to be about 105 mph. There seems to be quite a bit left. The truck felt good as there were no cross winds. It was obvious that there was a LOT of air being shipped underneath this tall truck. I could see the truck getting pretty light at, say, 120 or so.
Ungoverned top speed???
Where are all those Superchip speed freaks??
Mabe they all end upside down in the ditch? Hope not, 150's look best right side up.
P.S. my Garmin GPS tops out at 100mph. It's a hikers unit. That's O.K. with me, I usually don't hike that fast.

Old 07-05-1999, 04:06 PM
Ender, that's right, the non-aviation Garmin units were speed limited until recently. I believe they also locked up the unit at speeds over 99 mph (ostensibly to prevent the general navigation units from being used in small aircraft) rather than just locking the speed at 99. The new units now go up to 999 mph.

Old 07-06-1999, 01:28 AM
Montana Speed Limit Clarification:

Montana has always had a speed limit. The last few years, Montana reverted back to the old law "Reasonable and Prudent" which stated that the speed had to be just that. I know that anybody driving over 100 would be stopped, no matter what you were driving. The ticket was at the officer's discretion based on vehicle condition (brakes, tires, etc), road conditions, visibility, traffic level and so forth. As of the end of May, the law was changed to 75 mph on interstate. I have just recently moved from Montana, so I can tell you that driving in the "Reasonable and Prudent" was a lot of fun, but you really had to keep on eye on the rear view mirrors for out of staters that were hauling butt. I enjoyed driving more before the "Reasonable and Prudent" because a speeding ticket was only $5, payable to the officer and was called a "wasting a natural resource ticket" which did not go on your driving record. All of my friends carried a 5 dollar bill in the glove compartment, just in case.

Interesting side note: Several months after the reasonable and prudent was in effect, the average speed had increased only 1.5 mph. I guess this shows that Montana's like to speed no matter what the law is.

------------------
1999 XLT SC, 4x4, Long Bed, 4.6 with manual trans. Deep wedgewood blue

Old 07-09-1999, 05:11 PM
Red face

Well my 7.3l PSD CC buried the speedo. My calculations with gearing and tires indicate a top speed of about 118, and I have no doubt I was there for a short period of time. This was on a long, straight, rural road in Nevada. Not bad for a 7600 pound vehicle. Was a rush, but not something I'd do regularly.

[This message has been edited by Jim Mayhugh (edited 07-09-1999).]

Old 07-10-1999, 07:40 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Dear Jim,

With that big, bad, Powerstroke TDI engine, I have no doubt you saw close to 120!I dare say it's probably a handful at that kind of speed as well. I don't know if I'd do it.......ah, who am I kidding, of course I would!

Thanks for your post,

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com

Old 07-11-1999, 05:38 PM
An oakland couty sherrif just got a '99 4x4 4.5 S/C, stock and was asking me about gas milage ect. He says he gets 14. I told him that's about top end for that truck, and suggested the chip ect. He said his dad got 17 mpg. I questioned the type of truck,(after questioning his "gramps-type" driving habits. He said it was the same (4x4, 5.4, S/C). When I told him the Fords top end was about 99 mph he said he had his at 110 and it still had power to spare. Now I'm not one to argue with a "cop" but have I been had? (about the topspeed and gas milage)
BTW this "sherrif enconter" was part of my job, I was not out "attacting attention."

Old 07-11-1999, 07:32 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
In stock form my truck would indicate 99 mph, with the superchip my truck would hit 99 mph and with the headers and exhaust with the cold air intake my truck runs into the speed limiter at an indicated 101 without the chip. I am sorry I cannot use the chip with the mods at top speed yet because it needs to recalibrated.

Chris

------------------
98 SC 4.6L stepside, Gibson headers, Gibson single exhaust, superchip, Intake mods, Piaa's, high end audio stuff.

Old 07-12-1999, 02:00 AM
Thumbs up

Here it is guys, my new truck with all the mods listed below, only a month old this week and you guys with these stories tempted me. I FEEL THE NEED FOR SPEED! Well I was on the freeway today very few cars in site, nice smooth long straight open stretch, so i went for it. It purred like a kitten it sailed smooth as a flag ship, then around 3,200 - 3,400 rpm's with the needle pegged at 100mph and still lots of room to go there was a loud growl! Could this be u-joints being stressed? I really dont plan on driving that fast again, but at the drags some day i might be topping that 100mph so I would like to know what that possibly could have been. Any suggestions?
Thanks, (I'll take the answers off the air now)

------------------
1999 F-150 XLT, Ext.Cab, 5.4L, 3:55 limited slip, 4x2, Bright Torch Red(all color matched-bumpers, mirrors) "Sport" pkg., Tonneau,285/50/17, 3" custom catback, Superchips, Airaid, Lowered 4" rear & 3" front, Herculiner bed lining(self install) AWESOME! Newest E/T at the drags 6/26/99: 14.9sec at 90.4 mph. For photos e-mail me at: whtstuff@aol.com OR my web page at Http://members.aol.com/whtstuff/myweb.html

Old 07-12-1999, 02:28 PM
Former Sponsor
Dear Andthensometoo,

You've been had, most likely. The top speed limiter on most of these vehicles is set at 98 mph, and is set on each vehicle to match the speed rating of the tires. A few have TS limiters of as high as 108, but i haven't seen one, though that dpoesn't mean it doesn't exist.

If the individual told you he was doing 110 mph, I wonder how he arrived at that figure? Since the speedometer ends at 100 mph, I mean. Did he have another officer tracking him, or radar, parhaps? If he told you he was doing 110, and could have gone faster, meaning he didn't run into the top speed limiter, then he's BS'ing you. Believe me, it happens, with cops, doctors, you name it, and people will BS about it. (Hurrah for F150online, where BS walks, and action talks!) Next time you see him, ask him how he measured his speed at 110, does he have a different speedo han the rest of these trucks, etc. is the first thing I'd want to know to verify his claim.

Good luck,

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515

Old 07-12-1999, 06:44 PM
Question

Regarding that officers story, is it possible he was able to order some type of police pkg? They usualy come with calibrated and higher reading spedo's. Possibly no speed limiter? I've never heard of an F-150 police pkg, but we don't always know what's available.
Jeff

------------------
1999 F150 Lariat
Reg cab Short box Styleside
5.4L 3.55ls
Deep Wedgwood Blue/Silver
Lund Interceptor hood shield, VentVisors, Class III hitch, Ford molded mud guards, soft tonneau

Old 07-13-1999, 12:37 AM
Smile

RE: GPS systems

I have the DeLorme Street Atlas w/ GPS. I think it works great. It didn't cost too much either. Now I just have to wait 'til the laptop gets here.

I tried it out with my father-in-law's laptop and was really impressed. DeLorme also has a topographical map package. I think that would great for off-roading!

I'll have to dig into the software to see if it can help me determine my speed.

Now if we can just get an interface between our laptops and the truck's computer

Got to go see if my laptop is here....

------------------
Don in Nashville
'99 F-250 SuperDuty SuperCab w/ 8' box, Woodland Green, V10, auto, 4WD ORP,
Towing Pkg. & Mirrors
Additions: Chrome Nerf Bars, LINE-X bedliner, Ventvisor Window deflectors, Bugflector II
Coming Additions: Toolbox, K&N filters, Superchip, ...

Old 07-13-1999, 01:05 PM
Former Sponsor
Nope, he couldn't have gotten it equipped that way from the factory, there is no F-150 police package, or any option that allows a '97 & up F-150 to run those kinds of speeds, except for the new Lightning.

It was an excellent idea though, as police packages do exist, and have for many years, just not on this particular vehicle. GM has a police package for their Tahoe, so some automakers make police packages for larger vehicles.

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515

Old 07-13-1999, 08:30 PM
Well folks I may have found out but as They say "Don't try this at home kids"
I was fixing breakfast for my wife and a good friend of mine out here in the boonies. I had put on some oil to heat in a skillet to fix some hash browns and got to talking and lost track of it. Next thing the smoke alarm was sounding and I had a grease fire a goin. Well I put a lid on it and a hot mitten on grabed the skillet and backed out the door with it. My wife held the door open for me but I turned around at the last moment to throw the damed thing out and it back flashed up my arm! Now that did just ruin my whole morning and breafast!! We packed Ice on it and debated on Sherman or Denton for a hospital. I said Denton as I worked with the daughter of the emg.clinic Doctor there. Now that you have the history here it is.
My friend loaded me up in my truck with ice on the burn and we took off. Leaving my wife to clean up the mess. We turned on the emg. flashers and took off on a 15 mile strech of road that was just built because of the new lake. WE HAD IT PEGGED!!! It went to the top of the speedo and kept going. About 8 miles we saw my wife in her Camaro SLP SS coming up on our rear and she was there the rest of the way to the hospital. Well we got there and I asked my wife how fast she was driving. She said she had it buried untill she caught up with us then had to slow down to 123 except one long down hill strect where she said we were doing 125. Man I don't know about the rest of ya'll but havin someone else drivin your beauty at that speed I thought I was goin to have a heart attack before we even got there!!!!
WILD RIDE!!!!!!!!

------------------
Nastruck1-4.6-377s-Superchip-K&N GenII-Dynomax RaceMag With Roush tips-MPC bug shield-40-60 black tint windows-class3 drawbar hitch.Polk speakers.

[This message has been edited by lovell1 (edited 07-13-1999).]

Quick Reply: Highest Top Speeds with Superchip